Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's talk Georgia BBQ

DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
For the most part, I've been pretty disappointed in GA BBQ joints. I've had very little Q here that had any WOW factor. There's a lot of GA eggers on here. Where are your top Q joints in the State?  I feel like my brisket is better than anyplace I've had with the exception of Heirloom Market in Atlanta. I can't say that I've had any true standout pulled pork or ribs since we used to venture down to Auburn Ave. back in college. Been to a lot of places that folks love like Country's in Columbus and found them to be awful. I want to find out where the best stuff is so I know where I stack up. 

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Woooo!"

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2015
    Fox Bros. is really good.....I especially like their wings.
    Hickory Pig in Gainesville is awesome (and a hole in the wall) Epitome of true southern BBQ.
    Fat Matt's has a kick-ass rib sandwich.  
    Hottie Hawgs is supposed to be really good and the wait staff is as smokin as the pit (so I'm told).
    Heirloom is great - like you said.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Jims Smokin Que in Blairsville ,Ga is outstanding! Truly, some of the juiciest and best smoked brisket I've ever had. Their ribs and smoked turkey is also excellent. Always a line to get in. Jim and Donna are also super folks who work hard at this!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I live in NE Ga and haven't found any great BBQ. There was a little place between Royston and Carnesville that had killer baby backs but they recently closed. Most places around me smoke hind quarters and use for pulled pork. It is usually dry with not much bark and you have to cover with sauce. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Bub-ba-Q originally in Jasper also has a location in Woodstock and I think it is pretty good.   It looks like they let their domain expire so the web site is down...but it is still there. 

I have heard Fox Bros is really good, but I haven't been.  I just happened to pick up some rub and sauce at Kroger while shopping at lunch. 

I really like Fresh Air BBQ down in Jackson.  To be honest though it gets very mixed reviews.  They only have pork- pulled or chopped.  No chicken, beef.  I really like their sauce.  It is a simple vinegar ketchup but it works magic on pulled pork.  My MIL is from Jackson and she brings me a gallon of the sauce when I run out.   

Here is PBS show called Get Delicious that shows Fresh Air and some other joints around Atlanta. 
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2365029753/

I also like Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell but to be honest I haven't been there since pre-egg days so I'm not sure how I would judge it now.  If I recall their sides and "cabin bread" were really good so it might be worth checking out. 

One place I think is overrated is Williamson Bros.  Their sauce is pretty good but their Q is just not great.  I haven't tried the one in Marietta in years so I am judging by the Canton location.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    Pig-n-Chick is consistently good and I love their Carolina Red sauce.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You need to make a little extended drive over into South Carolina for some mustard based. I use to live over in Georgia....and quite frankly, after the Atl metro traffic, it (lack of good Q) is the main reason i moved.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Old Clinton BBQ in Gray GA is very good!
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I live in the sticks. Well I live in town, but it is a little town, and we only have one BBQ joint here. They only serve chopped pork and stew. It isn't brunswick stew it is hash, but they call it stew. 

No chicken, no ribs, no brisket. You can buy a plate, and it will come with pork, stew, potato salad, and two pieces of bread or you can buy a bbq sandwich. 

It is very good to me and most of the locals here agree. I always buy a few pounds and take it home. 

It would be nice living in a bigger city and having a variety of places to try like you Atlanta area guys. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    No particular order

In Atlanta
    Fox brothers
    Grand Champion
    Community Q
    Heirloom Market
    Sam's #1
    Daddy Zs

In the State
    Southern Soul BBQ St. Simon's Island
    Wiley's Championship BBQ Savannah
    Jim's Smokin Q Blairsville
    Joe's BBQ Blue Ridge

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• In the Athens area, Butt Hut is really good, as is Pulaski Heights. I like the pulled pork at each place about the same. The sides at Pulaski Heights are outstanding. Butt Hut is more of a traditional barbecue joint, Pulaski Heights is a more upscale barbecue place if that isn't too oxymoronic for you...

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Never been, but hear Character's in Adairesville is the stuff. 
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406

;)

You must have hit Countrys in Columbus on a bad day. Thiers is usually pretty good. Sconyers in Augusta was good years ago when I lived there. Now theres this little place in Snellville Ga, 8th hous on the right that has the best around. Small little mom and pop place. Can seat 12 to 16, and the beer is alwayd ice cold.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Smokinpig said:
    No particular order

In Atlanta
    Fox brothers
    Grand Champion
    Community Q
    Heirloom Market
    Sam's #1
    Daddy Zs

In the State
    Southern Soul BBQ St. Simon's Island
    Wiley's Championship BBQ Savannah
    Jim's Smokin Q Blairsville
    Joe's BBQ Blue Ridge

I forgot about Joe's.  I have been there once and had the BBQ stuffed potato with pork and it was amazing.  I love taters off the egg, but this was honestly better than one I have ever made.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Joes in Blue Ridge is very good. Their ribs are outstanding and he serves a good white sauce.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Give them a bit of time to rebuild, but Smokin' Swine in Hampton, GA down by Atlanta Motor Speedway is pretty good.  They were the unfortunate neighbor to a sushi place that burned to the ground, and also destroyed their kitchen.  The guy that runs it is a competition circuit guy, but they are in the process of rebuilding.

Killer brisket chili cheese fries and I've enjoyed their pulled pork.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the info. I'll compile a must see list from your recommendations and see how they stack up. Been to some places you guys have mentioned but there's some new joints to check out. It's a shame that you can count the number of good metro Atlanta BBQ joints on one hand and still have fingers left. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited April 2015
    gamason said:

;)

You must have hit Countrys in Columbus on a bad day. Thiers is usually pretty good. Sconyers in Augusta was good years ago when I lived there. Now theres this little place in Snellville Ga, 8th hous on the right that has the best around. Small little mom and pop place. Can seat 12 to 16, and the beer is alwayd ice cold.

I've been to Country's  several times. Columbus folks don't know good BBQ. Never had a decent meal there. Their brisket was easily the worst I've ever had. Tasted like an old shoe. 
  • No one has mentioned Mooney's Texas BBQ in Flowery Branch. OMG!! Their brisket is sliced to order and leaves your speechless...
  • GATraveller
    No one has mentioned Mooney's Texas BBQ in Flowery Branch. OMG!! Their brisket is sliced to order and leaves your speechless...
    Never even heard of it.......guess I'll have to add it to the list.

Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson, GA was always the one to visit when I was growing up and we used to stop in every time we headed towards the coast.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    edited April 2015
    = DoubleEgger said:
    gamason said:

;)

I've been to Country's  several times. Columbus folks don't know good BBQ. Never had a decent meal there. Their brisket was easily the worst I've ever had. Tasted like an old shoe. 

I will admit it has been about 20 years since I last ate there. Main problem is you ordered brisket,and any respectable southerner knows if it aint pork it aint BBQ. LOL

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Vandys in Statesboro & Southern Soul best in South Ga
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    I've lived in four different cities in Georgia and Southen Soul on St. Simons gets my vote for hands down the best bbq in Georgia. I was actually there last week and managed to drop $25 dollars on just my dinner...without getting the fried Oreos!

I wasn't a fan of many of the places in Athens when I was at UGA. Athens has some of the best restaurants in the state..but nothing great on the bbq side. 

I I live in Augusta now and was just saying the other day the best bbq in this city is out of my kitchen...or deck. It's a shame I can't find a go-to bbq joint here. I grew up eating chopped pork, baked beans, and Brunswick stew once a week from Billy Bobs over in west Georgia. To this day it's still one of my favorite places to go back to when I go visit family. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    chrisc133 said:
    I've lived in four different cities in Georgia and Southen Soul on St. Simons gets my vote for hands down the best bbq in Georgia. I was actually there last week and managed to drop $25 dollars on just my dinner...without getting the fried Oreos!

I wasn't a fan of many of the places in Athens when I was at UGA. Athens has some of the best restaurants in the state..but nothing great on the bbq side. 

I I live in Augusta now and was just saying the other day the best bbq in this city is out of my kitchen...or deck. It's a shame I can't find a go-to bbq joint here. I grew up eating chopped pork, baked beans, and Brunswick stew once a week from Billy Bobs over in west Georgia. To this day it's still one of my favorite places to go back to when I go visit family. 
    I take it you don't like Sconyers? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    chrisc133 said:

I take it you don't like Sconyers? 
    Not the biggest fan, no. 

I usually get my bbq fix across the river in SC. There are a couple good spots that have decent pork--and about 20 different sides to choose from. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • MeanBone
    MeanBone Posts: 15
    Smokin' Pig - Valdosta
  • DoubleEgger
    chrisc133 said:

I'd pay $25 for good Q anytime. We all know what effort and skill it takes...
  • +1 on Moonies  Texas BBQ in flowery branch. The brisket is awesome. Avoid the ribs and sausage, not good.  Also get the mac and cheese, it has some jalapeños, and is great.
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    +1 on Moonies  Texas BBQ in flowery branch. The brisket is awesome. Avoid the ribs and sausage, not good.  Also get the mac and cheese, it has some jalapeños, and is great.
    I loved the sausage! It's no Kruez Market, but it's top notch!
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Oinkers in Clayton used to be good. Heard it changed hands and went downhill but I have not been there in about 5 years. A lot of new places have opened in town in the last few years like pig and pearl, smokering, and smokebelly. Have not visited any of them. It is not true BBQ but the Memphis taco at Taqueria del Sol is awesome. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't know anything about the restaurants there.  I hate the Falcons so much I'll drive through Tennessee to get to Charleston from Alabama.  ;)