Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Any gardeners out there?

Options

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I always heard "pinch off the suckers" but never have as I wasn't sure what was a sucker and what wasn't.  This really helps.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    to burn last years growth or not. still a month away from planting. wasnt sure but did it anyways this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    tz666 said:
    @Chubbs so do you weave the melon vine into that and let it grow up to keep it off the ground? I have tried melons before and my melons always rot on the bottom. I have 3 plants now planted

Yeah melons dont have tendrils like cukes but you can train them up by weaving them in and out. If they do grow on ground, rotate them every other day so one spot doesn't sit on the ground/moisture. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks @Chubbs !  I was still a little confused as to what to pinch off exactly.  I am pretty confident now what to pinch off.  

My plants are still young and I haven't examined closely yet, but I wonder when suckers start and when do you start pinching them (I assume early and when you see them).  
    Yeah still early yet. The suckers I have removed so far are only an inch long. They get enormous if left alone. Just remember this is for indeterminate only. It is easier to get them when they are small like the sample pic. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I always heard "pinch off the suckers" but never have as I wasn't sure what was a sucker and what wasn't.  This really helps.
    Yeah think of your body as main stem, your arm as a leaf and anything growing out of your armpit as a sucker. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    4Runner said:
    Yeah think of your body as main stem, your arm as a leaf and anything growing out of your armpit as a sucker. 
    I have been pinching off those suckers....for years now.   :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Now I have to remember where I planted what.  I have Romas, German Johnsons, and Cherokee's.  

The Romas are the determinate ones of the bunch.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Options
    The Romas are the determinate ones of the bunch.  
    Correct. I grow a good bit of Romas and make sauce. Never grown the other two varieties. This year I went with Box Car Willie, Abe Lincoln, Mortgage Lifter, and Brandwine to join my Romas. This will give a nice variety of large beefsteak type, medium, and clusters. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I bought some Romas that are indeterminate. Amish Paste Roma I believe. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I bought some Romas that are indeterminate. Amish Paste Roma I believe. 
    Nice! Can't get those around here because of our climate. Looks great though!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @Chubbs. Aren't you in Columbia? I bought mine at HD in metro Atlanta. We should be in the same zone. Do mine stand a chance of making it? 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @Chubbs. Aren't you in Columbia? I bought mine at HD in metro Atlanta. We should be in the same zone. Do mine stand a chance of making it? 
    Yes I am. Interesting! I have never seen them and when I looked them up it said watch for sunscald in hotter climates. Appears there are less leaves than typical Roma which allows the leaves and fruit to get more sun. You should be fine. If they start to wilt just look into a way of shading it some. They are heirloom though so save the seeds!! If they are good you can keep them and have them every year
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Good deal. My area isn't full sun so that should work. I ordered some insect netting so that will provide some light filtration as well. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Any thoughts on red mulch? I'm thinking of getting some from HD with their four for ten deal and loading it under the tomatoes and peppers....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Any thoughts on red mulch? I'm thinking of getting some from HD with their four for ten deal and loading it under the tomatoes and peppers....
    Honestly, I wouldn't put that around my plants.  I would think the dye would leech.  I would stick to natural stuff (pine bark, needles, hardwood mulch etc.).  Others may see differently though.  

I need to get a few bales more of pine needles to go on mine.   
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I would not use it unless they know the source of dye and wood used. Some use a vegetable based dye. Others will use chemicals. Even more important, where is the wood from. Most dyed mulch uses recycled wood. Some recycled wood contains arsenic but that is early 2000s and before. A lot of questions, so for me I shy away. I use organic compost around my plants. Go to a reputable landscape supply location and get a truck bed full for $35. Much safer and actually has more nutrients for your plants in my opinion. Your call though. Just my .02. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Cedar mulch is a natural bug repellant. 
  • Chubbs
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For those who are interested in "topping peppers". Here is an example from my own garden. I am not sure what order vanilla wants to posts pics today but the tall narrow plant was not topped. The shorter stockier plant with two main stems was one that was topped. This one will produce far more fruit and is stronger get to support it. Top those pepper plants!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Did my more mature plants yesterday. Some haven't split yet. 
  • Chubbs
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Did my more mature plants yesterday. Some haven't split yet. 
    I did mine when they were growing indoors. I took some small scissors and clipped off the top of the main stem and some smaller leaves. I waited until there were 5 or 6 true leaves (not cotyledons) and tried to leave 4 leaves. Worked well. The ones I topped are far more compact, bushier, and more sturdy. The size of the leaves alone shows the benefit. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Mine aren't quite as large as yours, but I believe some could be topped soon.  I am eager to see the results.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Tilled up my garden this past weekend and waiting to plant this weekend.  Skipped last year due to family commitments, but looking forward to getting my garden planted this year.  My son, 4.5 is looking forward to it as well.

My parents, aunts and uncles were/are all into gardening.

Found this about pinching tomato plants...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxj_O72SgZU
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks @HDmstng   I was trying to post something similar but could not get video to post. Any tips?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Chubbs YouTube videos you only post the link in the body of your reply. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Cool, thanks. What about videos on my own iPhone?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The only way I've been able to embed the YouTube video is on the iPad I. HTML mode. Otherwise, only he link posts. Don't see that option on mobile   
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Cool, thanks. What about videos on my own iPhone?
    I upload to YouTube then link....
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Cedar mulch is a natural bug repellant. 
    Yes it is. It also pulls nitrogen from the garden though. Not sure which benefit outweighs the downfall. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Just want to say a quick THANKS b/c I have pulled lots of good info from this post.  When I get some time this weekend, I will upload some pics of my raised bed (herbs/lettuces) and pots (tomato/peppers/mint).
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Glad they were helpful.  I've been thinking of doing raised beds since weeds always seem to be an issue.  Growing up my family always did in ground though and my dad had a Troy Bilt Horse tiller he bought new in 1973.  These were the BGE of tillers at the time.  It ran up until about 14 years ago when the engine blew and it sat outside for about 8 years.  I put a $99 harbor freight engine on it, cleared off some rust and replaced a couple of broken items, and it was up and running again.  After that, I did a full restore, replaced every seal and bolt, then had it powder coated.  Still have a few finishing touches, but I put it back to work.  But if I go raised beds, won't have much use for the tiller.