Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I want to try a replicate Argentinean Asado on the BGE

Way back in the day, I was an exchange student and lived in Argentina for 1 year.  Asado was a way of life down there and I want to try replicating it on the big green egg.  Just wondering if anyone has tried this yet?  I am thinking that this would be raised direct with the lid up.  Won't be able to use thermometer that way, but I can still control the temp with the bottom vent.  Will probably used pecan chunk because that is what I have right now.
Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm waiting...@foghorn or @caliking might kick in.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Thanks for the shoutout @henapple, but sorry - I got nothin. I've never done this. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    henapple said:
    I'm waiting...@foghorn or @caliking might kick in.

I have much to say on this subject, which I promise to post later. I've been in the bourbon and not had much sleep the past few nights , so I'm turning in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    One of the most inspiring cookbooks I have is also hard to translate to the Egg, Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way.  I can't really imagine what his food is like, it's cooked so differently, but it sounds wonderful and the pictures are gorgeous.  It all just seems so elemental, so "pure," somehow.  Outdoors, open wood fire, maybe just a grate or a cast iron plate, maybe just meat on a stick angled over the fire.

All of that said, it seems to me that the best way to cook with whatever method of cooking you're using is the "best practices" of cooking for that method.  In other words, if you're using an offset smoker, you'd use "best practices" using an offset smoker.  If you're using a plancha/chapa over an open fire, you'd use "best practices" using a plancha/chapa over an open fire.  And if you're using a Big Green Egg, I'd think you'd use "best practices" with the Big Green Egg, and that includes closing the dome.  I can't see why opening the dome would get you better results than cooking the way it's designed -- it's a different type of "fire" than an open wood fire: lump charcoal and a few wood chunks in a ceramic bowl versus an open fire of wood and wood embers.  And pretty nearly 100% of people who use the  BGE type of "fire" seem to find that the "best practice" is to keep the dome closed.

Why not just cook as many different types of meat as you can fit into the Egg, cook them to juicy perfection, and call it "Asado?"

My 2¢, maybe worth less.

Theo
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited May 2015

@tfhanson : I've been thinking along similar lines for about over a year, but not necessarily on the egg. My stacked brick WFO has outlived its usefulness, so I have been meaning to restack the bricks to cook Brazilian style churrasco. Marcos Bassi has some great videos on youtube - I highly recommend watching them.

Coincidentally I had come across this (pricey) accessory yesterday, after seeing a thread on the bbq brethren site:

http://www.carsonrodizio.com/

I did a couple of Brazilian style cooks on the egg, and they turned out great. The picanha was excellent. Need to do that again some time.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151142/another-brazilian-cook/p1

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151179/round-2-picanha

Cen-Tex also unleashed the fury:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151260/centex-gets-mad-at-the-picanha/p1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219

Theophan  Funny you brought up Seven Fires.  I bought that book off Amazon the day I posted this.  Got it yesterday and I am thrilled with the cookbook.  I can't wait to really go through it.   The pictures remind me greatly of the year I spent in Argentina.  I think a good number of his techniques will transfer over to the BGE.  I am also now seriously thinking of building a Parrilla set up in my backyard (why not, I got the room).    My mini asado last Thursday was turned out pretty awesome.  Short ribs, Sweet Italian sausage (the equivalent of Argentinean Chorizo) and some Chuck roast cut up into about 4 inch pieces.

@caliking  Thanks for all the links, a lot to go through.  Will have to take a look at all of them.  

Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Does anyone know where to get Argentine style v-shaped grill grates for Large or Medium BGE?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Does anyone know where to get Argentine style v-shaped grill grates for Large or Medium BGE?
    Never seen them off the shelf for a kamado but perhaps this fellow can make one for you - http://www.jdfabrications.com/product/grilling-surface-grates/argentine-bbq-pit-grill-grate
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk