Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusty Daisy Wheel

Options
Hi Gang,  Any tips for removing rust from a rusty daisy wheel? 

Thanks! 

Comments

• SchwarzenEGGer
    Options
    I'm new to the EGG scene but the first thing that comes to my mind would be Nevr Dull if it's only surface rust.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Cook super hot and/or smoke something greasy If it isn't too rusty.  Make sure and take it off and put it inside the egg when putting the green cap on.  Keeps wheel from rusting (got that tip from someone on here).  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Knock off what you can. Coat it with cooking spray, and cook it at a good temp like you were seasoning a cast iron pan. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bottomfeeder
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    Cook super hot and/or smoke something greasy If it isn't too rusty.  Make sure and take it off and put it inside the egg when putting the green cap on.  Keeps wheel from rusting (got that tip from someone on here).  

I have been doing this for two years and have no rust what so ever.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it is nasty - like @Mickey was, blast it, either yourself or have it done and then season it like a CI pan.... Mickey doesn’t use his except for low and slows as he does all temp control with the bottom vent, I think his egg space is covered, mind you...
    If you have a high speed drill and a wire brush, that will “resurface” it enough to oil and preseason it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    +1 with what @DaveRichardson says.  blast with Pam and cook it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Options
    I'd throw it in the egg at a high temp and see what happens. I also store mine in the egg once the green cap is on every time. Never rusts.