Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Question

Options
I will be cooking 18 LB. of pork shoulder for a party of 30 to 40. I have a lot to do the day of the party. How can I cook it the day before and reheat it on the day of the party with out drying it out on the reheat?

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I've had success doing it the day before and reheating it slowly in the oven the day of without it being dry.  I sauced it with my normal amount of sauce prior to putting it in the oven to reheat.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Butts are very fatty, so moisture will not be an issue.  

I've cooked Q for work on a Sunday and pulled and placed in containers for the next day.  I asked people to bring a crock pot to put the Q in to warm.  

I'll add a little bit of sauce plus apple cider vinegar to moisten up a little.  It's not AS good a fresh pull or chop, but I have never received a complaint other than I need to do it again.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    if you can carve out enough time to pull on the day of the party, that would be ideal - you can reheat slowly in an oven in a pan loosely covered with foil then pull it and serve
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Cook a day or two ahead of time and then vac seal it in bags if you have the equipment.  Ive done that, then either nuked it at low power to heat it or I've warmed it in a water bath in a large crock pot on high power.

I've smoked, rested, pulled, then bagged and vacced.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Reheat in crock pot.....or, BGE is efficient enough to set and forget for an overnighter once temp is stabil
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks for the for the suggestion. some good thoughts

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    put it in a tinfoil turkey roasting pan and cover with foil, mix a can of coke with  it. reheat in the oven and transfer to a crock
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    Up at 5 am to get it started. I used dry rub last night and it sat in the frig last night. It is 2 9lb.you guys got it right.
  • chick533
    chick533 Posts: 50
    Options
    Vacuum seal the pork, save all of the juice in mason jars and refrigerant. The day of the event, shred the pork and pan. Remove the fat from the tops of the mason jars, pour juice over pork, cover with foil heat for several hours around 180 - 200
    2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
    Raymore, MO