Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

At what temp do you pull your steak?

Options
I like mine rare. My kids like theirs rare, but my wife doesn't. Many years ago she wouldn't eat a steak unless it was like shoe leather. I have finally gotten her to what I would describe as a medium rare. She likes them a lot better than she used to, and I explained that when you cook it to death you cook all of the flavor out of it. 

I pull mine at around 120 or so. What do you guys pull yours at? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Warm. 115-120. 

The wife was was in your wife's camp, but she's an adventurous eater so conversion was easy. I have one sone who will eat rare-med rare and one who freaks out if it bleeds on his plate. My in laws are firmly in the shoe leather camp, but I refuse to ruin the steak and serve them just north of med. They are coming around because they like my steaks. :)
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Depends.  The standard 3/4 - 1" steak cooked direct,I pull at about 120-122.  If a 2" monster, 116, a good rest rest, and reverse sear via a small grate resting on the coals.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Both of you guys sound like you are doing it about like me. I just wasn't sure what most of you were doing. 

Jason I also serve my in laws steak a lot. I cook most of them my normal way and a few a cook to a little higher temp. 

I noticed they don't complain and ask for them often! 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I show mine the grill.  Then eat it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone my dad has embarrassed the family on more than one occasion with that line at a steakhouse. 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Our steaks are usually hand-cut ribeyes at 1-3/4" thick. I put them on when temp is stable at 500 degrees. Two quick flips to get nice grill marks on the original side down and pull them at 115 degrees. They rest for 10 minutes before we eat. Perfect for us every time. 

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Out of the cryovac.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Husker, if you're talking to me... yes. We buy the whole ribeye in cryovac and trim and slice ourselves. We then quickly chill in the freezer on cookie sheets for about an hour and then vacuum seal them individually for freezing.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    +1 to @Sea2Ski
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Around 125. I like a quick sear first in cast iron then on a warm egg around 350ish till 125.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I don't thermo my steaks. Usually if we're eating steak, I'm drinking too... so it's more like Russian roulette whether they're rare or shoe leather. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Anymore, I use a reverse sear.  Cook indirect at 300 or so until the steak  reaches 115 degrees.  Pull and foil the steak. Open up the vents until the temp approaches 500.  Cook direct at two minutes on each side.  This will give you a perfect medium rare. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I don't thermo my steaks. Usually if we're eating steak, I'm drinking too... so it's more like Russian roulette whether they're rare or shoe leather. 
    I like that answer. Honesty that you can't argue with. 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Caveman super quick flipping 4-5 times and pull. I even got the wife to admit she doesnt like it more than mid rare any more.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have found my target is about 130.  Still medium rare, but no "cold spots".  I don't care for the texture if it is too rare in the center. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Never really do anything thicker than 1 1/2"- 1 3/4". Last time I had a bit thicker one so I decided I would cook it the same as I always do. Flipping every two minutes. It came out great!!! I would have to say this is better than roasting it to a certain temp, then searing. Of course I use my thermopen so I know when it's at 120* and ready to pull. 
  • BigGreenGator
    Options

I guess I'm either in the wrong camp or doing it wrong but I have never ~ never probed my steaks for int. temp or doneness...even back in the day when I was a gasser :( always did by time / temp / look... my favorite way now of course is the 600-700 deg. cook on the egg turning once at 5 mins. cook another 5 mins. then close draft door put cap on and let the steaks sit for another 4-5 mins ....serve and eat :)

Are they always perfect no because we of course by different cuts and thicknesses but most or majority of the time this method works to almost perfection  

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    So dumb question here, how many degrees does a steak go up after you pull it? 115 seems pretty rare, does it creep up 5 degrees or so? Have 4 bad ass ribeyes to cook this weekend and plan on indirect for a bit, pulling and then getting it as high as it goes for some final touches but we like medium rare-ish.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm a mid-rare guy so I pull between 118-120 then rest.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    So dumb question here, how many degrees does a steak go up after you pull it? 115 seems pretty rare, does it creep up 5 degrees or so? Have 4 bad ass ribeyes to cook this weekend and plan on indirect for a bit, pulling and then getting it as high as it goes for some final touches but we like medium rare-ish.
    I think the overshoot varies based on how hot you are cooking.  With a reverse sear it is kind of a pain to take the temp when the egg is hot.  There are a couple of different methods to handle this, but what works for me is:

-Indirect cook- 300 degrees or less. 
    -Pull the steaks when they are about 5 degrees less than my target finish. 
    -Let the steaks rest while the egg heats up- make sure the IT has stopped climbing (10 minutes or so). 
    -If possible- keep the dome open during the sear.  Sometimes the flames get out of control so you have to close the egg.  A CI skillet or griddle works great for the sear.  

You have to be careful with the reverse sear not to overshoot the temp during the sear.  If you have the egg at 600+ degrees and you cook with the dome closed they are basically in a 600 degree oven and the IT will climb fast.  The nice thing about using CI is you really don't have to run the egg that hot to get a good sear.  500 degrees is plenty as long as you give it time to heat up. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Depends on the steak.for ribeye, I prefer rare-medium rare so I reverse sear to 115-120. The sear gets it to 125ish.

For a filet, 90.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Depends on the steak.for ribeye, I prefer rare-medium rare so I reverse sear to 115-120. The sear gets it to 125ish.

For a filet, 90.
    Damn dawg!  Do you just set it outside on a hot day?

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    About 118 and a good rest. This assumes that it is a relatively thick steak....which is what i normally purchase. If large steak, wife and i split it. We both like our steak on the rare to med rare side of things. While resting.....it provides a good opportunity for roasting the fresh asparagus (w/ a little olo and Montreal) for to accompany our favorite dinner.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    strip 122, but i like ribeye up around 127ish.  the big difference though is resting on a rack verse a plate, the plate sucks all the juices out. prefer trex over reverse sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Getting an egg, a thermopen, and learning on this forum how to do the TRex method on NY strips and pulling at 126° has pretty much changed my life!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've drifted away from using the egg for reverse sear.  it's a hassle to get the egg to temp, set up plate setter, cook for 30 minutes or so, then take the PS out etc.  also i'm not crazy about the flavor the steak picks up before the sear. 

last steak i cooked was a filet out of the freezer.  redneck hottub in 110-115 degree water while the egg was started and came to temp, then sear the sucker.  I pull at 125 for me, 130 for wife.  (Though any steak less than an inch it's easier for me to check by pushing and checking how squishy/firm it is)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    strip 122, but i like ribeye up around 127ish.  the big difference though is resting on a rack verse a plate, the plate sucks all the juices out. prefer trex over reverse sear
    What he says, except I like reverse sear...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!