Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak sale at Home Depot finally hits mid-West

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
I know this has occurred elsewhere in the country earlier but not here until now. Sale runs through 5-10 at $9.88 for 17.6 # lump
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Thanks!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Byl
    Byl Posts: 5
    Options
    Price is right I picked up four bags this afternoon 
    Elgin, Illinois 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    Ron did you leave me some?

Also any big plans for the 15k post?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron did you leave me some?

Also any big plans for the 15k post?
    My post was just a heads up kind of post. At last count I still have over 600 pounds of lump consisting of Royal Oak, Ozark Oak, Rockwood and one TRUE 20 pounder of a lump called Chicago Charcoal which I know is at least 15 years old. Not sure that bag is like wine, bourbon or whatever, but who knows...it MAY wind up on Antique Road Show some time in the future! If you want to buy it now before the bidding process starts at a reputable auction house out East please contact your financial advisor as I will only be accepting payment in gold bullion! 
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I bought some RO today!  I am wondering how much charcoal is the norm to have on hand?  How much do most of you eggers use in a year?  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Chowman said:
    I bought some RO today!  I am wondering how much charcoal is the norm to have on hand?  How much do most of you eggers use in a year?  
    Hard to say, but I'd guess around 300 to 400 pounds is average for usage with at least 150 pounds on hand, as @lousubcap says YMMV. Like Ron I have a number of different varieties laying around, nothing as spectacular as vintage Chicago, but still well over 300 pounds. As I see it on sale, I grab some and try to rotate the stock. 

Squirrels have nothing on us lump whores. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Ok I need to buy more!  About at 200 lb now and my wife already thinks I'm crazy.  
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    same price in WNY.  Picked up a dozen bags
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    200lbs here.  Don't feel safe with that little.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    About 100lbs here
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I cleaned the Bay City store out of their last four bags. 100# in the garage should hold me for the summer.  Egg On !

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Above RO sale also running in the L'ville area.  Must be a Derby deal:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Not here in Olympia Washington.  13.99
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Thanks @RRP heading there today, they have 10bags, and they are all mine. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    picked up 5 today.  thanks.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Snagged five.  Thanks Ron!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Royal Oak is the BEST?    I've had mediocre luck.
    First bag from HD, on sale, was MOSTLY mid to small pieces, though low in dust.   A couple un-charcoaled pieces, too.

I suspect California gets 'what little John shot at' since the powers-that-be want everyone cooking with gas and conforming to California's Foreign Policy of globalism.  

Working on the 2nd bag NOW, but no more impressed than I was with the FIRST.  

In DE-ASHING / CLEANING today I found 2 chunks of what appear to be rock or cement or some kind of chunks of Ceramic.   My grill is Perfectly Intact.

Jury will remain out until I have more data and experience.  
  • RRP
    Options
    Begger said:
    Royal Oak is the BEST?    I've had mediocre luck.
    First bag from HD, on sale, was MOSTLY mid to small pieces, though low in dust.   A couple un-charcoaled pieces, too.

Are you open to suggestions? It is possible that you might have gotten a bag with the dredges but most likely it was roughly handled in transit clear to CA. Here's what I do when I can - I avoid any bags that have been restacked on the shelves in the stores. I prefer to pick up up off the pallet as they were stacked at the kiln. Also pick up the bag and give it a shake. It should have a crisp sound of clinking of the large piece hitting against each other. Also the bag should feel full and hard without a lot of air space at the top. Lastly when shaken then small pieces in damaged bags will have a sliding sound. Practice makes perfect, but your best bet is lifting it off the pallet! 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I need to get over there today.  Thanks for the heads up!
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Picked up 5 bags in northern illinois. Will work for my wok cooks at that price.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Picked up a couple of bags last night..still have some OO (!!), WW, Fogo and Rockwood.  Plus some Hasty Bake (OO) that I bought from Amazon after the great "OO is going out of biz" panic of 2015.

I've had real hit and miss (more miss) experience with RO.  LOTS of small (unsable) scrap and dust. 

I pulled the 2 bags off of a palette and felt both for "firmness".  Shook them a bit and didn't hear a lot of rattling - so am HOPING I got decent bags, but with RO it's always "lump lottery" as to whether you're going to get a usable bag or will wind up throwing half+ of it out.

Hoping these 2 bags are better than the junk I bought at WW one year.  That was 60+% dust and tiny almost crushed pieces.

PS: I checked the price online before going and it was $9.88 (or whatever pennies).  Got to the store and it was showing full price.  Had to have a HD guy mark the "right" price on the bags after showing him the website - but rang up right at the register anyway, so YMMV.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I figure I will mix it in half and half with rockwood.

Plus there are some cooks that just don't matter as much with type of wood.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    They have it here in Pennsylvania. Just bought 5 bags to last me while I decide which charcoal I want to try next. They still had some left but don't know how many.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Begger RO is far from the best, it is an inexpensive mediocre brand of lump. There are some worse and some better, but for the value it is often hard to beat - like in the sale RRP points out. If you have time to let the VOCs clear it will preform just fine with a touch of its own wood smoke. Some of the more expensive brands have better quality and are much more neutral with respect to smoke - but then they are more expensive. Family actually likes RO for pizza, nice wood fire taste.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Picked up 10. Walmart had it I think for $7.99 last year
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    No sale price in FL Home Depots.  Oh well.
  • RRP
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    No sale price in FL Home Depots.  Oh well.
    I think the FL sale at HD was maybe a month ago.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @stompbox ...dont mix the two. It'd be like watering down jet fuel.
    A while back I had the "chance" to cook with RO. It blows. It took forever to burn off. If you have to, order Rockwood off of Fire craft. 
    RO vs RW. Sure the price is better, maybe half but look at the number of cooks you'll get with RW. Probably twice as many. I've done l&s with RO and have had to add lump. The same cook with Rockwood and have enough left over for a Spatchcock and another for burgers. For the same money per cook you're getting quicker egg startup but mainly a really clean lump without a bunch of chit in it. The only thing I've found in Rockwood are solid and clean cooks. Jmho, ymmv, I'll stfu.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    henapple said:
     Jmho, ymmv, I'll stfu.
    Yeah right!! LOL.   

Couldn't agree more with @henapple entire post.  Don't water down the jet fuel!!! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I find RO and it's private brand brand knock-offs to be good for any hot&fast cook where the temperature/heat from the lump is all you are looking for.  A paella or wok cook comes to mind as a way to run the lump and get decent mileage out of a lower grade fuel.  
    However, if it is what you choose to use across the board then you will do fine as long as you know the performance characteristics going in.  Just an opinion on a very sensitive subject in these parts :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.