Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you sit your brisket on?

Options
Some wrap with foil later in the cook, but I didn't find a discussion on what to put on the grate. 

Does most folks place the brisket directly on the grate, or do they use foil on the surface?

I put foil on the surface and it gathers a ton of rendered fat and the brisket simmers on it. I also go fat down for this reason. I get great results, but have never tried without the foil. 
Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

Comments

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    edited May 2015
    Options

Early in the cook. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    I put it right on the grate, over an (empty) drip pan.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker so he is saying he boil it like T Strick?

I go straight on the grate and see no reason yet why I would do any differently
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Right on the grate fat cap up here
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Right on grate, fat cap down.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    No help here-I don't F--- with a brisket til it has crossed the finish-line and then the clock and slice time determines the next move.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Place mine directly onto the grid. Indirect obviously. Edit: no drip pan and aluminum foil shielding the PS for easy cleanup. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    During my cook, I did use the foil on the grid and it turned out great.  "Best yet" my wife proclaimed.  I will try without the foil next time to see how it goes (probably this week.)    

@HPHuskerFL - I will try without the drip pan too.  Great thought on the foil on the PS.   

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Directly on the grate, fat side down with a water pan underneath it sitting on top of the cast iron platesetter.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    More often than not, I place mine directly on the grate. However there are times that I will use a cooling rack. I place the brisket on the cooling rack and then sit the cooling rack on the grate. I only do this for special circumstances such as a 2 or 3 smoker cook. It aids in moving the meat from smoker to smoker. It has no benefit as far as how the meat cooks. Just makes it a breeze to move from unit to unit. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.