Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What in the heck is this from this Brisket

Options
i picked up a 11 pounder packer tonight. Got home and was trimming it up. Started poking around and felt something at the top of the point that felt like.....well...a nut! (Ball) I started cutting it out and all of a sudden this yellow junk started oozing out of it. What is this?!! 

I have attched  he'd a picture of it and a picture of where it came from. 
Brandon, MS

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wish I could unsee that.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Me too! I thought this cow had a tumor. It's disgusting! 
    Brandon, MS
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Take it back!  It was likely a tumor.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I'm cooking it now....I hope someone knows and tells me it's ok to eat. 
    Brandon, MS
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Crap.....it's on the egg. Should I pull it off? 
    Brandon, MS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You're brave, no way I could eat after that.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Or an abscess..
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Stand by...I just texted SGH, Nola and Cen-Tex.

Personally...I would have stopped there.  No way I could stomach eating that.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Standing by....
    Brandon, MS
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it or serve it knowing what came out of it... that's just me though.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Take it back for sure. Trimming a brisket should never involve surgical tumor or abscess removal. 
    https://youtu.be/OaTO8_KNcuo
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm cooking it now....I hope someone knows and tells me it's ok to eat. 
    You're joking right :fearful: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What you are looking at is a abcess. This is the result of a unhealty cow suffering from long term heart conditions. Do not eat it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    I thought it was a goob of fat. Cut it out and set aside. Finish putting it on the grill and came back to explore it. Then decided I better ask the good folks. But after further examination that bad boy is going back. But still interesting to see what SGH, Nola and Cen-Tex had to say 
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    Options
    The yellow ooze is the tell tale sign of this condition. Had it been white instead of yellow, there were a handful of other things that it could have been. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    SGH said:
    What you are looking at is a abcess. This is the result of a unhealty cow suffering from long term heart conditions. Do not eat it my friend.
    It's bagged and going back
    Brandon, MS
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Where did you buy it?
  • SGH
    Options
    Good call my friend. I'm absolutley certain in what I said above. Seen it many times back when I still did slaughter work. Be sure to take some of the yellow ooze with you. There is no denying that it's a abcess caused by congestive heart failure. No question of it.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I thought it was a goob of fat. Cut it out and set aside. Finish putting it on the grill and came back to explore it. Then decided I better ask the good folks. But after further examination that bad boy is going back. But still interesting to see what SGH, Nola and Cen-Tex had to say 
    Gee. I'm not the above named source but here ya go anywho. 
    http://familycow.proboards.com/thread/68617/strange-football-sized-lump-brisket
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    That is just plain nasty. Mad cow anybody?
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Gee. I'm not the above named source bit here ya go anywho. 
    http://familycow.proboards.com/thread/68617/strange-football-sized-lump-brisket
    I originally linked that but that is actually a live cow.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    cazzy said:
    SGH said:
    Where did you buy it?
    Walmart....but believe it or not the last 5-10 brisket I have done came from there and was pretty darn good! 
    Brandon, MS
  • loveTheEgg
    edited May 2015
    Options

SGH said:
    Good call my friend. I'm absolutley certain in what I said above. Seen it many times back when I still did slaughter work. Be sure to take some of the yellow ooze with you. There is no denying that it's a abcess caused by congestive heart failure. No question of it.
    Thank you for the info. Def going back Tmr
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother, got to go to bed. Got to be up at 4:00am to head to the Port of MOBIL. However I did want to say stick to your guns. Take it back and make them exchange it or refund your money. It actually will not hurt you to eat it. But it's the thought. I will eat just about anything and I would not eat it. 

Status- Standing by.

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Thanks to all for responding and helping! 
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    Options
    Thanks to all for responding and helping! 
    As always, my pleasure brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Whoa!! That's nasty. I got meat from Walmart a few times and was never totally happy with it, then found my butcher and never looked back. I've never been so happy with my decision as I am right now. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy it was merely a reference because not all abscesses are heart failure.  This is not uncommon. Saw it growing up and similar in cattle. Usually was just drained and they would be just fine. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Well that popped a cherry...friggin nasty.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks yummy.  If i were starving, I would totally eat that.  I would recommend the minimum safe FDA temps for a change.