Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would you do?

NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
I've eaten at MANY restaurants and have had pleasant experiences for the most part. I rarely go out to eat and being in the business I'm in I normally know where not to go.  So, tonight I wanted to make a unbiased comparison to my extraordinary sushi dinner at a hole in the wall Mom & Pop to a Large establishment. The two I'm comparing here are the "Mom & Pop" VS
http://m.yelp.com/biz/yama-sushi-and-bento-middleburg

And then the other. Feel free to read the reviews. 
http://m.yelp.com/biz/ichiban-chinese-restaurant-fleming-island

Fun fact I'm very understanding when it comes to food service because I realize it's tough to please everyone. But, when a "Chef" quite literally laughs at me and doesn't make any more "fresh" sushi it'll piss me off something fierce. The question is do you pay the bill?  In my 43 yrs I've NEVER not paid a bill or Dine & Dash. Not until tonight. 
What would you do???
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Maybe he was laughing with you... Really need more specifics, but I don't think I'd D&D. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    If that bad ffw f him feed him wheaties 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited May 2015
    When my wife use to serve she as a server would have to pay the the dine and dash customers bill out of her own pocket.  If it happend twice you were fired.  The blame goes on the server for not "watching" their 6+ tables at once.  I personally couldn't ever justify dine and ditching just knowing what it can do to others.  My own conscious would get the better of me.   Just my personal opinion though.   
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    No tip and bad revue but not D&D IMHO. But on the other hand I wasn't there 
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    @stemc33Specific. He looked directly at me pointed at me since I was 3ft from his sorry behind and then went on a 20 minute break. I didn't even eat a whole plate and I sternly informed the GM there was no way in Hades I'd pay for this pathetic excuse of a meal. And he walked away without saying a word. I might add I was calm, cool and collected.  But, inside I was like you've gotta be freaking kidding me!  Felt like I was getting punked by Aston Kutcher.  It was unreal. 
    Read reviews of both places. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited May 2015
    @stemc33Specific. He looked directly at me pointed at me since I was 3ft from his sorry behind and then went on a 20 minute break. I didn't even eat a whole plate and I sternly informed the GM there was no way in Hades I'd pay for this pathetic excuse of a meal. And he walked away without saying a word. I might add I was calm, cool and collected.  But, inside I was like you've gotta be freaking kidding me!  Felt like I was getting punked by Aston Kutcher.  It was unreal. 
    Read reviews of both places. 
    So it wasn't so much as a dine and ditch as you talked with the GM and said you weren't going to pay for it.  That's completely understandable.  I think as a customer you have the right as you told them you were dissatisfied.  Meals get comped all the time when customers aren't satisfied.  As long as you let them know it shouldn't be any real issue with them.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stemc33
    I guess I've never been in that situation in a restaurant. When ever I've had to speak to the manager, I usually get offered a discount or free meal and a genuine apology.  I will however leave a 1¢ tip to make a statement about rude uncalled for service. It's better than no tip IMO. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 said:
    I guess I've never been in that situation in a restaurant. When ever I've had to speak to the manager, I usually get offered a discount or free meal and a genuine apology.  I will however leave a 1¢ tip to make a statement about rude uncalled for service. It's better than no tip IMO. 
    BTW, I do understand people have bad days and usually leave a tip if I feel that's the case. It's when the service is just plain rude that I leave 1¢. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    No I'd NEVER Dine & Ditch. Period. Where our Son works the servers get hit when customers D&D and I wouldn't do that to anyone. But, this was ridiculous!  I work hard for my paycheck and expect the same in return. I'd be very surprised if their doors are open another 3 months. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    I literally handed the manager the plate of food and told him there was no way I'd pay for it and he sat the plate down, didn't say a word and walked away. Real problem solver this guy. Had he offered a solution I may have had a different opinion of my experience here. Obviously I'm not alone in this. The place is huge and I went at prime time dinner dining and it was a ghost town.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    My only thing would be was the service that bad or just the chef. If your waiter/waitress did good I would hate not to tip them. But I would also speak with the manager about the bill again
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited May 2015
    I came close to a 1/2 dine & ditch once. IMO, when a couple orders food, both diners should be delivered their meal at the same time, or at least very close.  One time my wife was served first.  Now she is a slow eater.  When she was 1/2 way done with her dinner and mine still had not arrived, I told her, if mine isn't here before you finish, we are walking out.  Mine arrived a few minutes later, with an apology for the delay, but waiting 15+ minutes for mine after my wife was served was too late for just a verbal apology to save the tip.  It also meant I waited over a year before returning to see if they had got their act together.  Now, if they would have made my dinner free for waiting so long, I would have tipped them and I would have returned sooner to give them a 2nd chance to get it right.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    @Hunter1881 Tip was left for server. Food....$0
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Hunter1881 and to be fair it's a buffet and I had water and nothing else from the server. Literally nothing. Server wasn't the issue. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited May 2015
    Im proud of you for talking to the manager. I seriously mean it. Ive worked in food service, so I try to be a good guest. Generally, when Im unhappy I just tend to stew about it and not go back. Ive only been irritated enough once to actually ask to speak to the gm. More people should.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    edited May 2015
    After reading more of your posts, I think you did the right thing. That's not considered D&Ding...in my book anyway.

Let it go and fire up the egg. Actually fire 'em both up after the night you've had. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    @stemc33 Nope. No egging tonight. All things considered I had a stellar day today and will post more about that tomorrow :wink: Hitting the rack soon. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @PNWFoodie when people have poor experiences dining out they should speak up.  Stewing won't help you or them. It CAN be done tactfully too I might add.  **** happens, orders get messed up, etc but most people and restaurants do their best to attempt to make it right. This was the FIRST & ONLY time this has happened to me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Knowing you through the forum as I do, I can only assume that you aren't even fully telling the story. If you are that dissatisfied with a meal I wouldn't consider it a dine and dash at all. Guessing you barely took a bite, and with the disrespect you were given from management, that only compounds the problem. 

Fact is you will have a fantastic meal tomorrow off of the Egg, but have to do the dishes.  Like you, Sushi is the only meal that I feel I can't do better then a restaurant and to be treated like that is absurd. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Well sounds to me like you did ok.  I would not pay for food I didn't eat either.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2015
    I'm a pussycat unless it's egregious.   When <== (it) is that, I will work the polite British "suggestion" method, overly so for added effect, then see what happens.  If an indignant response is uttered, I will escalate.  I've been in the food service industry and satisfying the customer is the number one rule, if you can't, then comp it.
    No argument from me for how you handled it, I'm just wondering why you chose a Chinese buffet to compare to the little authentic gem of a sushi place you found.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    @Legume This used to be called Wasabis. It was at one point an outstanding spot for Sushi. The typical "under new management" montra. It's too bad because it used to be a spot HuskerMaMa & I would pay patronage to. No more. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That sucks.  I don't think you did anything wrong.  I would've done the same.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I had steak dinner for two couples comped once about 20 years ago after we received horrible food and service. I asked the manager to come to the table and gave him some venom and he apologized and comped the whole ticket. Never went back. Most of my other disappointments were lower cost meals where I was taking a chance that didnt pay off and I simply dont go back.....the wallet is where the power is.  
    Jacksonville FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Whelp, that just sucks then Blake when a good place goes to suckyville.  I've had that happen a few times, places you have good memories of and sometimes it takes a few times to realize that it now sucks but your brain is giving it a nostalgia upgrade.  Consider yourself lucky for not having to eat there more than once to figure it out.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    Agreed @Dobie Patronage keeps doors open...comping a meal seems to be the only way things are done.  As a hospitality manager &/or owner it's critical & crucial to "listen" to constructive criticism. It may be the difference of doors remaining open or a vacant space. One customer lost over poor food or service shouldn't be acceptable to them. Losing a customer over price is. 
    This has always been my philosophy in my line of work and it has served me well. Losing an account because of price is understandable. Losing an account due to poor service &/or customer service is not acceptable.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014