Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy cut... how much time

Options
I plan to have a nice 3+lbs. Cowboy cut this evening.  I plan to do a reverse seer on it.  If I roast it at 300-325 degrees to get to my target temperature, how long do you think it will take?  Also, what internal temperature should I be shooting for at the end of the roast to end up with a medium rare end result?
Thanks...
Kennebunk, Maine

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'd say the roasting will take about 20 to 30 minutes but you need to monitor temps as you roast it.  I'd pull at 110 and let it rest on a rack under tented foil.  Get the egg up to 600 and sear that puppy on all sides. Your Looking for a final temp around 130-135 after a final rest. Remember that the temp will increase while at rest, so I'd Make sure you pull it from the searing stage prior to 130. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Wow that is truly a thing of beauty.. Enjoy..I don't really work on time I just check internal with my Thermapen during the reverse and pull at about 100-110. Then do the sear and I shoot for a finish of 140-145 for medium rare..Once again enjoy..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Looks awesome. +1 on what @johnmitchell said. But I like searing first in cast iron on the side burner or on the stove. Then move to the egg for the roast on a cowboy cut. Seems like a larger margin of error, at least for me. My first reverse sear I over shot the temp by like 20 degrees and it was still good. With a cut like that I'm sure it will be awesome. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Nothing like a nice thick cowboy ribeye! I slow roast first at 250 degrees raised indirect to 115 IT. Takes about 25 minutes per pound (go by temp not time). Take off, rest under tent of foil while getting BGE to 500-550 for sear. Sear on CI grid on spider already hot for +/- 1 minute a side. Thats for rare/medium rare.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks.... I think I've got the plan.  Now I've got to think of sides.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you like true mid rare, I would not hit 140. Keep to 130-135. If you like it a tad over mid rare shoot for 140. Just my humble opinion. 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did one of these last week with a reverse sear. I cooked it at 250 and it took just under 45 min to get to an IT of 110, then pulled, jacked the heat up and seared for about a minute per side. 

Good luck! Here is some inspiration. 

Edit:  If you are still choosing sides you should think about caramelized onions. They were so good. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    I did one of these last week with a reverse sear. I cooked it at 250 and it took just under 45 min to get to an IT of 110, then pulled, jacked the heat up and seared for about a minute per side. 

Good luck! Here is some inspiration. 

Only a real pro remembers to foil the bone! Impressive effort. 
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Yup... that looks awesome. 
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    edumacate me - why foil the bone?
    Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Keeps it looking pristine. Otherwise it will look like charcoal. Vanity. 
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Keeps it looking pristine. Otherwise it will look like charcoal. Vanity. 
    I just want to make it look nice for all you fine folks.  =)