Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT....BGE vs Joe

Options

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Whirly said:
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/sinosphere/2014/04/25/after-cadmium-rice-now-lead-and-arsenic-rice/

First  problem you are assuming they use high grade fire clay. We don't know . Secondly they are poisoning their own environment  currently. Not worth the risk to find out if it is in the fire clay. Is the Chinese govt transparent and worried about our health  ?  Doubtful... Mattel toys . Miley Cyrus Jewelry
    why trust them? Google lead cadmium China. 
    Start reading. Not worth the risk

Actually I'm not assuming high grade fire clay, I highlighted the minimum standard, did you even read my post?  I can also pick a thousand things off the internet, in papers and scientific journals discussing how we are poisoning our own countries.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    The Joe forum blows.
    No kidding. When I first looked at getting a ceramic cooker, I went to the KJ forum and this forum. Well...the rest is history. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    The Joe forum blows.
    No kidding. When I first looked at getting a ceramic cooker, I went to the KJ forum and this forum. Well...the rest is history. 
    But was the "Devastated" thread started then? That may impact current decision making.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Options
    Whirly said:
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/sinosphere/2014/04/25/after-cadmium-rice-now-lead-and-arsenic-rice/

First  problem you are assuming they use high grade fire clay. We don't know . Secondly they are poisoning their own environment  currently. Not worth the risk to find out if it is in the fire clay. Is the Chinese govt transparent and worried about our health  ?  Doubtful... Mattel toys . Miley Cyrus Jewelry
    why trust them? Google lead cadmium China. 
    Start reading. Not worth the risk

lol utter ****... Ever heard of carbon monoxide?  The same carbon monoxide that is added to tilapia filets that is destined to USA consumers which is allowed by our government (FDA), but not allowed by the Chinese to their own.....

See how that works? 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Whirly said:
    I wouldn't buy any ceramic grill made in China 
    Besides contaminant issues do you really think the fire clay is better than what BGE uses? green all the way!
    Very unlikely any heavy metals from the ceramic would contaminate the food.  First of all, the ceramic is vitrified into a very stable matrix at much higher temps than you would ever heat them in use.  Second, this is almost unheard of.  Glaze is a frequent source of heavy metal poisoning when in contact with ceramic plates, bowls and mugs, esp with acidic food.  But we don't cook on the glazed (outside) part of the kamado.  You cook on the grid.  If that's stainless steel, it's loaded with chromium, by definition over 10%, very toxic, chromium is by the way.  Not a hexavalent form though, that would be really bad.  We eat and cook almost everything with stainless steel at some point.  That doesn't equate to chromium poisoning because of the matrix of SS.

Although I agree China is turning out many dangerous products, by virtue of the design, I would worry more about the PAH carcinogens in wood fire long before any highly unlikely heavy metals would contaminate food from a kamado ceramic structure.  Just my 0.02 cents.  And I used to test imported ceramics from China for food contamination back in the '80s.
    Options
    DMW said:
    stemc33 said:
    The Joe forum blows.
    But was the "Devastated" thread started then? That may impact current decision making.
    I almost told him not to look at that thread. But I told him how good of a resource y'all are. I figured if y'all joined here he would catch that thread or one with similar tomfoolery. Either way at one time he worked in the ER with me so should be good with whatever gets posted.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Sorry. I should be more concise. These ceramic grills made in China are made of clay and then fired. Using the term fire clay may or may not be appropriate. in regards to environmental pollution I think we can all agree that China leads the way. still not worth the risk. Go green
  • stemc33
    Options
    So does that mean the KJ doesn't use the same NASA material that BGE uses? 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Whirly said:
    Sorry. I should be more concise. These ceramic grills made in China are made of clay and then fired. Using the term fire clay may or may not be appropriate. in regards to environmental pollution I think we can all agree that China leads the way. still not worth the risk. Go green
    Consumer safety in Chinese manufacturing is almost completely unregulated.  If anything, it's regulated loosely through the foreign clients of subcontractors in China manufacturing for foreign companies, or in other cases, "after-the-fact" -- after a severe case of consumer remorse (IE death, usually).  The latter is dealt with severely by Chinese officials.

While I hope China evolves into a country that has more regulated consumer safety, I'm saddened by a movement in our country where candidates want to eliminate the EPA and job-killin' regulation at the expense of our product safety.   We don't really worry about eating poisonous broccoli when we shop our local whatever-mart.  But we should, and forces are at work to loosen our already loose oversight of what we consume.  But in all fairness, the clay in a kamado isn't going to contain volatile heavy metals.  Look around your house and throw away everything made in China.  Will there be anything left?  I hope so.
    Options
    Like others, I have a BGE (large) and a Kamado Joe (jr).
    Actually, i got impatient at waiting for the MiniMax and bought Joe jr.

I use both cookers regularly and think the world of both.
    Just go with what works best for you.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Let's face the fact here they went to China for cheap labor as BGE already got the cheap Mexican labor all locked up.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I would have bought the KJ jr while waiting for the MM, but I could find a dealer near me that had one. 
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Had a friend buy a KJ at Costco yesterday. Great deal a d came with a nest etc.... They all cook the same. No worries about warranty . It isn't going to break unless you cause it. One day the firebox may crack on you but I have cooked with cracked fireboxes for years. If you get a broken firebox just take a picture and send it in. They will send a new one. I have been egging for over 30 years and replaced one firebox just because I could. They all cook the same and if someone tells you otherwise he is just trying to make a sale. I would buy a KJ in a heartbeat. Your paying for the bge name. I don't own a KJ cause when I bought my third egg 15 years ago they were still the only player out there.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    QUOTE:  "All you do is contact main office by email and they ship to you at no charge. You don't have to search our a dealer that will help you."

And have you seen how FedEx, UPS, and USPS treat packages??  I'd rather have a dealer network where I get the one on one support and I can walk in and get my new part in less than 5 minutes. Otherwise, the replacement part might be in more parts than the original!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I haven't personally cooked on one, but a lot of respectable posters on this thread and threads alike have. The reasons to buy BGE over any other ceramic cooker seem moot aside from price. BGE IS the premium brand for ceramic cookers. 
    I think this is what it boils down to: 

Do you want to show up to the party in a Bentley or a in a Ford. 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Wait a minute; I may be late to the party, but Komado Joe is made in China? The BGE/KJ dealer near where I grew up has influenced a number of my friends to by KJs because they state "why buy a BGE made in Mexico when you can buy an American made KJ for around the same price". That kinda pisses me off now
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    As a BGE AND KJ owner I'm gonna have to reply to this thread soon but am working on something that "has" to be done and I won't be able to until tomorrow night..

More then!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I haven't personally cooked on one, but a lot of respectable posters on this thread and threads alike have. The reasons to buy BGE over any other ceramic cooker seem moot aside from price. BGE IS the premium brand for ceramic cookers. 

I have owned both...BGE has rested on it's laurels for far too long I'm afraid.

Folks can come up with justifications of BGE superiority due to Eggfests, perceived necessity of a larger dealer network, forum content, hecho-en-Mexico-Space-Shuttle-ceramic loyalty, or whatever they wish. Most, if not all of that logic is so subjective as to be unassailable. However, I must say with all honesty that the Big Joe on my patio is a far superior design and value to the more expensive LBGE that I sold off. I'm not referring to its increased size over the LBGE & XLBGE either...

The hinges are better (I got so sick of F'n with that stupid overbite), the gasket is better, the D&C grid is phenomenally better, including the accessories is better, ceramic mass is better, product development is better (love the pull out ash tray!).

I will give BGE a slight edge on fit and finish, It's appearance is a wee bit more polished.

The made in China from toxic waste arguement is similar to the "rice burner" stink eye treatment you can expect to receive if you were to ride in to Sturgis on a Goldwing. That is a much closer analogy to what we see here in my view.

Super Respected Poster can say whatever they want about my "second tier kamado" that just made last night's brisket...I know better.

Also, I come her now and see many more train wreck threads than I ever recall seeing when I first joined. It's a shame really.

Going back to biting my tongue now.

Gittin' there...
  • hondabbq
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I have owned both...BGE has rested on it's laurels for far too long I'm afraid.

Folks can come up with justifications of BGE superiority due to Eggfests, perceived necessity of a larger dealer network, forum content, hecho-en-Mexico-Space-Shuttle-ceramic loyalty, or whatever they wish. Most, if not all of that logic is so subjective as to be unassailable. However, I must say with all honesty that the Big Joe on my patio is a far superior design and value to the more expensive LBGE that I sold off. I'm not referring to its increased size over the LBGE & XLBGE either...

Your paragraph summed up my post as well. 

Why does anyone need a Patek Phillipe watch? My Movado tells me the time. 
    Why does anyone need a Ferrari? My GMC Sierra gets me to work. 

The KJ's and Akorns will do it up well. Just as good as an Egg. I'll even say that a Weber whatever will cook up a mean brisket or pork butt. By the same a UDS can do that too.

It is THE brand for Kamado cookers. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

I think this  I'm not referring to its increased size over the LBGE & XLBGE either...
    LBGE actually has more cooking area over the 18" KJ

The hinges are better(I got so sick of F'n with that stupid overbite),

They look the same and the hinge doesn't cause the misalignment...it's the positioning of the bands.

the gasket is better

How?   Replace it when it burns out just like the BGE

, the D&C grid is phenomenally better

Ill take the Adj Rig over that

including the accessories is better, ceramic mass is better,

what?  

product development is better (love the pull out ash tray!).

pullout tray looks gimmicky.  I would toss that and use an ash tool

Going back to biting my tongue now.

Thank you

It really comes down to price and preference.  No material advantage of either is my take.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Your paragraph summed up my post as well. 

Why does anyone need a Patek Phillipe watch? My Movado tells me the time. 
    Why does anyone need a Ferrari? My GMC Sierra gets me to work. 

The KJ's and Akorns will do it up well. Just as good as an Egg. I'll even say that a Weber whatever will cook up a mean brisket or pork butt. By the same a UDS can do that too.

It is THE brand for Kamado cookers. 
    Your comparison doesn't make any sense.

There's a HECK of a lot of difference between a Ferrari and a GMC Sierra.

There is little, if any difference between a BGE and a KJ - aside from the fact the KJ gives you more, is a better engineered product, etc.

Pretty much the only advantage to the BGE over the KJ is this forum, the dealer network (walk in and get a replacement part) and....that's about it.

I'll post more tomorrow on the many benefits of the KJ over the BGE (not enough time at the moment).

That said, there are times I wish I had bought a MBGE over my KJ Classic, but it has very little to do with actual performance between the two - unlike your Ferrari vs GMC Sierra example which makes absolutely no sense.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Can't wait to read it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SmokyBear
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually, I think I now "get" the GMC Sierra vs. Ferrari example..I guess the point is they both "do the job" of getting you down the road or to work.  But still not the best comparison IMHO..
  • stemc33
    Options
    C'mon everybody. The real reason people buy the egg is it's color. Something about green Kool-Aid sucks everybody in.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I thought the Primo brand cookers were the ones supposedly made in the USA. I honestly figure KJ and bge are comparable, but the egg has the better network. Heck I've got a medium Vision and it hols temp and turns out food as well as my two eggs BUT thats mostly due to this forum and what I've learned here. This forum has been worth the extra money the egg may cost, in my opinion. Not to mention, the aftermarket parts from CGS make the accessory argument moot for me. 

Little Rock, AR

• hondabbq
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    Actually, I think I now "get" the GMC Sierra vs. Ferrari example..I guess the point is they both "do the job" of getting you down the road or to work.  But still not the best comparison IMHO..

Im glad you "got" it. You are correct that the comparison I was making is that both vehicles do the exact same thing and that is to transport people on the roadways. They do have other uses, but the basics are the same.

You are ok with the Patek comparison?
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I thought the Primo brand cookers were the ones supposedly made in the USA. I honestly figure KJ and bge are comparable, but the egg has the better network. Heck I've got a medium Vision and it hols temp and turns out food as well as my two eggs BUT thats mostly due to this forum and what I've learned here. This forum has been worth the extra money the egg may cost, in my opinion. Not to mention, the aftermarket parts from CGS make the accessory argument moot for me. 
    I must have somehow bypassed the code you got from your BGE purchase to be able to join this site. Also many, though not all, of the CGS products fit the KJ.  A lot of the aftermarket products I have seen have a KJ counterpart for the most part.  I don't think that was true two years ago though.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    My friend has decided to go with BGE. Thanks everyone for the comments.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I must have somehow bypassed the code you got from your BGE purchase to be able to join this site. 

I'm
    kinda slow. I dont understand this part of your post. 

Little Rock, AR

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you cook on, if you still got hair on your wrist (Palm side), you're not cooking enough on your ceramic cooker and should have never bought one.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.