Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE at Sam's Club

Options
My local club has a couple of large eggs with nest and mates for $849.00.  I couldn't find an associate to ask about the warranty.  It's a great deal if there's a warranty.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    There is Sam's club warranty.  1 yr and money back.  After that nada.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    which city?
    Tulsa, OK.  Looks like the units were suppose to go to the Searcy, AR store.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No lifetime warrantee, no Egg for me! At least at that price.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    No lifetime warrantee, no Egg for me! At least at that price.
    Exactly.  Makes no sense.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    It's a perfect second egg for anyone who already owns a large.  Just claim warranty service on first egg
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    If I needed a second large, I'd take the risk for the price.  The BGE is tough, so the risk is minimal.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    They have them in Norman too. Someone is Searcy is pissed! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    maso said:
    They have them in Norman too. Someone is Searcy is pissed! 
    Ha!  That's what I was thinking too.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    What are LBGE prices these days?  I got mine in Dec 2008 for about $800 with a few accessories thrown in.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    Options
    and reads like BGE knows this is going on too...

NOTICE - Big Green Egg does not authorize distribution of its products through shopping clubs, wholesale clubs or discount club stores and discount chain stores, or through e-commerce sites. Any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller, and may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means, or may have obtained EGGs from third parties with the intention of re-selling them for promotional reasons. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products once they are resold by unauthorized resellers or resold by private parties. Consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator before making a purchase to verify that they are purchasing a genuine Big Green Egg product from an Authorized Big Green Egg Dealer and to obtain warranty coverage from Big Green Egg.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    My BGE is great and with that greatness, I have used my warranty more than once in the 15 years I've had it.  It's an important part of it.  If you want to go Kamado without support, buy one through Alibaba and roll those dice.
    Best - Jack
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    nice - there's a stack of vision accessory sets next to the BGEs.

what's with the "porcelain coated grid" is that something new or is Sam's embellishing?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd say the risk is substantial. Lots of eggs crack hence the lifetime warranty. $850 plus $500 for a new base. ...xl under warranty. Ymmv. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:

NOTICE - Big Green Egg does not authorize distribution of its products through shopping clubs, wholesale clubs or discount club stores and discount chain stores, or through e-commerce sites. Any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller, and may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means, or may have obtained EGGs from third parties with the intention of re-selling them for promotional reasons. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products once they are resold by unauthorized resellers or resold by private parties. Consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator before making a purchase to verify that they are purchasing a genuine Big Green Egg product from an Authorized Big Green Egg Dealer and to obtain warranty coverage from Big Green Egg.

This is the line that gets me.  They try to make it sound like the trucks from Mexico were hijacked and these are black market.

They were most likely NOT obtained through "fraudulent or other improper means"--they were bought from their distributors or dealers.  Perfectly legal, just outside the scope of their dealership agreement--which Sam's is not bound by.  That's between them and the distributor/dealer, NOT them and the consumer.

So combat it by punishing the uneducated consumer rather than deal with the actual supply chain problem......despicable practice.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Are you sure it is only 1 year at Sams?  I don't see any time limit on the return policy:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shoppingtools/returnorder/refundAndReturns.jsp

That being said- chances are they won't have any more so all you can do is return it and then you have to buy another egg anyway.  The price is good but you can do as good or a little better at an eggfest and get the warranty.  Not to mention I would be worried about actually getting a refund at Sam's after a couple of years if the base cracks. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Way better deal at Costco With KJ.  That is, if you're gonna get a kamado specifically at a discount warehouse.  
  • 4Runner
    Options
    4Runner said:

This is the line that gets me.  They try to make it sound like the trucks from Mexico were hijacked and these are black market.

They were most likely NOT obtained through "fraudulent or other improper means"--they were bought from their distributors or dealers.  Perfectly legal, just outside the scope of their dealership agreement--which Sam's is not bound by.  That's between them and the distributor/dealer, NOT them and the consumer.

So combat it by punishing the uneducated consumer rather than deal with the actual supply chain problem......despicable practice.

Although not probable, it could very well happen.  The language is simply trying to cover all scenarios which includes theft.

Yes, I take responsibility of knowing that I'm purchasing any product from an authorized dealer, or not, and then own those consequences.  I don't have a problem with that.    
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    4Runner said:

Although not probable, it could very well happen.  The language is simply trying to cover all scenarios which includes theft.

Yes, I take responsibility of knowing that I'm purchasing any product from an authorized dealer, or not, and then own those consequences.  I don't have a problem with that.    

Right, and I could see those other scenarios (like theft) if you saw brand new eggs on eBay or craigslist.  But, they are most likely legit at Sam's because I highly doubt WalMart is stupid enough to buy stolen goods.  They have a vetting process for vendors just like all the other big retailers.

I'm with you, I'd buy one at Sam's / Costco, then just take it back there if anything went wrong.

• LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think that it's wrong for BGE not to honor the warranty on the Eggs at Sam's/Costco.  The consumer, most likely, would think the merchandise was a limited purchase and think he/she got a great deal due to the Club's purchasing power.  Sometimes you see something and the next week it's not there.  Not only that, there is nothing in the warranty paperwork telling the uninformed purchaser saying that Sam's/Costco, etc. is not an authorized dealer.  The customer will be pretty angry if the warranty is not honored after legally purchasing a BGE product at any retail store. BGE should find a means of finding out which distributer of theirs reselling their products improperly and drop them. I am sure serial numbers can be traced. If BGE does not honor the warranty, they may lose many customers due to word of mouth that they do not back up their warranty. Punish the unethical distributor, not a potential repeat customer.
  • scottcrazydog
    Options
    I hope bge never gives in to these big box stores. So many manufacturers have gone the way of making cheaper models to sell in these type stores but still sell the better stuff at their store and consumers think they are getting a great product. One is john deere, the mower they sell at their store will be about $4000 but you can get one a Lowes for $2000 and I tell you there's a big difference in quality
  • LadyGT
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Big box stores are not the only companies that do this. Think about the outlet stores. Those companies make different quality items for the outlets than the more expensive stores like Macy's or Dillard's. Outlet stores sell factory seconds as well. 

The customer and the manufacturer lose because the customer expects the company to back up their brand new product. If the manufacturer doesn't, word of mouth travels fast and ruins it's reputation. The customer is an innocent pawn. 

I am a member of Sam's Club and could have been one of those potential buyers. Most likely there would be no disclaimer indicating the warranty would be void if purchased. BGE are not cheap. The customer has every right to be angry because it was legally purchased at a retail store and to expect full warranty coverage. 

Big Green Egg must find a way to control who distributes their products and take them to court.

When my husband did the warranty info online, I believe the question was asked where was the place of purchase. What is to prevent a customer from telling a lie? Is there a way to confirm this by the serial number? How many people keep their receipts for the lifetime of their purchases?

The average customer is purchasing based on the reputation of BGE.
    How many customers are going to check the BGE website before purchasing to find a disclaimer? Do you do that before buying items? Most people buy on impulse when a good deal is found. 

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I hope bge never gives in to these big box stores. So many manufacturers have gone the way of making cheaper models to sell in these type stores but still sell the better stuff at their store and consumers think they are getting a great product. One is john deere, the mower they sell at their store will be about $4000 but you can get one a Lowes for $2000 and I tell you there's a big difference in quality
    Whether BGE starts to sell in big box stores or not really doesn't matter to me.  I agree with your argument that some manufacturers do sell a lower quality item at the big box stores but I ask, what exactly on a BGE would you be worried about being lower quality?  We're talking about two totally different types of products here.  A John Deere is made up of hundreds of moving parts where you can save money over quality and a BGE has 3-4 (the dome/hinge, the firebox vent, daisey wheel and maybe the thermometer).  If you're worried about ceramics, I think if BGE decided to sell in big box stores legitimately, instead of how they do it now, you would assume that the warranty would be either changed to cover those eggs or changed completely across the board to something different.    
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • 4Runner
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    I think that it's wrong for BGE not to honor the warranty on the Eggs at Sam's/Costco.  The consumer, most likely, would think the merchandise was a limited purchase and think he/she got a great deal due to the Club's purchasing power.  Sometimes you see something and the next week it's not there.  Not only that, there is nothing in the warranty paperwork telling the uninformed purchaser saying that Sam's/Costco, etc. is not an authorized dealer.  The customer will be pretty angry if the warranty is not honored after legally purchasing a BGE product at any retail store. BGE should find a means of finding out which distributer of theirs reselling their products improperly and drop them. I am sure serial numbers can be traced. If BGE does not honor the warranty, they may lose many customers due to word of mouth that they do not back up their warranty. Punish the unethical distributor, not a potential repeat customer.
    I disagree.  BGE is very clear and this is pretty common place across industries to support their authorized dealers.

Also, you go to their site and to get a list of authorized dealers.  It comes down to the consumer taking responsibility for their purchasing decision and making sure they understand what the "deal of lifetime" really includes or doesn't include.    
  • LadyGT
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I saw that this morning before my post. When you buy a tv, washing machine or a big ticket item, do you go to the manufacturers website to see their warranty? When a customer goes to Sam's Club, you never know what you will find. I have never seen a BGE there, but have seen their competition.  

When people shop at a big box store, they take it for granted that their products are fully warranted. If I bought a big screen tv there, I expect the same warranty there as anywhere else because it is a legit and reputable business. Again, the manufacturer should be responsible to sell to distributors with integrity. 

I wish the company would explain why it makes a difference where you buy it.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    If I bought a big screen tv there, I expect the same warranty there as anywhere else because it is a legit and reputable business. Again, the manufacturer should be responsible to sell to distributors with integrity. 

Please explain why it makes a difference where you buy it.
    I agree. Most consumers that have heard about the lifetime warranty that comes with an egg would assume that it would come with it no matter which store it was bought at. 

BGE could find out which distributor or dealer unloaded those eggs at Sams etc if they wanted to. For some reason they choose not to. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • 4Runner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But the reason they do it is to support their business strategy of smaller, more local type stores and protect their authorized dealers this way.  For example, a buddy of mine wants to buy his 24" KJ locally but the Cosco 50 miles away is selling it for $300 cheaper.  Guess where he is going?   Yep, the big store.  The local guy can't compete with the giant club store.   BGE wants to sell through smaller establishments.   Lots of high end electronics companies do this as well.   The manufacture must protect their dealers and to do so, they only recognize the warranty from the authorized dealer.  Pretty common practice.  
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    4Runner said:

It says "...does authorize the distribution..."  Who cares what they authorized, it happened.  They authorized the sale to a dealer/distributor who breached their contract with the manufacturer.......why should the consumer get screwed?  Most likely, it was not through "fraudulent or improper means".  Take control of the dealers/distributors rather than throw paragraphs of legalese at the potential customer.

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    BGE may support the distributors in doing this, units sold without the worry of future warranty claims. Pads the bottom line.