Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

opinions on mini max

Options
hello eggheads I just found out about the minimax this past Saturday and just wanted some opinions weather you guys like or dislike and why and how does it cook. I have a large but may consider buying this baby depending on your opinions. 

As always, I love you guys and gals. And I will cook for no reason.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We like ours. It has enough room for some decent sized meals or to assist in sides or apps during a larger cook. We take ours to the beach, park or wherever. Cooks on it have proven successful. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Thanks for your response NP Husker.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

As always, I love you guys and gals. And I will cook for no reason.
    First let me say that the love is returned in kind my friend. And like yourself, I will cook just for the heck of it. Now on to the MM. It's a great rig. If you are looking for a egg to compliment your large, then the MM is a excellent choice. From the sheer stand point of portability, the mini wins. However the MM is more portable than all the other eggs save for the mini. I have both the mini and the MM. If I had to chose only one it would probably be my mini due to its rapid rise to 800+ degrees for searing. I can hit these temps at will usually in around 10 minutes, give or take a little. Both are winners in my book. If you want a little more capacity than the mini while still being fairly easy to transport, then the MM is for you.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sirlancealot
    Options
    I noticed it has the same diameter of the small egg. Just a mini version of it.
    I also have to check the price of them. They probably cost almost as much as a small.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I also have to check the price of them. They probably cost almost as much as a small.
    They cost more than the small in my neck of the woods.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sirlancealot
    Options
    Thanks for the comparison reply SGH. I definately will take that
    To heart.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I want a Mini Max
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I have a large and a MM. I use the MM for almost everything that will fit into it. Great for everything. Sometimes if I am cooking on the large I find something to cook on MM just to fire him up. Traveled to a buddies house with it. It is 75# so a lot for some people to carry. We just got a MM for my Dad. Go for it, you'll love it.

• sirlancealot
    Options
    Thanks mtbguy, I was wondering how much that baby weighed. That's not light to be so small.
    They have one at Simpsons Hardware in sumter, sc where I live. I just have to get over there to check it out. I think they are charging about $320.00 if I'm not mistaken. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    sirlancealot ... If I'm not mistaken, the MM runs closer to $600 dollars. The Mini runs $399 .. On a good day, the Mini can be had for $275 on CL.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    SoCalTim, the mm doesn't cost that much where I live nor does the mini.
    I will double check in the morning and repost the cost of both mini and
    The mm. You got me curious now. Maybe the cost of inflation got you guys paying more in California. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey brother, now you got me curious. Please check and report back please.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    $320 I could use another one. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would definitely check the prices and compare with other sizes.  I think it is priced similar to a medium.  If you don't think you need the portability, I would go with a medium for a similar price.  I personally think the MM is way over priced. They basically took a small, cut off the bottom 30%, then raised the price 30%.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    If you can get the small cheaper than the MM it's a no brainer.  The small will hold more lump and has a greater distance from the fire bowl and the grate.  The MM is slightly lighter then the small if you're looking for portability.  I have a mini and it's used the least out of my eggs.  Just not enough real-estate for the average cook.  I really like my small eggs. They compliment my large egg nicely and still big enough for most cooks     
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I like mine.  Weight is not so much the problem, it is the awkward position of the hinges/handle.  When you hold it, the hinge or handle will lean on you.  Much easier to move if you are two.

Some have reported that it takes long to come up to temp.  I do not have this problem and I have no idea what could be the cause.

Some have mentioned that the fire ring does not fit as nicely the firebowl than the other eggs.  I am a bit OCD and it did not bother me.

It has a decent cooking area, it is good for just the two of us or when cooking sides at a different temp than the main course.

If you decide to get the plate setter, you will need to know that it is really close to the cooking grid (less than 3/4 inch).  So the only drip pan that I was able to fit is a pizza pan that will not contain a lot of drippings. 

Options
    I have both and you can't go wrong with your pick. Buy a Woo no matter which one you get. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I have both and you can't go wrong with your pick. Buy a Woo no matter which one you get. 
    Same camp, this.
    Seattle, WA
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I don't have a mini, so I can't comment on them.  All I know is I wanted one something fierce, then the MM came out.  I have a Large and MM, and for me it's the perfect set up.  I travel for work often, and load the MM in my truck when I'm out of town.  It is a little cumbersome, but not terrible.  Definitely easier with two people. It also has been getting a brunt of the work for regular week night meals.  Again, it's a "to each their own scenario", but when it comes to price, I say take the MM for what it's worth.  You are paying a little more for the convenience of a small with portability.  But where it wins in my book is it comes with a great nest/carrier.  I looked into a small with a carrier, and that would have easily added $100+ to the entire purchase price. 

I find the MM comes up to temp super fast, and I've held 235 for 12 hours, but there is a bit of a learning curve because the setting are a little different than my Large.  But once I got it figured out, cooks have gone great.  I added the CGS PS Woo with stone and haven't looked back.  Just being able to raise it as well as it does makes this little guy more versatile. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Mickey said:
    Same camp, this.

What is a Woo?
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Greeno55
    Options
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Greeno55
    Options
    For anyone who owns an Egg, the stuff Tom makes at CGS takes the experience to an entire new level.  Very seldom do I cook on either vessel without the Woo in the MM, or the Adjustable Rig in some variation in the Large.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SoCalTim, the mm doesn't cost that much where I live nor does the mini.
    I will double check in the morning and repost the cost of both mini and
    The mm. You got me curious now. Maybe the cost of inflation got you guys paying more in California.

@sirlancealot, I of course don't know where you live, but in KC the MM is going for about $649 with the PS and the small with that same set up is about $80 less.  The small weighs less, but the MM should be easier to move around if that's what you want it for.  I wanted the Mini, MM or the Small to compliment my XL, to do quick cooks during the week, but SWMBO said no, so I settled for a $200 knock off of the Egg called the Kahuna.  It's ok and doesn't take much lump and gets to 400 in about half the time of the XL.  It's grid is 12.5" which puts it between the Mini and the MM.  The Kahuna is fine for 3 people, but you have 4 or 5 to feed during the week I would go with the MM  or the Small if you can afford it.  Hive you can get the MM for $320, get it.  That's a steal.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My guess is for $320 that is probably a mini, not a mini-max.  If it is a mini-max for $320 I would buy it in a heartbeat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    All the cool kids have Mini Max's. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The "affordability" is not always the most important part. Have both and was going to sell my Mini/Catren combo. After finding out I can't lift the MM by myself and finding the MM will not sit in the bed of my Tacoma with the flat lid closed like the Mini I kept the Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Note to owner of cool looking metal band stand for the Mini. I would not use that. Have seen several cut in half by that kind if stand. Now if the metal around the Mini is not binding: never mind. 

• Mickey
    Options
    At the Salado EggFest we were selling the Mini with nest for $300 new. The MM was $499 but couldn't get any except the two we gave away. Now they have them in Salado for $599. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Note to owner of cool looking metal band stand for the Mini. I would not use that. Have seen several cut in half by that kind if stand. Now if the metal around the Mini is not binding: never mind. 
    If you are referring to my pics @Mickey, that is a concern to me, but that is what it came with.  I hope to be building my outdoor kitchen this summer and maybe getting rid of that, but if it brakes its a reason to sell the wife on a MM or Small.  =)
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.