Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lifting

Options
how does a guy lift an xl egg to install the legs or nest. I'm in rural Wyoming and don't have many options. Thank you

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Your gonna need 2-3 strong guys.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I have an XL and had to do it myself as well.  Build the nest, then assemble the egg in the nest.  The heaviest piece is the bottom section of the egg, but the dome and all the interior pieces are removable.  It's heavy, but not
    outrageous.  You can do it!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    This is what I did...  I got a couple of the neighborhood kids who happened to be football linemen to come and do the heavy work.  Work smarter, not harder is my motto.  Plus, they'll do anything for some ribs and pizza!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This is what I did...  I got a couple of the neighborhood kids who happened to be football linemen to come and do the heavy work.  Work smarter, not harder is my motto.  Plus, they'll do anything for some ribs and pizza!
    same thing here - did this when my boys were playing football, got some of the linemen to do this and help move the egg down some stairs, etc.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have two larges, and I moved them into a single table. One was in a nest and the other was in a small table. 

I took everything out, but left the domes on. I had a few guys come over and help me. If I had to do an XL alone I would definitely take the dome off.

Be careful and don't hurt yourself or your egg!  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I was going to say, if you can't get some help with an offer of Ribs, then there is a serious problem.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pot lifter and two people or Hafthór 'Thor' Björnsson

Options
    I just finished putting my XL together a few minutes ago. I set the bottom onto the nest myself. It was a little awkward, but not overly heavy. I even managed to center it first lift.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Find some help. Not worth the risk ( not to mention we dont need yet ANOTHER " devistatted" thread). 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    + a gibazillion
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was lucky, My dealer like to assemble the Egg and deliver it if you are close enough.  This way they know it was done right and there won't be any issues with the warranty.  Just be glad is not the XXL you are trying to put together by yourself. =)  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Hell I even had my dealer deliver the mini max to the house assembled. lol.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    As many eggs as you've bought your dealer shoukd probably come out once a week to clean out the ash and wipe down your eggs. 

Little Rock, AR