Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza. Getting a little better.

Options
2»

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @SGH.  I thought you wife was a dentist???  I would think she would prefer her Riunite without Copenhagen. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    onedbguru said:

So, when/where is Brisket Camp?
    We are shooting for Oct/Nov so it's not quite as hot and humid this time. Going to be in New Orleans again. 

blukat said:
    @SGH man the egg looked hot, what temp did you cook them on?
    These were a hot and fast "experiment". I kept the temp bouncing between 800-900 degrees. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Spydermunky- Brother it looks like you have got it going on. Can't wait to see the results.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    Options
    @SGH.  I thought you wife was a dentist???  I would think she would prefer her Riunite without Copenhagen. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
      I would think she would prefer her Riunite without Copenhagen.  
    I hear ya brother. The Copenhagen is for me. Oh she will try to get into it but I stop her  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    onedbguru said:

So, when/where is Brisket Camp?
    Brother if you are interested in cooking/demonstrating how to do pizza, please let us know. Would love to have you there for that. I would be standing there taking notes. You are welcome to use my egg or any unit I have.

Status- Standing by.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    DANG!!  I would love to take a trip to NOLA, but just found out (couple weeks ago) there will be a wedding during that timeframe for one of my kids.  and in this area a "cheap" wedding goes for around 20 Grand, they will be kicking in to help but still... 
  • SGH
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    DANG!!  I would love to take a trip to NOLA, but just found out (couple weeks ago) there will be a wedding during that timeframe for one of my kids.  and in this area a "cheap" wedding goes for around 20 Grand, they will be kicking in to help but still... 
    No problem brother, maybe you can make it next year. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH - If there is any possible way I can make Brisket Camp this year, I will be there. I'd be happy to share my limited pizza knowledge if I can make it.

It would be nice if someone local had a Black Stone Pizza Oven we could use, in addition to an egg. Just to show the difference and pros/cons of each respective cooker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:

It would be nice if someone local had a Black Stone Pizza Oven we could use, in addition to an egg. Just to show the difference and pros/cons of each respective cooker.
    If you are coming, I will buy a Blackstone. I have problems my friend, but money isn't one of them. Well except when the dumbocrats are in office  ;) All jokes aside, I want one for home use so I will gladly pick one up and bring it. That's actually a great idea to have something to make a comparison to. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @onedbguru, thanks for sharing the link. I've used semolina for years in homemade pasta.  Please let us know of your eggsperience with this dough for your pizza.thanks again for sharing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Your pizza skills might be getting better, but your also improving on pic skills. Nice all around. Flame pics are super cool. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Your pizza skills might be getting better, but your also improving on pic skills. Nice all around. Flame pics are super cool. 
    Thank you brother stem.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @stemc33- I see in your signature line that you have a igrill2. How do you like it? I ask because I ordered one off of Amazon less than a hour ago. It's not to late to cancel if you say it stinks. They have them on sale for 79 bucks so I thought why not.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    @stemc33- I see in your signature line that you have a igrill2. How do you like it? I ask because I ordered one off of Amazon less than a hour ago. It's not to late to cancel if you say it stinks. They have them on sale for 79 bucks so I thought why not.
    It's okay not great. Bluetooth connection seems to lack some, depending on how far away you egg might be a problem. The App is not the most user friendly. Also, don't trust the alarms. The unit shutoff during a butt cook once.

All in all I use it a lot though, especially in nasty weather so I don't have to run in and out to see what's going on. With your experience, you already know when to check on food, but it's nice to know if the egg is running away or dropping temps. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33- Thanks for the review. I think for 79 bucks I'm going to give it a try. 

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    @stemc33- Thanks for the review. I think for 79 bucks I'm going to give it a try. 
    You'll find use for it I'm sure. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    The biggest thing that I want it for is cooking 30+ pound clods. The cook is so long and there are 3 individual heads on a whole clod that it would save me a lot of constant checking. With 3 probes, I could start checking each part once the thermometer showed that I was getting close. It would cut out a lot of stabbing.  I'm getting old and lazy brother stem, thus every little bit helps.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    stemc33 said:
    The biggest thing that I want it for is cooking 30+ pound clods. The cook is so long and there are 3 individual heads on a whole clod that it would save me a lot of constant checking. With 3 probes, I could start checking each part once the thermometer showed that I was getting close. It would cut out a lot of stabbing.  I'm getting old and lazy brother stem, thus every little bit helps.
    It will work very good for that. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Maybe we should add pizza to the topics list at Brisket Camp?
    I would love to see someone who is really good at it demonstrate how to make them. Especially from scratch. We need a volunteer. 
    I'd be willing. Hoping I'm able to come to Brisket Camp whenever it is.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • thetrim
    Options
    @yzzi (And other Tampa Bay eggers) Road trip to NOLA in the Fall?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    I'd be willing. Hoping I'm able to come to Brisket Camp whenever it is.
    We are shooting for Oct/Nov. I'm guessing that the exact date will depend on what dates are open for rental. We will certainly try to post the date as far ahead as possible. Hopefully at least a month notice for everyone. With that said, you are more than welcome to cook, that would be spectacular. We are really going to try and step it way up this year. We want a pizza cook (hopefully you) I'm doing a small whole hog on unit #7's horizontal and a few Waygus on the vertical end. I'm also hoping to show how I actually make the deboned stuffed chickens and stuffed pork shoulders. The more people that will cook the better. Sure hope you make it. 

Status- Standing by.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SGH said:
    My family got me one for Christmas.  The Bluetooth connection drops out more than I would like. It quickly re-establishs the connection. I don't know if it is the iGrill or the iPad that is the issue. Sometimes the connection is rock solid.  

Using my Thermapen as a reference, one probe reads 1-2º low, and the other 1º high. Close enough to monitor cooks, but for exact temps to pull at, I still rely on my Thermapen.

I like being able to see how things are progressing while I am in the house. The picture is what my iPad looks like during a cook. For egg use, the probes fit into the dome hole nicely.  I usually set the dome probe with max and min temps just in case the egg decides to misbehave.  Alarm is set blast some music - just need to remember to turn up the volume control so you can hear it.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SGH
    Options
    @jtcBoynton- Thanks for the info and review. Again, I want it strictly for cooking clod so it should be more than sufficient for my intended use. The Bluetooth shouldn't be a issue I hope. My vertical smoker is less than 10 foot from where I sit in the living room. Again, thanks for the info. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    A little better? Hardly looks like it could be any better. That looks great Scott. 
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SGH
    Options
    Hibby said:
    A little better? Hardly looks like it could be any better. That looks great Scott. 
    You are way to kind brother. However I still thank you for the kind words.

Status- Standing by.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

You've got the pizza making down, but to me the dough is the key. Find a recipe that works at the temperature you like to cook pizza at and you will be happy.

With that said, it already looks like you something that would make me happy.