Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal rock

Options
Has any one gotten rocks in there bag of lump

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome to the world of natural lump charcoal. They all have occasional foreign bodies. Some worse than others. 
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I switched to Ozark oak. I found royal oak too smokey for me, but especially my wife. Problem is I think Ozark oak has gone away, so next online order will be for rockwood.

I just use royal oak for clean burns now.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    get a rock or something now and then, never anything that size
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Yes, when I used to use Royal Oak, but not as much now that I use Rockwood.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nope. not that i've noticed anyway. RO (mostly) and WG for nearly six years now. then again, I just dump and light. maybe if I examined each piece? but even during the extremely rare clean out, i don't recall ever seeing an unburned rock. or any other foreign substance.

BTW, what are the bucket and box for?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I’ll see your rock and raise you a meteorite.... from the same bag of Royal Choke, a few years ago - the squares are 1”. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I found a small one, like the size of a golf ball, but never anything as large as some of these.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have had crushed beer cans (no not the ones I drank), railroad nail spike and rocks over the past few years.  I think most were from RO but I have seen this in other brands as well.  

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @robnybbq - beer can, first time ever heard that! Do you have a return for refund in your area? Kinda like a 5 or 10 cent discount on lump. Railway spike is scary - makes you wonder if a tie was in that bag... :o
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    rocks? Here's just some of my prizes! I thought they got the idea from CrackerJack!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @robnybbq - beer can, first time ever heard that! Do you have a return for refund in your area? Kinda like a 5 or 10 cent discount on lump. Railway spike is scary - makes you wonder if a tie was in that bag... :o

Unlikely......no reason to kiln one of those when they're worth a lot more than scrap hardwood slabs.  More like someone nailed it into a tree decades ago and the tree grew around it, encapsulating it.  Knotty chunks get rejected by the mill and they're sold for charcoal or mulch.  Same goes with the rocks.

There's really no way around them without inspecting and weighing every single chunk of charcoal in the bag.  10-20x longer to fill a bag and I can't even imagine what it would cost.  Much cheaper to overfill the bags by .4-.6# to keep the state's weights & measures happy, and cover the occasional rock, metal banding, etc. that may get into the bag.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    RO home delivery 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options

for those wondering where the REAL Stike is

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it