Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steaks Rule!

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I made Fajitas with a Skirt Steak. I had marinated the steak overnight in a Lime Fajita Mix that I was trying for someone. I mixed the dry ingredients with Dark Soy, Olive Oil, Key Lime Juice and Tequila. I fired up the Egg with a half-n-half mixture of Mesquite and Hardwood Charcoal. I no time the temperature was running at 600, thanks to KennyG’s New and Improved Turbo Grate. [p]I seared the steak for two minutes per side and let it dwell for three. As I was watching the egg during the dwell, I noticed moisture droplets coming from the edge of the cap rolling down the dome. This just added to my anticipation.[p]When I retrieved the Skirt Steak, it came out absolutely a perfect medium rare. Skirt Steaks are just full of flavor. The bowl that I had placed the sliced meat in was full of juice. Not wanting to waste it, I put some burrito rice in the empty bowl to soak up the juice. Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum YUM YUM YUUMMMMMMMMMM[p]You have got to try Skirt Steaks,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    I have heard great things about the flavor. Your marinade sounds incredibly tasty. Any idea what was in the fajita mix you used?? [p]Also, wondering how skirt steak would work on kabobs....cut into strips against the grain, and folded onto the skewer??
    I am doing some kabobs tonight with some beef tenderloin that was on sale. Should be interseting! Also some chicken kabobs, and some pineapple/red pepper/zuchini/vidalia onion kabobs. [p]Well, back to my wheelbarrow/shovel/gravel.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I gotta try this one! Never having gone looking for skirt steak, are they readily available or do you get them custom cut for you down at the market?[p]BTW, mini Egg says "hi" (with chipotle breath)[p]K~G

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    KennyG,
    I think skirt steak is the same as flank steak.
    JimW

• Nature Boy,
    The Fajita Mix is custom blend from the store that I buy my Chile Products from, Hot Prospects in Cleveland. They wanted me to try it out, so I did. It worked better on Beef than Chicken.[p]I would use my Cinco De Mayo Fajita recipe. You could add some dark soy to that recipe. Coincidently, the dark soy that I was using was Jamaican and not Asian.[p]I guess that you could use skirt steak for Kabobs, but I think that the meat would cook very quick and come out more like Satay, not that there is anything wrong with that. Skirt steak is, by nature, a thin cut of meat.[p]The Tenderloin Kabobs sound yummy.[p]Happy Shoveling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• JimW,[p] Not the same, but similar.[p]<a href="http://www.beef.org/kitchen/beef_cut_charts.htm"><font size="+2" color="#008000">Beef
    Cuts</font></a> [p]MikeO

• JimW,
    Skirt Steak is similar but different from Flank Steak. First and foremost, it is priced in the $2 a pound range.[p]I linked in the first Article that I found on Skirt Steak and boy did it have some tasty sound recipes in there.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• And Now the Link...
    [ul][li]Skirt Steak Article[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk,[p] Do you subscribe to Fine Cooking (the paper version)? I do -- just wondering what you think about it.[p]MikeO
  • KennyG,
    I do buy my Skirt Steaks at the West Side Market from Vince’s Meats. However, they are not a special cut. You may have to ask for it by name, but it should not be a hard cut of meat to find at other meat stores. Vince’s does not always have them; they are a very popular cut of meat for him due to the large Latino population in the area around the market. If you definitely want one, make sure that call ahead.[p]Tell the Baby BGE that I miss him, but he is having a better time at your house right now.[p]Happy Grilling
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• MikeO,
    No, I have never read the magazine. It just happened to the first link that was returned in a Yahoo search.[p]BTW, Thanks for Beef Cut Chart. Images like that should permanently linked into the BGE website.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,[p] Yeah, I like that beef chart as well as the one for Canada Beef. Fine Cooking is a good magazine. I get that and Cook's Illustrated. Gave up all the other ones (now I have more money to spend on utensils!). I try to play in the Kim O'Donnel "What's Cooking" live chat on washingtonpost.com on Tuesdays. Not a week goes by that I don't submit an answer for someone in which I reference the Fine Cooking site. Their forums are entertaining as well (though a bit oo high-volume for me).[p]MikeO
  • MikeO,
    I get Cook’s Illustrated, Chile Pepper and Cooking Pleasures. I also buy a copy of Herb Companion when I think about it. I will pick up a copy of Fine Cooking when I get a chance.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,[p]I remember asking the meat dept guy at the commissary for skirt steak saying something about making fajitas. price was $1.98 a pound. Then suddenly a week later it was labeled "fajita steak" and was 3.99 a pound. [p]I always make twice as much as needed because it heats up well in the microwave and it is just plain tasty![p]Try some Habenero Tabasco with it. UM UM Good![p]TT