Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long do you let lump burn before putting on meat for long low & slow cook?

I always worry about loading up the BGE with new lump to prepare for a long 12-14 hour cook considering fresh lump needs to burn for a while to start burning clean without white smoke. Considering that I only light one area to start a low & slow cook, am I doing it wrong? It seems to me a full load of new lump would take quite a while to completely burn clean.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I let it go about an hour at target temp. Not for VOC, but because I'm going to bed after the meat is on for the next hour. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I think the answer depends on your brand of lump. If using BGE lump etc, it will take a lot longer to burn off the voc's than if you you are using Rockwood or Ozark Oak. 

I usually just wait until the temp has settled in and put it on. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Using the last of a quantity buy of Royal Oak. I'll be buying Rockwood next. I've never really checked to see if all the lump is burning before putting the meat on. Since the wood is also mixed in with the lump it hard to tell sometimes if I'm getting a clean wood smoke only.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Fwiw I use RW, but agin, I'm looking for stability so I can sleep. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    For lows and slows i start mine the night before. Freight it to the hilt and let her rip and then shut her down after the sweet smoke starts. Next morning im readyas soon  as she is stable. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    When my hand smells good after holding it over the top vent.....  That's my goto test. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    8 minutes with my electric starter to get the coals going (4-5 min or so for a low and slow) and then 10 minutes as "coal prep".  Then I put meat on.  Done it a million times over the years, you need no more time than that for good smelling clean tasting coals.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited April 2015
    I let mine go for at least an hour....but is more out of convenience for me.  Get my fire built and the Egg going and then on to cutting the grass, cleaning the house, etc.  then when I ready to throw on the meat, the Egg is waiting on me ready to go.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Good idea Jstroke, I never really thought of doing that. I've done the hand test too and found it to be effective.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Bubba. I appreciate the feedback.I Didn't  know if i was crazy or not but usually do it for low and slow and on Sunday as well. This way i get quick cooks all week no wait and almost never run out before Friday. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    250 for pork is easy, really low and slow,180 for salmon, I keep at temp for 30 minutes to make sure I have it stable.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    8 minutes with my electric starter to get the coals going (4-5 min or so for a low and slow) and then 10 minutes as "coal prep".  Then I put meat on.  Done it a million times over the years, you need no more time than that for good smelling clean tasting coals.
    I agree as far as the taste of the smoke, but I go somewhat longer sometimes just to make sure I am in control of the temp.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys