Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT....BGE vs Joe

Alright guys I need some help. I have a friend looking for a ceramic grill. He is trying to decide between BGE and Kamado Joe. Can anyone on here that has a Joe or has used a Joe give me any benefits for the Joe? Other than price and the fact it comes with accessories for the same money. Thanks.
Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited April 2015
    Is there anything left to prove?  ;)  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    I am a Joe and approve this message, the biggest pluses you have identified. I had a KJ and sold it to get BGE, the reason was no real dealer network compared to the BGE.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Thanks guys. Do they work as well as the BGE?
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2015
    I'd have zero issues with a KJ as a ceramic smoker.  Even the cheaper ceramic smokers you can find at Home Depot, Fleet Farm, Costco, etc. are probably just as good as the Big Green Egg cooking wise.  If I were start all over again and had to choose between the BGE and KJ I might end up with a KJ for my first ceramic grill.  Probably be a flip of the coin.  I believe the owners of KJ are past BGE employees 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Curious as to why you never see used KJ's for sale on CL ... BGE, quite often ... Joe's, almost never. Anyone else notice this?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2015
    SoCalTim said:
    Curious as to why you never see used KJ's for sale on CL ... BGE, quite often ... Joe's, almost never. Anyone else notice this?
    I would imagine Big Green Egg sells 10 eggs to every 1 Kamado Joe grill.  I'm guessing the reasoning why you see so many on Craigslist.  Big Green Egg has also been around a lot longer.  You're right about not seeing them very often used though .  You see more Primos than KJ

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    KJ is very appealing from a price comparision.

Personally I really like my BGE dealer.  No KJ dealers near me.  Also, if I am banking on a lifetime warranty I will go with the company who has been around the block a few times.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I am a Joe and approve this message, the biggest pluses you have identified. I had a KJ and sold it to get BGE, the reason was no real dealer network compared to the BGE.
    Why did you need a dealer network?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg

SoCalTim said:
    Like others have said. Just numbers sold.
    Never seen a Bently or Rolls in my local Craigs list either. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hunter1881
    Thanks for all the feedback. The Ace in our area is now a Joe dealer. That's what brought it up. My egg dealer has been great with me. That's a benefit to me. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

This at one time was especially true. However, as of late, the price is not much different at all in my area on the large egg and the JOE. With that said, the JOE Jr. is still considerably cheaper than the mini max. But even it has went up considerably since I purchased mine.  I own and use both brands. I think they are both great products. It comes down to personal choice and preference. Can't go wrong either way. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am a brand loyalist. When I find something I am happy with it I stick with it. Now that isn't to say I would NEVER try a KJ. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,938
    The Joe forum blows.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    If your freind has a joe dealer close by then he should look at them. If not I would stay clear only in case of a warranty issue were to arise. 

1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    If your freind has a joe dealer close by then he should look at them. If not I would stay clear only in case of a warranty issue were to arise. 

Warranty issue with Joe is different.
    All you do is contact main office by email and they ship to you at no charge. You don't have to search our a dealer that will help you.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    The Joe forum blows.
    Agree. Kinda slow.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    @photo egg I was unaware of Joe's warranty or how it works as there are no dealers around me that carry them. Thanks for the info.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Photo Egg said:
    Why did you need a dealer network?
    For warranty claims. I cracked my firebox some how. I called my dealer to ask him how to start the procedure for a new one.

I expected to have to bring in my broken 15lb. hunk of ceramic, wait for them to send it to BGE, and then for BGE to send a new one back.

He said: "take a picture of the crack and email it to me"

I used it the way it was, a week later he called and asked if I wanted to pick up my new piece or wait a day for him to deliver it.

That's why a dealer network is important.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    They will both cook more or less the same. For my customers it is a big deal to them that the Joe is made in China, where many parts of the Egg are made here (in WI) and the ceramic comes from Mexico. BGE does have a larger more active community and dealer network that has been around for  many years. Joe's community is obviously growing with age and will likely continue to grow.
  • Photo Egg
    SGH said:

This at one time was especially true. However, as of late, the price is not much different at all in my area on the large egg and the JOE. With that said, the JOE Jr. is still considerably cheaper than the mini max. But even it has went up considerably since I purchased mine.  I own and use both brands. I think they are both great products. It comes down to personal choice and preference. Can't go wrong either way. 
    Very true. Joe prices are climbing fast.
    Grabbed another Jr of eBay yesterday for 250.
    Brand new with all stuff. Only 10 minutes from my office.
    Get lucky sometimes. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    I'm a BGE fan but a goof ceramic cooker is all you need, regardless of the name. 
    McKinney, TX
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    For me, part of the reason I went with BGE is they are the ones driving this industry, this forum, the Eggfests, they contribute in a big way to my enjoyment of the Egg.  The low cost guys may have adequate Eggs, but there is more to it than just the Egg for me
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    KJ made in China from fireclay. Lead and cadmium possibilities. Not worth the risk. Green only choice. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Whirly said:
    KJ made in China from fireclay. Lead and cadmium possibilities. Not worth the risk. Green only choice. 
    Please refrain from stupidity.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    CincyTiki said:
    For me, part of the reason I went with BGE is they are the ones driving this industry, this forum, the Eggfests, they contribute in a big way to my enjoyment of the Egg.  The low cost guys may have adequate Eggs, but there is more to it than just the Egg for me
    Have you seen KJs accessories versus the ones BGE offers? Its pretty clear whose team uses their product.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Lit said:
    CincyTiki said:
    Have you seen KJs accessories versus the ones BGE offers? Its pretty clear whose team uses their product.
    @Lit yes, I have seen what comes with the Joe, but again, it's about more than just the Egg to me, I don't see Vision, Kamado Joe or others running fests around the country or well functioning forums.  I am not disparaging their products, I am saying I find I get something of value above and beyond just the Egg from BGE and I find that worth supporting.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Hunter1881

We have one. And he went by. But if I understood correctly they have to order them. They only had a floor model. Which to me says a lot. When we have two BGE dealers in town. 
  • I was researching KJ and read some warranty issues and backordered supply issues. That would worry me if I didnt have a good reputable dealer nearby. Especially since the prices have slowly started to even outvwith each other. If I gotca great deal I'd by a KJ but it would HAVE to be a significantly better deal ( like my medium vision for 200.00)

Little Rock, AR

• Hunter1881
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I linked him this site and particularly this thread. My guess is we will soon have another egghead. But I have been wrong before. 
  • Photo Egg
    CincyTiki said:
    Lit said:
    CincyTiki said:
    @Lit yes, I have seen what comes with the Joe, but again, it's about more than just the Egg to me, I don't see Vision, Kamado Joe or others running fests around the country or well functioning forums.  I am not disparaging their products, I am saying I find I get something of value above and beyond just the Egg from BGE and I find that worth supporting.
    So if you cook on a red grill you can't view and participate on the forum or go to an Eggfest?
    Remember, they are all just grills and everyone is welcome here and at Eggfests.
    Even people who cook on Webers.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas