Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I guess I feel more like a man today... or more Mexican according to some! :P

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited April 2015 in Off Topic
Our previous house was the wifeys so I honestly didn't care too much about it.  With our new house, I kinda have a lil more pride since it's essentially my first home.

Decided I didn't want to pay for lawn service anymore (even though it was $25 and will take me a year or a lil more to break even).  I'm actually geeked out about this.  Today, I upgraded my old corded Stihl trimmer for his gassy big brother and got talked into the blower at a discounted price.  Picked the Honda on sale a few days ago, which is the first lawn mower I've ever owned (believe it or not Dylan).   =)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome tools. You will love the leaf blower. I'm 50 years old and just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I had heard all the talk about how great that they were for years but was skeptical. Well, now that I own one, my leaf blower is like my mini. Wish that I would have bought one years ago. Both the Honda and the Stihl are top end products that will give you years of trouble free service. Enjoy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have a stihl weedeater and chainsaw. I like them a lot. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So Hispanics are only good for mowing lawns and landscaping?  Isn't your wife Latina?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So Hispanics are only good for mowing lawns and landscaping?  Isn't your wife Latina?
    Wife is white...like "hey let's take bluebonnet pictures" white.  :lol: 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've had their straight shaft trimmer for a few years now and love the fact it starts with one or two pulls  every time.   They make great product.  Use to have a Honda mower but upgraded to Gravely 36inch walk behind.  Wife gave me the ok to get a new toy, then complained about spending 6k in the last few months on "toys". I think she is setting me up, she's had her eye on a new car. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• cazzy
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I've had their straight shaft trimmer for a few years now and love the fact it starts with one or two pulls  every time.   They make great product.  Use to have a Honda mower but upgraded to Gravely 36inch walk behind.  Wife gave me the ok to get a new toy, then complained about spending 6k in the last few months on "toys". I think she is setting me up, she's had her eye on a new car. 
    What is the benefit of a straight vs curved trimmer?  I was looking at it but didn't pull the trigger. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Make sure you use ethanol treatment in all your new toys otherwise you'll be replacing them. I have the same blower. It replaced an Echo that was an ethanol victim. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh @ryantt you're totally getting set up
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    WTH!? & Here I thought we shared commonality with Latina Brides. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or 100% gas if available. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those are top-notch tools cazzy.

I'm lucky....SWMBO like to do the yard.
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Make sure you use ethanol treatment in all your new toys otherwise you'll be replacing them. I have the same blower. It replaced an Echo that was an ethanol victim. 
    I bought and used STA-BIL for the Honda.  Does that work or do I need something else?

Also, I assume I just combine the STA-BIL (assuming it works) with the oil and gas, right?

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    On the OT OP nice equipment that should give you years of trouble free usage. No way I could go back to a little mower... Have to have my lawn tractor. I credit my wife on that. Used to use a small push (non self-propelled) mower and it would take almost 6 hours to just mow the lawn. forget about the time that it took the edge weed eat and blow off the concrete.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Nope. The Sta-Bil works great. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Fuel stabilizer and ethanol treatment are different products. Sta bil makes both. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a Stihl and a honda.  Worst purchase I ever made.  Except for my BBQ guru.  Only used that once.  I even had a house once.  That was an even worser purchase.  Now I live under a bridge.  Don't even need a house.  It keeps the water off my head.  And no lawn.  So I don't need to use my hand trimmers.  Got 'em in 1849.  Those are the only thing a man with a lawn needs.

j/k - congrats on the new toys, 'er necessary tools.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Or non ethanol.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ryantt
    Options
    @cazzy straight shaft trimmers are nicer to edge with and easier to get under things like decks and swings.  Honestly that's about it. And I agree she's setting me up. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    And yes mix it with the gas then mix the oil. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or non ethanol.

Guess I said that wrong, but I'm a jawja redneck, so whatever. :)
  • cazzy
    Options
    Fuel stabilizer and ethanol treatment are different products. Sta bil makes both. 
    OK...I see the difference now.  They didn't have it at HD when I went.  I will order some.  Good looking out.  Im guessing it is over the long run and one tank won't kill me, right?
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @cazzy straight shaft trimmers are nicer to edge with and easier to get under things like decks and swings.  Honestly that's about it. And I agree she's setting me up. 
    Good for tall folks too
  • ryantt
    Options
    Get a dedicated 1 gallon can for the oil/gas mix and write the ratio on it in giant letters on each side with a Sharpie so you don't put it in the mower or put unmixed in your blower and weed eaters.
    agree 100%, I don't know how many times when I worked for a landscaper people put the wrong fule in the mowers or blowers. 

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Have had my blower for about 10 years now and runs like champ. I have the back blower/sprayer as well with the 4gallon spray unit for spraying my yard for the dreaded dandelions. Hate them things. I think I hate them for father use to make us pick bushel baskets of them so him and his crowed could make there dandelion wine. You will get years of quality use if you take care of them.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is the Stabil for treating ethanol. Also here is a fuel mix by Stihl that is ethanol free and has a stabilizer as well as the 2 stroke oil mixed in. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    cazzy said:
    OK...I see the difference now.  They didn't have it at HD when I went.  I will order some.  Good looking out.  Im guessing it is over the long run and one tank won't kill me, right?
    You'll be fine. Just don't make it a habit  =)
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    @cazzy those are top line equipment... should give you may years of use.  Be sure to use non-ethanol gas for your mix for the blower and trimmer.

My only vice besides the egg is my mower.  I love stripes!!

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have a 1979 or so Honda mower my MIL gave to me out of a storage shed. To this day sucker starts up like a charm and works great.
    Seattle, WA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Honda kicks ass- plus I made your grass catcher bag. So guess I should say thanks

Greensboro, NC