Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Playing with Pasta

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum

different stuffing

Cappelli del Prete

Raviolo/Agnolotto

Cappelletti

Tortellini

Ravioli/Agnolotti

Plin

Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Molly, that looks beyond awesome. I've been wanting to get into pasta making. What roller and cutter do you recommend?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    :bow: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think you guys like to cook more than most folks like to EAT!! =) Regardless, you sure do it well! ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Molly, that looks beyond awesome. I've been wanting to get into pasta making. What roller and cutter do you recommend?
    Pasta roller Marcato or Imperia, manual or with engine, every pasta roller accessories for KA or other brand of mixer. Every cutter for Marcato or Imperia, it depends what you need to do. Knive for tagliatelle, fettuccine, fedelini, tagliolini etc. The pastry cutter/shapes could be good also.  BTW Enrico uses a long wood roller and his hands to made sheets.

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Brian and I were talking about you guys yesterday and how you ruined eating lasagne for us.  If this is anything like your guys lasagne it's magical!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookn biker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Brian and I were talking about you guys yesterday and how you ruined eating lasagne for us.  If this is anything like your guys lasagne it's magical!
    We know how you all suffered for that  :) Soon we will change Colo. Spgs. too. Adam knows
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    We know how you all suffered for that  :) Soon we will change Colo. Spgs. too. Adam knows
    It's going to rock!  No doubt 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Beautiful work, I bet they taste even better. Great post.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    After my own heart, I love making homemade pasta!  You have enough fine dishes there to serve as a restaurant menu.  Bravo!  
    Two questions:  do you use straight eggs, or add additional yolks?
    Two: how long do you let your dough rest after kneading?  I used to wait a couple hours but then my local favorite Italian chef told me to let it hydrate overnight, made quite a difference.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cookn biker
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Botch said:
    After my own heart, I love making homemade pasta!  You have enough fine dishes there to serve as a restaurant menu.  Bravo!  
    Two questions:  do you use straight eggs, or add additional yolks?
    Two: how long do you let your dough rest after kneading?  I used to wait a couple hours but then my local favorite Italian chef told me to let it hydrate overnight, made quite a difference.  
    The house recipe is 1 whole egg 100 gr flour (you can add 25% of semolina and 75% all purpose if you like your pasta with more texture). If you like more egg flavor in your pasta you can add more yolks. (about 3 yolks = 1 whole egg, we are talking about large grade A egg so for exemple 300 gr all purpose flour, 100 gr semolina 2 whole eggs and 6 yolks).  People weight the eggs I never use this system. For the extruder pasta machine I need to go whit weight.
    Two hour is ok but if you can prepare your dough the day before and let rest it all night long in the fridge is better.

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    That is some beautiful looking eats! Fresh pasta is the best
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    Wow fantastic!
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Playing with pasta at my house means making structures with raw spaghetti and marshmallows. Holy cow, that looks good!
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Best post ever!

This really makes me miss my former step family (step dad cheated on my mom so she left him).  He was pretty much a jerk to me the 20 years they were together, but man o man, his moms cooking made up for it!  I miss it sooo much.

Sorry for the vent, that looks amazing!  Someday maybe I'll have the courage to try for myself.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I do not know anything about pasta except that I like to eat it. With that said, I certainly know what looks great and this does. Spectacular job. Nice work all the way around. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Completely speechless and in awe. Your response to DMW Dwayne has me looking at getting the pasta attachment/accessories for my KA. Thank you for sharing Molly. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I think everything has been said, but I'll add - WOW!  I stand impressed.
    Phoenix 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Damn, you're good.
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Holy Molly!  Incredible!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Molly wonderful photos.  Pasta looks amazing. Can you share the recipe for the photo of the asparagus and seafood? Thanks.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    In awe. Nothing else to say. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • CdnBaconNEgg
    Options
    That looks stellar.  I just put a fork through my screen....
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Fantastic!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • cookn biker
    Options

Here is ours, Imperia Monferrina Dolly Mini P3, it is a great pasta extruder.

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i was very afraid to look at this post =) now i have all week to lose the weight i just gained just from looking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookn biker
    Options
    sharhamm said:
    Molly wonderful photos.  Pasta looks amazing. Can you share the recipe for the photo of the asparagus and seafood? Thanks.
    Onion garlic and asparagus with shrimp bisque. Bring to a boil then blend. In a pan saute some asparagus tips and some shrimp with evoo. Add to the puree/sauce then incorporate with cooked pasta. The ravioli was with salmon stuffed.

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love pasta. The amount of work you put into it is phenomenal. Great looking cook.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Awesome machine, cookin biker. I have a Simac that I bought in the mid 80's. Still runs like a tank. How long does it take to dehydrate the pasta in a dehydrator? I've always just cooked it after making it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC