Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium kick ash basket dont fit

My medium kick ash basket don't fit. The handles sit above the fire ring keeping it from dropping down inside :( :o:o
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Picture?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    OK got me on this 
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Could he have sent me a basket for a large instead of my medium egg
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    You shouldn't have to, but can you flex it some so it slides in?

Also when did you get your medium?  I thought they changed the fire ring slightly in the not to recent past.  I thought they made it a little bigger.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just another thought- but do you have the fire grate in?  Maybe if you remove the stock fire grate it will help.  Pic from their site is below.  

Comparing the pictures your pic it definitely seems way to big.  In the pic below the handles barely go past the fire box. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have zero issues. Mine fits like a glove! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    I think @Ozzie_Isaac might be onto something concerning the age of your medium.  It is hard to say in the pic but it looks like your fire ring is really small compared to @Big_Green_Craig's pic.  I can see a gap between the ring and the inside of the egg.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Mine has the smaller fire ring too. I will be talking to my dealer about the crack in it though so hopefully my new one will be the larger size.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • laserdoc85
    Egg is 15 years old. Just got a email back from chad and he is suggesting to bend the handles in with a vise. Going to give that a shot
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Egg is 15 years old. Just got a email back from chad and he is suggesting to bend the handles in with a vise. Going to give that a shot
    Wow! Super fast response! It's just steel, bending it makes sense. 
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Just got my medium today and no issues. 

Hard to tell, but do you have the fire ring in?
  • laserdoc85
    edited April 2015
    Yes the fire ring is in
    yes the ring does not touch the inside of the egg. About a quarter inch to  my small pinky finger all the way around
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2015
    Yup, you have an older fire ring.  I cannot fit my pinky between my fire ring and base.

I am not totally clear on dates of changes, but fire rings and grids have changed.  Last grid change was around 2012.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    They did change the size of the medium fire ring recently. CGS had to make me a new wok ring because the original was too small in diameter. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I'm interested in a KAB.  If you can't make it fit PM me.
  • laserdoc85
    OK fixed the issue seeing I'm local to the mother ship. Inside of my fire ring at the top is 12 1/4. New ones are 13.5  Just got off the phone with them and I'm going down tomorrow and they said they would give me a newer ring. Ta Da !!!!! Problem solved no fuss no muss
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Awesome!  Love BGE service.
  • SmokeyPitt
    OK fixed the issue seeing I'm local to the mother ship. Inside of my fire ring at the top is 12 1/4. New ones are 13.5  Just got off the phone with them and I'm going down tomorrow and they said they would give me a newer ring. Ta Da !!!!! Problem solved no fuss no muss
    That is great.  Just wondering is the firebox also smaller?  Maybe they would throw in one of those as well. 

• laserdoc85
    Yeah
    I just tried bending the handles in my vise. Basket know fits fine. Saved me the gas and time in driving down to the mother ship.  Problem solved tonight. =)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Just got an email from Chad @ KAB concerning this issue. Wow, talk about customer service!!! This guy is on it. 
  • laserdoc85
    It was easier to just bend the handles instead of driving down to the mother ship anyway
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I met Chad a year ago at an eggfest. I talked to him for some time about design and manufacturing. I've been in manufacturing for 20 plus years and Chad is the 1% who cares more about his customers than just making a profit.
    Chad, hats off for your care and concerns for getting a great product to your customers.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Chad:  two words:  mini max.    Please. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Jeremiah said:
    I think that is 3 words.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Jeremiah said:
    I think that is 3 words.
    2,100 posts. Never, not once, claimed to be smart. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:
    I think that is 3 words.
    2,100 posts. Never, not once, claimed to be smart. 
    Don't worry.  I had to get my wife to double check my count.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Jeremiah said:
    +1

I am waiting for the MM before ordering one for the large.

edited May 2015
    Just another thought- but do you have the fire grate in?  Maybe if you remove the stock fire grate it will help.  Pic from their site is below.  

Comparing the pictures your pic it definitely seems way to big.  In the pic below the handles barely go past the fire box. 

I bought one for the large. I couldn't find the pic you posted on their site. The little info page sent with my large says to place on top of the fire grate. Hey Chad which way is the correct way?
  • laserdoc85
    Chad,
     I bent mine in to 11 1/8. Works ok know. I may tweek them in to 11. Thanks for the PDF file you sent me yesterday.
     Irv said:
    Hey guys this is Chad with the Kick Ash Basket. Just wanted to chime in and apologize for the handle issue with the Medium Eggs.  We designed and checked it out with newer models and didn't see any problems like Craig illustrated above.  Unfortunately we stumbled on the older and smaller diameter fire boxes just this week as we shipped our first big batch.  Fortunately it is just a tweak of the handles and you're in business.  Funny thing is that we bent them out farther so that they nest together better for shipping to our Kick Ash Retailers......and we got bit.  I will be updating the design and fixing each basket myself before shipping from here on out.  
    I bent some handles in to 11.25" across the handle dimension. Can you guys that had the issue verify that is a good dimension?  Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Have a Kick Ash Weekend!  Chad

Jefferson .GA.