Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, temperature in my BGE skyrocketed to 600 + as soon as I closed the lid

so I'm a newbie and I used my BGE for the first time today. It's a BGE small. I filled it up with BGE charcoal a little past the holes in the fire box as soon as I closed the lid the thermometer started to spike staying at 600+ no matter the vents maybe I needed to give it more time ? To settle or is a small too small to control ? Thanks in advance for the tips 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Did you have a raging fire when you closed the lid?  You don't have to wait for lump to ash over like briquettes. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just a question here. Did you get a charcoal chimney full of lump nice and hot and then dump in the small? If so, yes, you are hotter than you want to be. If you are using a chimney with the small egg, just use a small amount of lump and dump it on un-lit lump in the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Once it gets that hot, all you can do is shut it down - or cook it turbo.  I cook burgers/steaks at about that temp anyway... 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    As above-catch the temp on the way up-and with the SBGE start with around an apple or orange sized fire and then adjust your vents for the ball-park temp you want to hit.  Definitely no need to get the entire quantity of lump burning at the get go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mexirican
    Mexirican Posts: 19
    Thank you for the advice.  Yes I did have a fire , and I actually did use a chimney so you're probably absolutely right I lit all the charcoal I'm a victim of weber grill where as if I didn't light all the charcoal it would die out .  So I'll try much smaller 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Welcome to the insanity. This group can help a lot. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have an XL and when I do low-slow, I start with < 1/2 chimney, get it almost all hot, then dump it in the middle and then on top of that, add lump mixed with smoke chips filling up the firebox. add platesetter etc... and let it come UP to temp slowly.. I generally allow 45-1hr to stabilize before starting the cook. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I often use the chimney to start the fire for my small.  I fill the firebox completely with lump, and bury any smoke wood down in the lump.  I then put about 8-10 pieces in the chimney and get them going.  Dump them on top of the fresh lump, and I can catch and control any temp I want from 200 on up.  When you are learning, watch it closely, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Welcome!!

I use my chimney for wok cooks only. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I never use a chimney for my egg, just light the old & new lump in the egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Welcome!!

I use my chimney for wok cooks only. =)
    Where  did you get that nifty wok adapter for the chimney?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS