Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you keep your porker moist?

Lol...cooking a butt tomorrow and I want to baste with something to keep the meat from drying out. Would apple cider vinegar,apple juice and brown sugar mixture be ok?

Cooking 250 indirect.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,529
    I think  RRP lubes his with Dukes mayo..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Nothing. No need. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nothing. No need. 
    ^^^ This.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    No spritz at all? The last ham I did came out a little dry on the outside,maybe I drifted a little too hot I guess. Got up to 275 from what I remember.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,531
    No need to spray, if you want to inject with apple juice prior to the cook you can.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Carolina Q
    Never. Dunno about ham. I was assuming you're doing pulled pork. I've never cooked a butt any other way. Not needed for that cook.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    NOTHING.  Dry drip pan, no spritz, no mop.  My first butt was so moist I thought it was under cooked!  There's plenty of fat for moisture. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited May 2015
    Ok then no spritz ...you guys are the experts. Pull at around 205 right?

Us Newfies don't know much about pulled pork lol!!

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,531
    edited May 2015
    @CANMAN1976 start check around 190, when it  probes without any resistance, it's ready to pull... My last one finished at 195.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I usually cook mine till the bone pulls out clean. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Carolina Q
    I start checking at 195-ish. When the bone pulls out or the probe meets no resistance, it's Miler time!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I start checking at 195-ish. When the bone pulls out or the probe meets no resistance, it's Miler time!
    ^^^^ +1 except for Miller time. Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Go Naked. Or mustard or mayo for a binder and rub or no rub. I don't see a need to spritz or mop a butt period especially in an egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Go Naked. Or mustard or mayo for a binder and rub or no rub. I don't see a need to spritz or mop a butt period especially in an egg. 
    Mustard? Mayo? It's a butt, not a ham sandwich. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    bo_mull said:
    I usually cook mine till the bone pulls out clean. 
    This. Usually start checking it at 190.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    @Carolina Q Don't bust balls Michael. Binder only. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    I just cooked two 7 pounders today at 300 (turbo) and they turned out excellent.  I used a little pecan and peach wood chunks, but not much.  Only took about six hours at this temp, as well.  No basting and only wrapped when pulled--just a little mustard and rub in the beginning.  (I pulled at 203, but only because it probed like butter at this temp)

Edit:  Oops.  I did inject with apple juice prior to this cook.  I don't always do this, and isn't absolutely necessary.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Carolina Q
    @Carolina Q Don't bust balls Michael. Binder only. :lol: 
    =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,099
    I inject my butts with peach nectar
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I followed the Myron Mixon method of doing Pork Butt's the first time I did some and the wife was hooked. Lets face it guys the wife is the only on I have to please. I inject it with Hog Injection then Rub it with a good Pork Rub and let it set overnight. I get the egg going and stable at 250* and put the pan with the Butts on and let the go for about 3 hours. The take the out put them in a clean pan and a cut of Apple Juice cover the pan at put it back on until they are at 195* to 205* and ready to let rest the pull. Makes me happy and the wife is happy. I have to put it into meals or she will pick in gone. Amazing what a 100lb woman can eat when it is something she loves.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Regarding drip pans, you definitely need one elevated from your heat deflector to manage the renderings.  No need for any liquid in the pan.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Soak it in cider!