Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Age

Options
13»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Good! Now please follow my common sense suggestion...put that bagged meat on a wire rack at the bottom of your refrig and don't pull it out again until you are ready to cut it! Over the next week to 10 days that bag will become a new skin on the meat and properly release moisture. And keep SWMBO at ease about "that big ol' chunk of meat rotting away" in HER refrig! Handling only raises the risk of breaking that bond or if handled roughly even tearing the bag. BTW I have a 18.5 pound ribeye now at day 28 headed for a 45 day run. The due date of April 22 isn't any thing special - I'm just aging this one to replinish my dry aged steak inventory in the freezer! Inventory takes management planning LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. 
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    Do the seals look ok?
  • RRP
    Options
    Do the seals look ok?
    Before the meat begins to bond with the bag I would run my hands over it to work those pockets of air toward the sealed end. The bag just isn't pressed against the meat well enough in my opinion. Then you can cut a small opening to release that captured air and reveal the small opening. OK?
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    I will do that. Would it better to cut off and completely and re seal?  What about the rib eye loin?
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    Overall disappointed.  C+ grade.  Cut into and everything looked right. Smelled a little funky with vinegar type smell to it. Grilled them up and they cooked a little faster than I thought so they were a little dry. Had a very strong "country ham" flavor to it. I don't think they were spoiled because we were able to finish it. Typically rotten meat you struggle for one bite. I gave it a shot. Didn't get the sensational flavor I was expecting. I have a strip loin aging since Easter. Any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated. 
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    I have dry aged a couple ribeye subprimals and have found that I don't like going over 28 days. 

I am now going to test out just wet aging. 

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • myc5
    myc5 Posts: 16
    Options
    I dry aged my first ribeye subprimal for 49 days in the UMAi bag. A friend did the same. We both found it to be too dry. Taste and tenderness was amazing, but too dry. Yes, it cooked much faster, no sizzle to it and not juicy at all, eventhough I didn't over cook it.

My theory is that 49 days was too long for the ribeye. There wasn't much of a fat layer on mine to protect it. One side had a small layer of fat, the other side hardly any.

Next time, no bag and will do 35 days and hopefully a piece with more fat on the outside.

• RRP
    Options
    smak said:
    I have dry aged a couple ribeye subprimals and have found that I don't like going over 28 days. 

I am now going to test out just wet aging. 

To each his own - I prefer 60 days for dry aging rib eye sub-primals. In fact I have one reaching that mile marker next week! As for wet aging that is controlled rotting in a wet condition vs. dry aging which is removing the water and concentrating the beefy tasty.
  • RRP
    Options

Overall disappointed.  C+ grade.  Cut into and everything looked right. Smelled a little funky with vinegar type smell to it. Grilled them up and they cooked a little faster than I thought so they were a little dry. Had a very strong "country ham" flavor to it. I don't think they were spoiled because we were able to finish it. Typically rotten meat you struggle for one bite. I gave it a shot. Didn't get the sensational flavor I was expecting. I have a strip loin aging since Easter. Any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated. 
    Looks good to me - I have replied to you in detail - elsewhere. Ron