Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Member and First Time Ribs on BGE

Options
Hello Everyone!

This is my first attempt doing ribs in the BGE, I have done many racks over the years on my electric smoker and Weber Kettle, so I had some previous experience.  They turned out great, family loved them!  My only problem was getting the egg all set up quickly so the heat wouldn't rise too much when it was open (lid)  It started off at 300 and took about an hour to get back to 250.  Next time I will try to get the temps set better before putting the ribs in.
Thanks to this forum, there is tons of great and helpful information on here for new eggers!
Much appreciated!http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q638/stevancec/IMG_4219_zpspgqitdsv.jpg
Toronto, Canada  LBGE

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Let's try putting your pic in here:

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and the cook looks great. Keep posting your cooks and hopefully you are now hooked!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome. That's an easy mistake to make. Don't let it get so hot starting out and catch it on the way up. Set your vents close to where you think they should be when you get about 50 degrees below your desired temp. It comes with practice. 

Nice first cook!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Looks good.  Key on eggs is catch the temp on the way up.  Also, unlike Webers light just a few spots of lump.  No need for ash over like briquettes.

If you have run a WSM then its similiar, except coming to temp.  On my WSM I intentionally overshoot my temp.  On the egg, as you found out, that error takes a while to correct.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    There certainly is a 'learning' curve on the egg .. you'll get the hang if it soon enough. In fact, it took me six months to get the temp control going in my favor. Now - I control the temp, it doesn't control me.

Welcome and congrats on your first time rib cook. You are home!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Good point Tim. Don't chase the temp. Get it close to what you want. For me 270 may be 260 or 280. You start chasing and it controls you. 
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! Thanks fljoemon for posting the pict, will have to learn that trick!  I did use my chimney to start the lump, maybe next time I will start a smaller fire so it doesn't get out of control too quickly.
    Cheers!
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Good point Tim. Don't chase the temp. Get it close to what you want. For me 270 may be 260 or 280. You start chasing and it controls you. 
    Agreed above.  20 degrees up or down doesn't mean that much.  If it is at 300 and want it at 250, close the vents to about an 1/8" and wait about 30 minutes.  If you are putting a lot of meat on it will bring the temp down to, because of the cold mass in the egg tell the egg catches back up.  If you are shooting for 250, start closing the vents at 200.  @YYZeggerNice looking ribs and Welcome.  How did they taste to the other way you used to do them?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome! Great looking ribs. You got lots of good advice already.  If you're in TO, mark June 13 on your calendar!
    http://www.biggreeneggtoronto.com/   

canuckland
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome to the circus. Nice looking ribs
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    Nice. Did you foil them?
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your hospitality!  The Ribs were juicy and they had a really nice smoke ring, much better than I ever had with my electric smoker.  I also will be attending the Eggfest in Toronto, looking forward to that, thanks for the reminder! I did foil them after that photo for about 30mins, family was getting hungry...  I would have put them in a cooler for an hour as well, but ran out of time.  Cant wait to do my first brisket on the BGE!  
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE