Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure cooker / egg

Options
McStew
McStew Posts: 965
I received a pressure cooker as a gift and was wondering if anyone has any good recipes they are willing to share or any good books to purchase?  I have the beef bookmarked from St. Patty's Day from awhile back that I will be trying very shortly because it looked so good but if anyone has anything else that would be great 
Thanks again 
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    McStew said:
    I received a pressure cooker as a gift and was wondering if anyone has any good recipes they are willing to share or any good books to purchase?  I have the beef bookmarked from St. Patty's Day from awhile back that I will be trying very shortly because it looked so good but if anyone has anything else that would be great 
    Thanks again 
    Didn't it come with some recipe book? I haven't ever used mine on my egg and would be scared to to be honest! There are also numerous pc recipes on the net.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Here’s one you might not see as it is Canadian:
    https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/beef_roasts_pork_lamb_recipes_pressure_cookers.htm
    @RRP - you might like it as well.
    Extracting beef/chicken/turkey for broth is excellent. MCAH (Modernist Cuisine At Home) has a number of recipes using a pressure cooker. Like all cooking tools, it has its place - I would not even think about using it on an egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Just the title of your post sent a shiver down my spine..Good luck, and if you gonna close the dome maybe wire it shut and double tighten all the bolts.. ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • McStew
    Options
    RRP said:
    McStew said:
    Thanks again 
    Didn't it come with some recipe book? I haven't ever used mine on my egg and would be scared to to be honest! There are also numerous pc recipes on the net.
    RRP there is no way i would ever use it on the egg HAHAHA Im worried about just using it in the house yet alone on the egg.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Just the title of your post sent a shiver down my spine..Good luck, and if you gonna close the dome maybe wire it shut and double tighten all the bolts.. ;)
    Wonder what altitude the DFMT will get when that puppy explodes? :)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • McStew
    Options

Wonder what altitude the DFMT will get when that puppy explodes? :)
    yah I would have to agree if you put the pressure cooker on the egg you would be just plain stupid / or just a thrill seeker 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    I cant find the cook I saw here but the gentleman smoked it on the egg for two hours then finished it in the pressure cooker.  It was around St. Patty's day  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    America's Test Kitchen has a pressure cooker book.  Their stuff is usually pretty reliable.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I remember both my mother and grandmother cooking on pressure cookers several times a week.  Being in the grandchild pool, I hated when it was my day to clean that thing!!!!  Always sounded cool steaming away!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• McStew
    Options
    @RRP no recipe book was included with the one I got.  This one is built like a
    Tank.  I think it is a professional version so they assume you know how to use it. 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    McStew said:
    RRP said:
    McStew said:
    Thanks again 
    RRP there is no way i would ever use it on the egg HAHAHA Im worried about just using it in the house yet alone on the egg.  
    I was wondering how he got there...had to go back and read your original post.  Too funny!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Damn...That is a beast..Nice..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    McStew said:
    Thanks again 
    I have cooked a few things in my pressure cooker, but i actually use it mostly for home canning which I do several times a year.  i like to pressure can my homemade broths/stock.  I also home can my homemade marinara sauce.  I tried canning a meat sauce once but didn't like the resulting texture of the meat, so I can a vegetable marinara and then when I go to make spaghetti, I brown up the beef or pork fresh, and then add the marinara sauce from the can and some olive oil.  2nd most frequent use is I like to finish my Pastrami in the pressure cooker.  You can also use it to greatly speed up the process of cooking raw dry beans.  Once, for sake of time, I cooked up some short ribs in the pressure cooker and then sauced them and used the Egg to glaze the sauce and put some bark on the outside.  Instead of hours of low'n'slow to render the fat and make fall off the bone moist & tender, 45 minutes in the pressure cooker and 30 minutes on the BGE and they were scrumpdilicious.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• McStew
    Options
    Acn said:
    America's Test Kitchen has a pressure cooker book.  Their stuff is usually pretty reliable.
    Thanks I will check this book out 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think this is what you are looking for for the pastrami:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Similar to what @Zmokin mentioned- you are smoking it on the egg and then finishing it off in the PC. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    It looks very similar to my pressure cooker.  I would guess the make is - All American.  That's a fantastic pressure cooker.  Made in Wisconsin.  It's also nice that it's gasketless. No future worries on replacing any dried out cracked gasket.  Mine didn't come with any instructions.  I learned online.  I also watched All American pressure cooker videos on YouTube.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Looks like a pressure vessel for canning to me. Mine isn't quite so fancy and have never used it for anything other than canning my garden produce. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I made a pressure cooker still back in college with my little brother.  My mom wasn't too happy about the hole I drilled in her pressure cooker.  Looked very similar.

We made about 5 liters of moonshine from a mash of sugar and any carbohydrate source we could find around the house.

We triple distilled it, and made a drink.  My brother took the first sip and instantly (I mean within 30 seconds) puked.

I talked to one of my cooler chemistry professors (this was before the internet) and he said we need to clean up the fusel oils.  Charcoal and aging work well.

So we put some wood in the oven and smoked up the house, my mom not happy once again.  Made charcoal and dumped it into the bottles, let it age a few months.  It developed an amber color and smelled terrific.

We drank some of it, but we didn't feel good about it after the puking incident, so it mostly ended up being used as a cleaning solvent.
    Options
    @WeberWho? yes it is an All American I will check out the you tube feeds thanks
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That type of pressure cooker is more like a pressure canner.  Sure you can cook food in it but where it would be most used (because of the bulk of it) is canning.  You can do regular canning and canning low acid foods like meat.

I got an electric pressure cooker for my birthday that I am loving.  It is an Instant Pot http://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429798486&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+pot+ip-duo60+7-in-1  and so far has made great soup stocks, soups, Chinese bbq pork, steamed lobster tail, and so on...

I'm enjoying recipes/time charts from these websites:
    www.hippressurecooking.com
    www.fastcooking.ca

I am anxious to try various curries and Indian food in it since I have found lots of recipes for making dahl and various curries with it.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    www.chefsteps.com has some great pressure cooker ideas (along with a lot of other cool stuff).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Have made this many times, Carnitas in less than an hour.
    http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/pressure-cooked-carnitas/

Edina, MN

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
     It's also nice that it's gasketless. No future worries on replacing any dried out cracked gasket. 
    My gasket is > 30 years old and is still in good condition, not perfect, but it doesn't appear to be near failure.  I know it won't last forever, but I think it might last until I die.  I'm not worried.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.