Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I guess I feel more like a man today... or more Mexican according to some! :P

Options
13»

Comments

• jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    You bought some great stuff to take care of your yard. I've been in the commercial grounds management for over 15 years. My push mowers are Hondas and all my two cycle stuff are all stihl(mine are commercial not homeowners) You shouldn't have any problems with what you bought, my stuff last a long time and along with what everyone said either use non ethanol stuff or that stuff @SGH recommended that's pre mixed. Not sure about how it works with the homeowners models but the oil you bought to mix with gas is the best, I've seen a big difference since I switched to that from the orange bottle stihl mix. I would get the edger if I were you, it's makes life easier plus it's a new toy! Let me know if you have questions. 
    Durham, NC
  • SchwarzenEGGer
    Options
    Here are my two cents:
    A straight shaft trimmer is better just because it has a straight drive shaft from the engine to the actual trimming head. The curved shaft has a flexible drive shaft and has a lot of effeciency loss through the friction in the bend which decreases the engines power. So for you will have less HP on the trimming head. This is the reason why you see lawn mowing businesses using straight shafts for the most part. 
    As for "Homeowners" or "Commercial" models it is all the same. I'm actually from Germany and STIHL only builds quality products. Some stronger, some weaker, but all built to last a lifetime. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Here are my two cents:
    A straight shaft trimmer is better just because it has a straight drive shaft from the engine to the actual trimming head. The curved shaft has a flexible drive shaft and has a lot of effeciency loss through the friction in the bend which decreases the engines power. So for you will have less HP on the trimming head. This is the reason why you see lawn mowing businesses using straight shafts for the most part. 
    As for "Homeowners" or "Commercial" models it is all the same. I'm actually from Germany and STIHL only builds quality products. Some stronger, some weaker, but all built to last a lifetime. 
    Not lawn tools, but I'm a big Festool nut.  I have a small fortune in their tools. They're precise.
    FESTOOL is one of THE best cordless and corded tools on the planet! My buddy is a professional cabinet maker and is using them for years. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @sodigthisbigcrux So I'm trolling huh?  :lol: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now we're talkin. Let me know when you get good at it, and I'll fire my lawn guy so you can do my yard too :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @cazzy....wait till someone stops while you're mowing the yard and ask for a business card.... :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    henapple said:
    @cazzy....wait till someone stops while you're mowing the yard and ask for a business card.... :o
    Lmfao!  I look forward to it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @cazzy maybe Something like Cazzy BBQ and Landscape company or Eggpert Lawn and Q just thought for your new business cards.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Damn straight.  'bout time someone called you on it!  :lol: 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I HATE ethanol in gasoline!  Glad there is a station nearby that sells ethanol-free gas!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    This is what I use in all my STIHL 2 stroke equipment..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    This is a web photo of the JD LX277 I have.  I have had it 14 years without a hiccup.  I just jinxed myself, right?

Flint, Michigan
  • Offpiste
    Offpiste Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm running a Honda from 1996 still running strong.  Started from winter in one pull last weekend. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    This is a web photo of the JD LX277 I have.  I have had it 14 years without a hiccup.  I just jinxed myself, right?

Yup
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    This has turned into the show what you got mowing section real quick... 

I am pretty sure there was a thread for that also.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    cazzy said:
    no idea what the hell you're talking about...
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    cazzy said:
    no idea what the hell you're talking about...
    You flagged the initial post as "Troll"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    wow..so apparently I "did." I was good and lubed up last night, but don't remember even getting miffed about it, let alone acting out..  apologies for any misunderstanding
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I am pretty sure most of my disagrees, flags, etc that I have came from random hits.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    tarheelmatt said:
    I am pretty sure most of my disagrees, flags, etc that I have came from random hits.  
    keep telling yourself that Matt - I think you're very controversial and end up pissing lots of people off.  practically a thug.  =)
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@cazzy I found one of these years ago at a garage sale for $15.00 and  will never go back to a string trimmer for edging. Easy on my back and makes a great cut. John Deere #7.

JD 7.jpg 139.6K
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I've hit flag or disagree on someone's post simply from dragging my cell phone screen to scroll.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i think i was punished too much as a kid =) two weeks of yard work every spring and again every fall. i feel like a convict even picking up a weedwhacker. it really really bothers me, post traumatic mowing syndrome =) im a fan of amsoil mixed 100 to 1 no matter what it says on the machine. its all i use on my ice augers, dont know if my weedwacker still works =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    should also mention i only do yardwork in the pouring rain, its a small neighborhood and people dont want to hear all the swearing coming from my yard on a nice day, i dont think theres much i HATE more
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    should also mention i only do yardwork in the pouring rain, its a small neighborhood and people dont want to hear all the swearing coming from my yard on a nice day, i dont think theres much i HATE more
    this is the perfect thread for you then.  have you checked out the gardening one too?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    this is the perfect thread for you then.  have you checked out the gardening one too?
    i stuff 60 plants in (3) 42 inch containers every spring in the rain =) but yard work :o i actually found a 3 foot tomato plant growing one year dead center in what used to be a lawn, the dog planted it =) ive planted 15 fruit trees in my tenth of an acre estate, if i can eat it, ill grow it, grass stands no chance, i have even mixed moss in with buttermilk and poured it on the grass to get rid of it, my neighbor even bought me a mower years ago, dad uses it up at camp =) it even bothers me when others do it
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @fishlessman, I want to be your neighbor. That sounds like heaven.