Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE at Sam's Club

Options

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Best part of picture is the green sticker that says not to stack them yet they are stacked 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Take responsibility and be an educated consumer.  It's perfectly clear.  You buy from an unauthorized source, you are on your own.  Damn.  Pretty simple and perfectly clear. It's no different from buying my neighbors brand new Egg and then expecting BGE to support me.  Ain't going to happen. You do something stupid then you lose out.  Yea, you might save a few $$ in the short term but you pay for in the long term.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    Options
    beteez said:
    BGE may support the distributors in doing this, units sold without the worry of future warranty claims. Pads the bottom line.
    Don't think so.   They want to support dealers who know their product and have one on one with customers and most likely charge full retail.  If these dealers can't make money, then BGE loses out.  The clubs take away from the brand...BGE becomes a KJ or a cheap alternative.  It's part marketing.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    I saw that this morning before my post. When you buy a tv, washing machine or a big ticket item, do you go to the manufacturers website to see their warranty? When a customer goes to Sam's Club, you never know what you will find. I have never seen a BGE there, but have seen their competition.  

When people shop at a big box store, they take it for granted that their products are fully warranted. If I bought a big screen tv there, I expect the same warranty there as anywhere else because it is a legit and reputable business. Again, the manufacturer should be responsible to sell to distributors with integrity. 

I wish the company would explain why it makes a difference where you buy it.
    I politely disagree.  I shop at Costco and disregard the manufacturer warranty.  Costcos is far superior.  I have a problem I bring it back and they give me my money back or a replacement.  That is why I buy from Costco.

However, it would never dawn on me a manufacturer would not warranty a product because I bought it at Sams or Costco.  That would make me angry at the company not the store.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    beteez said:
    BGE may support the distributors in doing this, units sold without the worry of future warranty claims. Pads the bottom line.
    I think that is plausible.  It's not like there are 1 or 2 eggs showing up at the big box stores...sometimes it is thousands in a year. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    I saw that this morning before my post. When you buy a tv, washing machine or a big ticket item, do you go to the manufacturers website to see their warranty? When a customer goes to Sam's Club, you never know what you will find. I have never seen a BGE there, but have seen their competition.  

When people shop at a big box store, they take it for granted that their products are fully warranted. If I bought a big screen tv there, I expect the same warranty there as anywhere else because it is a legit and reputable business. Again, the manufacturer should be responsible to sell to distributors with integrity. 

I politely disagree.  I shop at Costco and disregard the manufacturer warranty.  Costcos is far superior.  I have a problem I bring it back and they give me my money back or a replacement.  That is why I buy from Costco.

However, it would never dawn on me a manufacturer would not warranty a product because I bought it at Sams or Costco.  That would make me angry at the company not the store.
    Exactly...when I purchase a TV or other electronics I never thought to check with Sony or Samsung to make sure that Costco was authorized to sell them and my warranty would be honored. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    LadyGT said:

Normally with Costco, on electronics, it's manufacturer's one year warranty PLUS their one year.  And you get their "concierge" tech support for the two years. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
     4Runner said:
    Take responsibility and be an educated consumer.  It's perfectly clear.  You buy from an unauthorized source, you are on your own.  Damn.  Pretty simple and perfectly clear. It's no different from buying my neighbors brand new Egg and then expecting BGE to support me.  Ain't going to happen. You do something stupid then you lose out.  Yea, you might save a few $$ in the short term but you pay for in the long term.  

So what if they slid a line in there saying you could only burn their branded charcoal???  Otherwise it would spark too much and void the warranty???

HAHAHAHHA.......Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity.  ;)

• 4Runner
    Options
    Guess they could....but that would be unreasonable.  Kind of like if they stated you can only cook a certain brand of steak.   ;)
  • 4Runner
    Options
    LadyGT said:

Probably because you aren't dealing with a life time warranty.   Again, this is very typical.  Just need to think of it in the extreme.  You buy product X from your neighbor or a garage sale or eBay.  Just because it is a brick a mortar store doesn't mean they are authorized.  This is partly why they provide their own warranty.   
  • LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    I shop at Sam's because that is our only choice where I currently live. I have had a membership at Costco in the past.  Both stores sell pretty much the same stuff. 

I was thinking about the warranty clause posted earlier. Maybe it should be printed on the box itself so the consumer is aware of it. This would be a deterrent. What is odd is if the warranty is no good, then why would a unauthorized store sell it? Wouldn't the store be aware of that when purchasing from a distributor?  Any attorneys on this forum? Lol
  • LadyGT
    Options
    I found online a copy of the 4 page warranty and it states that the warranty is void if purchased from unauthorized dealers and discount shopping clubs. 

Can you imagine how a customer would feel bringing home an egg, putting it together, using it and then learn the lifetime warranty is void? I would be super angry because I trusted the store. How do you return it to place of purchase without possibly destroying the egg in the process because of weight? Do you think the store will give a refund?
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    BGE does nothing? Unloading excess inventory thru a distributor I think
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • LadyGT
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    My local club has a couple of large eggs with nest and mates for $849.00.  I couldn't find an associate to ask about the warranty.  It's a great deal if there's a warranty.

I did not notice the price before but that is more than what I paid with a bundled package. I even got a bag of BGE lump.
  • LadyGT
    Options
    I think one of the reasons you have to buy with an authorized dealer is so you are encouraged to buy the accessories as well. Most dealers have a nice display of everything BGE sells and even have something cooking to draw you into purchasing.  Big box stores don't do either so that is lost revenue. Pretty good sales strategy.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    How does someone shopping at Sam's Club know what the warranty is? Is it printed on the outside of the box?  If they have been researching BGE's they might be aware of the lifetime warranty, but anywhere they learned about it would have included the authorized dealer provision.  If they ask the Sam's Club employee, the employee should be telling them of the Sam's Club warranty and not falsely claiming a manufacturer's lifetime warranty (Sam's Club has to well aware that they are not an authorized dealer and I doubt that they would make that claim).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    How does someone shopping at Sam's Club know what the warranty is? Is it printed on the outside of the box?  If they have been researching BGE's they might be aware of the lifetime warranty, but anywhere they learned about it would have included the authorized dealer provision.  If they ask the Sam's Club employee, the employee should be telling them of the Sam's Club warranty and not falsely claiming a manufacturer's lifetime warranty (Sam's Club has to well aware that they are not an authorized dealer and I doubt that they would make that claim).

I have shopped several Sam's locations due to this issue of Eggs showing up in their stores. Most of the staff just states "it should come with a warranty". If you get a manager involved they in most cases will admit that it actually DOES NOT come with a warranty. I had one manager call the Big Green Egg part of Sam's "Grey Goods" products which are products they acquire through unauthorized channels. He said they have other items that fall under the same category and the manufacture may or may not honor the warranty.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I don't really care what BGE put up in their website. As a customer, all I cared about is big businesses (in this case, BGE) screwing over the customers. In my book, if a company wants to establish great relationship with your customers, they will do anything they can to do that. Do they have to? No they don't but if they really care about the customers, they would do it. Especially if a business knows this is happening year after year and they are not doing anything about it, there's something fishy going on. Usually, it's related to the bottom line - profit.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bbqlearner
    Options
    You really think a Sam's Club employee who doesn't own an egg knows what the warranty covers? There are hundreds/thousands of merchandises in the store. You really think they would know every single item's warranties?

• bbqlearner
    Options

4Runner said:
    LadyGT said:

Probably because you aren't dealing with a life time warranty.   Again, this is very typical.  Just need to think of it in the extreme.  You buy product X from your neighbor or a garage sale or eBay.  Just because it is a brick a mortar store doesn't mean they are authorized.  This is partly why they provide their own warranty.   
    Typical or not typical doesn't go into the equation here. All we're saying is that if BGE really cares about their reputation and wants to build good business practices, they would honor the warranty. Please don't compare garage sale or ebay to Sam's Club. I think everyone is smart enough to understand the difference between garage sale/ebay to Sam's Club. Please compare stores to other stores such as Kroger or HEB or Lowe's or Home Depot. Are you saying the warranty is void also if they're selling it (unauthorized dealer)? 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They will honor the warranty if you buy it from Sam's or Costco.  Period.  Now lets move on to other threads.
    Options
    I am not sure how BGE is "screwing over the customers". Different companies provide different warranties for their products. Consumers need to understand what warranty comes with any product before purchase. I expect a company to honor the warranty. It is nice if a company will go beyond the warranty, but not expected. 

When I purchase a product that I am concerned about the warranty, I learn what the warranty is before purchase. I consider what the warranty is in relation to the cost and what warranty competing products come with. If the warranty is not adequate, I don't have to buy the product. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 4Runner
    Options

They will honor the warranty if you buy it from Sam's or Costco.  Period.  Now lets move on to other threads.
    I like this one......how do you know this when their site clearly states they will not?
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    4Runner said:

I like this one......how do you know this when their site clearly states they will not?
    I can only speak from my experience, but I've had a warranty claim and at no time was I asked for a reciept or serial number. They didn't even want the part back. I've dealt with dealers that are just "cool" like that. They'll warranty a part by just giving you what they have in the store. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    He's NOLA. He knows EVERYTHING. 

Little Rock, AR

• 4Runner
    Options
    They have never asked for my receipt either....I did register my Egg initially and then called them to replace my gasket after my first cook. That got me in the system and ever since, my dealer just sends in my pictures for the damaged parts along with my name address and I'm good.   Of course when I registered my Egg I put my authorized dealer's name in as well. That probably helped.  
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    BGE warranty is no different than lots of other companies. Buy from an authorized dealer and you have a warranty. If you do not, there is no warranty. (I hit this recently with an Optima battery. I did not blame Optima, I blamed the seller that misrepresented what they were selling.) So, even if they sold directly to Costco and Sam's Club an egg that did not include the warranty, that is fine. It is the same as selling a specialized egg kit that does not include the daisy wheel so Sam's Club/Costco can sell it for less.

What makes me upset is that Sam's Club and Costco misrepresent the product and do not make it clear to their customer that the product is missing the manufacturer's warranty. They know that the egg they are selling does not include the manufacturer's warranty. This should be made clear by the Sam's Club/Costco in the product description tag. Costco/Sam's Club should clearly label it as a Big Green Egg without manufacturer warranty.

Also, I do not rely on the Sam's/Costco warranties. They are only effective while you continue your annual membership. If you cancel, no warranty.

Cliffs: Shame on Sam's Club and Costco.

LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options
    The Sam's Club in Lexington, KY has them.  One of my customers sent me pics.  I questioned my distributor and got the same response as the last time they showed up in town.  Sam's sends people out with cash to buy eggs from dealers so they can use them in the store to drive more traffic and create an image of having quality, name brands in the store.  None of the excuses add up to me.  My distributor said that there should be a phone number printed on the box of the BGE Dealer where they were bought and I might go check that out.  If anyone sees an egg in Sam's, look for a phone number printed very small with two additional numbers added on and let your local dealer know.  

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Sam's and Home Depot are authorized retailers for the Vision units.  Same warranty as the Egg.  Made a little cheaper but appear to be very functional.  

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Personally I do not want Eggs at Costco or Sams Club.  That is a huge market and if Eggs went that route the customer service, timelyness, and excellent quality would suffer.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS