Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I guess I feel more like a man today... or more Mexican according to some! :P

Options

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel do you have a kit to enhance your stripes or just the deck set with a quarter inch pitch.  I find my new mower does ok but not as nice as I expected.  Looking to add a rubber flap to the back of the deck to darken them up.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    @ryantt it is just slightly pitched.  exmark though is just great at striping.  They make a striping bar that can be added behind the rear wheels. I may consider adding that as my yard is very level.
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @JohnnyTarheel do you have a kit to enhance your stripes or just the deck set with a quarter inch pitch.  I find my new mower does ok but not as nice as I expected.  Looking to add a rubber flap to the back of the deck to darken them up.  
    Best way is a roller instead of a flap.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Cannot go wrong with that combo @cazzy !  As other stated, run non-ethanol in all your small engines.  

For the trimmer, a straight shaft has it's advantages: 

Can get under trees well. 

Can edge well

Shaft is solid

Some advantages of curved: 

Easier to use

Lighter
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Okay...I probably should have got the straight shaft.  I have a corner lot and have a lot to edge because of the side walk.  Maybe I'm not doing right cause that **** took forever.  

However...I think I should get this:

http://m.stihlusa.com/products/edgers/homeowner-edger/fc56ce/

Thoughts?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice. I've got the same mower but the commercial version. Imo skip the stabil and ethanol treatments and use 0% ethanol gas. Your mower actually has a gas cut off that allows you to completely run the gas out of the bowl. But I don't even use it since I discovered winter rye. Give me a call. I kind of geek out on this stuff as you do with the A/V.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cazzy, great choice on the Stihl. If I ever get a real house, that's all I'll use. I love that stuff.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I have the same blower. Had it for 10 years. Starts on the 2nd pull every time. I love that dang toy. You'll enjoy it.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @cazzy the Stihl Kombi system allows you to have multiple heads that includes a trimmer and edger (there are many more for it).  

http://m.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/homeowner-kombisystem/km56rce/
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    ryantt said:
    The quarter inch pitch isn't for striping purposes.  Having that allows your engine to work less and essentially cutting on the front edge instead of the entire blade (and un-sharpened places).  The blade will cut better if it slants forward.  The sharpened edge cuts a forward arc through the grass.  The rear will even pick up the stragglers that maybe the front didn't catch.  

For your stripes, it is all about how your mower does with vacuum and laying the grass over.  Some mowers have lots of vacuum (Exmark/Toro have lots) where some do not.  The vacuum depends a lot on the depth of the decks too.  Deeper the deck the more vacuum.  

Also, grass type and height of cut depends on your stripes.  Fescue lays sweet stripes where as bermuda and zoyisa are more difficult.  And obviously, the higher the better as more surface is laying over and more surface light hits the blade of grass.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    @cazzy the Stihl Kombi system allows you to have multiple heads that includes a trimmer and edger (there are many more for it).  

Well ****...that would have been great info when we talked about this.  I don't think I can return what I bought today.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    The blower is great to get your eggs nuclear in no time, oh, nevermind, I forgot you bought a briquette burner and got rid of the eggs.
  • ryantt
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Thanks for the feed back, I didn't see a roller kit for mine, maybe a can modify the scagg rollers or get the big league lawn kit.  

• ryantt
    Options

cazzy said:
    Okay...I probably should have got the straight shaft.  I have a corner lot and have a lot to edge because of the side walk.  Maybe I'm not doing right cause that **** took forever.  

Thoughts?
    It's nice but you can lay a nice edge with curved shaft.  Flip it over so the string runs at 90 to the lawn and run a line.  Takes a little time and practice but once it's in a quick once over every cut keeps it looking good.  

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    cazzy said:

Well ****...that would have been great info when we talked about this.  I don't think I can return what I bought today.
    Well, you're probably right, but I didn't know you wanted an edger too!  If you went to a dealer, I bet they would do something for you.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

ryantt said:
    ryantt said:
    Thanks for the feed back, I didn't see a roller kit for mine, maybe a can modify the scagg rollers or get the big league lawn kit.  
    Scag's have their own roller stripe kit I am pretty sure.  Scags aren't known for their striping capabilites, but are solid units and cut very good too.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    My yard, my grass grows so strong I should resort to sheep, or maybe horses to keep things in check.  When we moved in I tried my trusty Lawnboy, which choked and died after  three feet.  I got a Troybilt 33" Widebody and it does the job well.  My other yard tools are all Stihl.  You chose well. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cazzy
    Options
    Legume said:
    The blower is great to get your eggs nuclear in no time, oh, nevermind, I forgot you bought a briquette burner and got rid of the eggs.
    Or lump and wood!  The eggs are still mine....I should use them a lot this summer.
  • cazzy
    Options

ryantt said:

cazzy said:

Thoughts?
    It's nice but you can lay a nice edge with curved shaft.  Flip it over so the string runs at 90 to the lawn and run a line.  Takes a little time and practice but once it's in a quick once over every cut keeps it looking good.  
    I did that but I think my big hiccup is I wasn't walking backwards.  Saw some YouTube videos and the technique was much different than what I was doing. Lol
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice toys Cazzy. Look around and if you can buy real gas, beyond me why “Mericans burn good corn alcohol instead of taking it to the next step..... Here we use Chevron high test, no ethanol. look here:
    http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX
    And in my neighbourhood, Mexicans don’t do yard work, that’s for the Taiwanese and Japanese..... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tarheelmatt
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:

ryantt said:

cazzy said:

Thoughts?
    I did that but I think my big hiccup is I wasn't walking backwards.  Saw some YouTube videos and the technique was much different than what I was doing. Lol
    It can be done with a curved.  Personally, I wouldn't spend the coin on a dedicated unit.  I have a walk behind model that I never use anymore.  I just use my trimmer.  

Check this out... All you need is some socks and shoes like that guy. 

http://edgit.com/

https://youtu.be/algK_LyI3-A
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Nice. I've got the same mower but the commercial version. Imo skip the stabil and ethanol treatments and use 0% ethanol gas. Your mower actually has a gas cut off that allows you to completely run the gas out of the bowl. But I don't even use it since I discovered winter rye. Give me a call. I kind of geek out on this stuff as you do with the A/V.
    No doubt...I will give you a ring and will try to find 0% gas.
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

ryantt said:

cazzy said:

Thoughts?
    It can be done with a curved.  Personally, I wouldn't spend the coin on a dedicated unit.  I have a walk behind model that I never use anymore.  I just use my trimmer.  

Check this out... All you need is some socks and shoes like that guy. 

http://edgit.com/

https://youtu.be/algK_LyI3-A
    I will pick that up and will wear my cool socks when I use it.  Thanks!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I love my Simplicity Walk-Behind.  It leaves beautiful stripes.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You guys need closer, retired FILS.  Haven't mowed my lawn in more than two years.  B)  of course, I help him with stuff too. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    You guys need closer, retired FILS.  Haven't mowed my lawn in more than two years.  B)  of course, I help him with stuff too. 
    My father is retired and I mow his lawn.  WTH!?  I'm getting the raw end of this deal.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Aaah ****! Take em all back for a refund and find your local Mexican to do it for you while you light your Kingsford. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Tons of experts here it sounds like, not me, but my understanding is most 2-cycle oil contains stabilizer.  Doesn't solve your ethanol issue or help with the mower, but check your oil.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Very nice. My leaf blower is the only thing I own that requires mixed so I decided to use the premixed bottles like SGH posted. I bought my leaf blower like 4-6 months ago and just finished the first bottle. Think it was like $6 and can sit for 2 years in the blower before it breaks down. For the mower make sure you run it out of gas before it ever gonna sit and it will last forever. My parents still have the same Honda I used to mow the grass with 20 years ago.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Forgot - Grass Gator twisted line is great, both 095 and 080 size - not sure what your gas trimmer uses. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!