Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really love brisket but it's only for two of us... what to do

My wife and I love brisket but I've always only smoked a full packer when doing it for a family or neighborhood gatherings. We'd really like to have it more often than that so I'm looking for ideas on how to accomplish this.

I suppose I could buy small flats or points and just smoke those but I really only have experience with full packers. We have a vacuum sealer so that's a possibility to use in our solution but I suppose multiple seals & reheats would be a problem after the first time or two. It will take several meals for us to finish off a full packer!

Really appreciate any ideas that you may come up with!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Just smoke the full Packard as normal and then make up servings and put into vac bags. Take out of the freezer when the mode hits and reheat in the freezer bag in a pot of simmering water.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Thanks for the reply... So you're recommending that I slice the entire packer and then vacuum seal servings for two? I always felt that you needed to keep the brisket whole and only slice when serving to eat.

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Just smoke the full Packard as normal and then make up servings and put into vac bags. Take out of the freezer when the mode hits and reheat in the freezer bag in a pot of simmering water.
    +1 for this. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I did an 11.7lb. packer a couple weeks ago and cut it into serving portions for the wife and I. I do that same for the Pulled Pork and everything else I make. I make large portions and break them down in meal size. We have a lot of Soups,Pulled Pork, and Brisket just waiting for our dinner. Oh I for got the Meatball Sandwiches I have portioned out too.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    @GaryLange... do you leave the serving size cut as a chunk and then slice it or do you just slice the whole packer first and then seal?

• GaryLange
    I didn't slice the Brisket up just cut into chunks and froze it that way. Will put it into a Crockpot with some Beef Stock and warm it up. We do the same for the Pork except it already has the juice in it.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    GaryLange said:
    I didn't slice the Brisket up just cut into chunks and froze it that way. Will put it into a Crockpot with some Beef Stock and warm it up. We do the same for the Pork except it already has the juice in it.
    I'm kinda thinking this is the way to go. I'll probably opt to reheat in the vacuum bag in a pot of boiling water and then slice and serve.

• GaryLange
    That will work also. Just keep the plastic away from the bottom and sides of the pot or it will get melted. Hang it in the pot on a wooden spoon with some heavy clips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    If you can score just points then you are golden with the smaller volume cook. Flats are definitely more of a challenge to hit an eggcellent result.  
    The above said, ever since the local Costco started to offer packers on a random basis, I buy and smoke them.  Just two of us for the most part but have not let that deter the cook (best part of the journey!).  When finished I will slice only what we will eat (or give to neighbors) then leave the bulk in the fridge and am able to get thru the remainder within the week.  I look for the smallest and floppiest packers I can find and generally end up with around 11-12 lb range before trimming.  
    Of course you gotta love brisket for several days running for this to work.  (BTW-not from Texas:) ).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    @lousubcap... Can you actually find brisket points only? If so where?

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Thanks for the reply... So you're recommending that I slice the entire packer and then vacuum seal servings for two? I always felt that you needed to keep the brisket whole and only slice when serving to eat.
    Slicing early is only an issue when the brisket is hot.  Cool the brisket in the fridge overnight, then slice it.  Put it in the sealing bags with slices only stacked 1-2 slices high.  This keeps the bags thin, so they can be reheated from frozen in just minutes.  And I just use hot water, like 140-160 degree to reheat.  Boiling/simmering water is not needed.  

Slices come out of the bag as juicy as they were the first night.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    edited May 2015
    I have never found them as stand alone but my comment was based on your statement about buying them.  I thought you had a source.  That said, there are occasional posters who have scored points only but that is quite rare.  So, no real help here-
    Edit-this thread may help you out:
    Smoking a brisket to freeze. Tips? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Cowdogs said:
    Slicing early is only an issue when the brisket is hot.  Cool the brisket in the fridge overnight, then slice it.  Put it in the sealing bags with slices only stacked 1-2 slices high.  This keeps the bags thin, so they can be reheated from frozen in just minutes.  And I just use hot water, like 140-160 degree to reheat.  Boiling/simmering water is not needed.  

Slices come out of the bag as juicy as they were the first night.
    This may push me to buy a food sealer, as I have half the number of people that Bubba does eating on a brisket.   :D

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @lousubcap... Can you actually find brisket points only? If so where?
    Talk to your local butcher. Ask for "second cut" or "deckle". My butcher takes a whole brisket, makes a vertical cut to split it into two pieces. He sells the flat piece at a premium to other customers and I take home a nice piece of fatty brisket. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,099
    chrisc133 said:
    +1 for this. 
    Yup. 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Great info everyone... I'm going to give it a try with a full packer. Will also talk to the local butcher and see what the chances are of getting a point every now and then.