Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or X-Large.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't decide on whether to buy the Large or X-Large Egg. Is the X-Large shaped differently? Any suggestions on which to buy?

Comments

• Stephen Foster,
    Do "Not" buy either till you get a chance to see them, side by side if you can. Make a drive to a dealer that stocks both. They are very different. Both are great but very different. If you can't find a dealer post your location and a nice egger in your area might show his or hers off.
    Regards,
    Darian

• Photo Egg, I can't remember who it was, but someone on this forum recently said instead of getting an XL Egg, get a large and a medium. When you use any egg you have to heat all of the egg up, and keep it hot thru the entire cook. An XL will require more coal to do so than any other egg. That to me is not that big a deal, but something that I find of real value to having 2 Eggs instead of 1 really big one is flexibilty. When cooking on an Egg it is recommended that you keep the lid closed as to keep in the moisture. So let's say you are cooking a whole chicken, but also want to do some wings, one Egg would not be ideal, but a large and a medium (or smaller) would be the ticket. As a kid learning algebra I always said it was a waste, but I just sat down and used it to figure the amount of grill space for an XL versus both a large and a medium. An Xl has 452 square inches of cooking surface, a large has 261, and a medium has 176. that comes out to 452 for the XL and a total of 437 for the large AND medium combined. That is only 15 inches difference. As for price at my BGE dealer (just for the Eggs, no wings or nests), an XL is 999,large 699, and a medium 499. thats only $200 more for so much more flexibility. Also, in the last day or three some people were saying the XL does not have enough space between the plate setter and grill to place a drip pan. Hope this helps.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Zee,
    Your math is correct but your Algebra is still doing you no good in this case...that's Geometry.[p]Sorry couldn't resist.

• FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Stephen Foster,
    large first then later a med

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Stephen Foster,
    Ironic that you ask the question. I was thinking about an XL this evening. I really don't need one but it would be nice when you have guest over and do a large cook. In my opinion, anyone getting into the Egg world should get the large first. [p]Chef Jerry