Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Beef Ribs

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I used Aaron Franklin's method to smoke these plate ribs. Lousiana Hot Sauce as a binder and Salt and Pepper. Smoked with Post Oak chunks at 285 grid for 6 1/2 hours. Rested for one hour before serving.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    That looks gooood
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Looks awesome. How did they taste?
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would say it looks like you nailed it!! How was the taste?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks good from where I'm sitting. How did you like them?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great!!  I want some!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dstearn
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks good from where I'm sitting. How did you like them?

The ribs were tender and the flavor similar to brisket. It was a good change of pace from pork ribs. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm in. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Great looking ribs!
    Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Those look great..I am enjoying doing beef ribs as well..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    They look great. Are you sure they are plate ribs since they have 4 bones and plate ribs have 3.  Chuck short ribs have 4 bones.  They are both great, though, and cook about the same way.  Plate ribs are much more expensive (about twice the cost of chuck short ribs) and, to me, not worth the extra cost.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dstearn
    Options
    Shiff said:
    They look great. Are you sure they are plate ribs since they have 4 bones and plate ribs have 3.  Chuck short ribs have 4 bones.  They are both great, though, and cook about the same way.  Plate ribs are much more expensive (about twice the cost of chuck short ribs) and, to me, not worth the extra cost.
    Thanks, They were Short Plate Ribs which from what I have read have 4 bones. They were not cheap eithet, around $5.00 per lb.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Rock solid cook there. Nice looking Dinos :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Shiff
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Thanks, They were Short Plate Ribs which from what I have read have 4 bones. They were not cheap eithet, around $5.00 per lb.
    According to the NAMP definitions for meat cuts, the Plate Short Ribs are NAMP 123 and consists of ribs 6,7 and 8.  I have bought these at restaurant depot for around $6.75 per pound.

The Chuck Short ribs are NAMP 130 and consists of ribs 2,3,4, and 5. These cost around $3.75/pound at restaurant depot. 

Most markets charge around $7 per pound for the chuck short ribs.  The chuck short ribs are usually a tougher cut of meat than plate ribs but when cooked on the egg they are low and slow they are about the same as plate ribs. Plare ribs have more fat (at least the ones I've seen) which may make them a little more tender.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dstearn
    Options
    Shiff said:
    dstearn said:
    According to the NAMP definitions for meat cuts, the Plate Short Ribs are NAMP 123 and consists of ribs 6,7 and 8.  I have bought these at restaurant depot for around $6.75 per pound.

The Chuck Short ribs are NAMP 130 and consists of ribs 2,3,4, and 5. These cost around $3.75/pound at restaurant depot. 

Most markets charge around $7 per pound for the chuck short ribs.  The chuck short ribs are usually a tougher cut of meat than plate ribs but when cooked on the egg they are low and slow they are about the same as plate ribs. Plare ribs have more fat (at least the ones I've seen) which may make them a little more tender.
    I believe I purchased the Short Plate Ribs English Cut: 

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/zen_of_beef_ribs.html
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Shiff said:
    dstearn said:

I believe I purchased the Short Plate Ribs English Cut: 

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/zen_of_beef_ribs.html
    No, you likely bought them from HEB and they only carry beef chuck ribs.  They only have plate short ribs in their system so we unfortunately pay a higher price for them.  

Read more about them here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-pitmasters-dont
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh..for plate short ribs, your best chance is Restaurant Depot.  They don't always have them, but that's where I finally scored some.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Shiff said:
    According to the NAMP definitions for meat cuts, the Plate Short Ribs are NAMP 123 and consists of ribs 6,7 and 8.  ...
    @Shiff ... NAMP 123A more closely describes the three bone Plate Short Ribs ... yes?

See page 42 here ...  http://www.chefs-resources.com/files/Meat-Buyers-Guide-PDF/IMPS Beef Guide.pdf

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Shiff
    Options
    Shiff said:
    According to the NAMP definitions for meat cuts, the Plate Short Ribs are NAMP 123 and consists of ribs 6,7 and 8.  ...
    @Shiff ... NAMP 123A more closely describes the three bone Plate Short Ribs ... yes?

See page 42 here ...  http://www.chefs-resources.com/files/Meat-Buyers-Guide-PDF/IMPS Beef Guide.pdf

Yes. I just used 123 to designate the section since the A,B, etc. usually just denotes how it is trimmed .

Supermarket butchers confuse things as @cazzy said.  The word "plate" should not be used when chuck short ribs are being discussed.  Plate ribs are in the #130 group.  The meat is different andf also much more expensive.

Restaurant Depot around here usually has both types so you have to be careful when purchasing since they look so similar.

My wife and I prefer the chuck short ribs (#123) due to price and lower fat content.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Shiff said:

Yes. I just used 123 to designate the section since the A,B, etc. usually just denotes how it is trimmed .

Supermarket butchers confuse things as @cazzy said.  The word "plate" should not be used when chuck short ribs are being discussed.  Plate ribs are in the #130 group.  The meat is different andf also much more expensive.

Restaurant Depot around here usually has both types so you have to be careful when purchasing since they look so similar.

My wife and I prefer the chuck short ribs (#123) due to price and lower fat content.
    @Shiff ... you've reversed your numbers ... Chuck short ribs are #130 and short ribs from the plate or rib primal are #123.

I agree with you and @cazzy that the supermarket (even specialty market) butchers confuse things with their local naming system.  It has taken me several months to understand the rib cuts.

We shouldn't add to the confusion ... please consider adding the "A" to the 123 cut when you define it as a three bone cut.  With out the "A" the cut is defined as anywhere from 2 to 5 rib bones.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Well, whatever they are they sure look good!  I agree with others- looks like you nailed them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Opps, my bad ... yes, the ribs do look good. 

Where do you live?  I ask that question 'cuz you said you used post oak for smoke wood.  Is post oak milder than our Midwestern oak ... stronger ... the same as?

• Shiff
    Options
    @Shiff ... you've reversed your numbers ... Chuck short ribs are #130 and short ribs from the plate or rib primal are #123.

I agree with you and @cazzy that the supermarket (even specialty market) butchers confuse things with their local naming system.  It has taken me several months to understand the rib cuts.

We shouldn't add to the confusion ... please consider adding the "A" to the 123 cut when you define it as a three bone cut.  With out the "A" the cut is defined as anywhere from 2 to 5 rib bones.
    You are absolutely correct, I did reverse them on my last post.  I'll try to edit it, but I think it is too late.

I also should have referred to plate ribs as 123A, 123B, or 123C since they are all specified as ribs 6,7, and 8.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dstearn
    edited April 2015
    Options

Where do you live?  I ask that question 'cuz you said you used post oak for smoke wood.  Is post oak milder than our Midwestern oak ... stronger ... the same as?
    I am in the Chicago area, far west burbs. The Post Oak chunks that I use are from fruitawoods.com. The ribs are from Cermak Market a local chain.
  • cazzy
    Options
    dstearn said:

I am in the Chicago area, far west burbs. The Post Oak chunks that I use are from fruitawoods.com. The ribs are from Cermak Market a local chain.
    My bad...thought you were from Texas.  
  • dstearn
    Options
    cazzy said:
    dstearn said:

My bad...thought you were from Texas.  
    I wish I was. I could just wait in line at Franklins everyday and not have to BBQ. :-)