Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Tenderloin recipes? (non-BGE)

I don't have an egg with me on this trip, but you folks are the best cooks of large cuts of meat I know!

I'm on a trip and a friend brought these two whole tenderloins (8lbs. each) from Coscto.

Any recommendations on simple ways to cook them?

My tools are...an oven.   We also have two open camp charcoal grills if needed, but I'd rather stick to the oven if possible.  Hoping for flavorful MR cooks.

Thanks in advance for any tips.   It's $180 of meat (yeah, seems high) so I don't want to screw it up.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Do you have a minute to call me? If so, you will save me a lot of typing. 228-627-5400. If I don't hear from you shortly, I will start typing.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Start typing ( just because I want to hear it myself). 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Start typing ( just because I want to hear it myself). 
    What are you doing up this late brother?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cant sleep my friend. Got somethin going on with me as of late. Having anxiety issues and insomnia. Sleep about every other night. On a good note, my blood pressure is awesome now after my little spell in january. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Cant sleep my friend. Got somethin going on with me as of late
    insomnia. 
    Been dealing with the above issues my whole life. If lack of sleep was lethal, I would have passed away 40 years ago. I feel your pain, it sucks. My wife can sleep day or night at will. Wish I could. With all that said, hope all is well with you.

Status- Standing by.

• Yeah I'll be okay. I just keep having anxiety attacks for no reason whatsoever. I am probably as happy as I've ever been. Everything is going great. Kids healthy. Wife healthy. Business is great. I just have these attacks pop up. Thankfully my BP is always good but my pulse jumps up. Was hitting about 120 on friday. Just not a good feeling. But other than that, guess all is well. Baseball is in full swing so thats been a lot of fun. My 7 year old is playing great. Is got a natural talent for it. He nearly hit one over the fence last week (we play 8 and under off pitching machine). I'll try and send you some video. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
     I just keep having anxiety attacks for no reason whatsoever. 
    You being a pharmacist I'm sure that you already know this but they make medicine for that. Cymbalta cured mine as well as my anger issues.  

Status- Standing by.

• Yeah I'm probably gonna start something. It had been really sporadic but gotten more frequent. 

Little Rock, AR

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Ha!  I'm back up...but I bet you're sleeping now.   :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Can't go wrong with the following:

Trim off all the exterior fat and silver skin
    Make a small slice about halfway down the tail and fold it under itself so that the thickness is uniform, tie with butchers string.
    Liberally salt and pepper all sides
    Roast elevated in a roasting pan at 475 until desired doneness (over 115* is a sin)
    Melt some butter and pour it over the top right when it comes out of the oven
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Thanks, MelSharples!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I do it almost the exact opposite way, 250 oven until your desired IT.  Cracked pepper and kosher salt, tuck fresh thyme sprigs under the butcher twine.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Either way (hot and fast / low and slow) will work.  I'd normally sear the outside on a grill before roasting...but if that's not convenient, skip it.  You do want to fold the tail under...tying may or may not actually be necessary if it's not going to get moved around a lot while cooking.

Since those are whole tenderloins, you have some "butchering" work to do, removing as much silver skin as possible (I take it you don't have your normal assortment of knives with you either).  Ideally, a boning knife would be used for this.  You'll also remove the side chain, which should be saved as it can be pounded and turned into really good steak/cheese steak sandwiches.

Another option though, if you're worried about screwing up $80 chunks of meat, is to just slice them into tenderloin steaks.  I used to do that pretty frequently.  Just cut cross sectional steaks, 2-2.5" thick, sear in a hot pan on the stove top, then salt and season (I use kosher salt and a liberal coating of Italian seasoning) and bake at 350F for 15+- a few min depending on how done everyone wants.  When you get to the tail, where it's too thin to cut more steaks, butterfly that, and add it to the side chain for steak sandwich meat.  For bonus points, throw several peeled cloves of garlic in the pan before it goes in the oven.  When the steaks are done, crush the garlic, toss in some sliced mushrooms and/or onions, add some vermouth or other cooking wine, and cook those as a garnish.