Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My next egg?

Options
After reading Franklin's book, I decided I needed a big offset smoker. Thankfully, that feeling passed after about 24 hours. 

I love my large. I get rave reviews for everything I make.  Particular favorites are brisket, pastrami and cold smoked salmon.

I love the fact I can get it dialed in and then just wait, comfortable, knowing the egg will maintain whatever temp I want. The idea of staying up all night with an offset was just too much.

So, the question is, what size do I want for my next egg? 

Large has been perfect for cooking for 1-2 families. That happens regularly.  

Am I better off getting a small or medium because most of the time I'm cooking for one family, or am I better off getting another large or xl for the times I'm cooking for a larger group? 

My birthday is coming up, and I think I'll throw myself a party, invite a bunch of friends and I'll cook a BUNCH of food for everyone. 

Any ideas? 

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I have a large and my next one will be a large also. The reason for this is that I will be able to share accessories between the two. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I have a big capacity smoker that I spend $3kplus on, it hasn't been fired in 3 years.  It looks nice, but the Eggs carry the work load for me.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I'd suggest the XL it has extra capacity and coupled with your large you could turn out enough food for a small army.  The idea of sharing accessories is nice but if your running both eggs for the same style cook then you need to double up on some the the accessories anyway. I have the XL and we did about 40 lbs of pork on the main great with no issues. my next egg is going to be smaller just because my daughter (age 6) wants one her size.   She's a BBQ pit master in training, loves the all night cooks we've done on our offset and UDS. Best of luck on your next purchase....   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I say buy the largest toucan afford
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Hmmm. 
    Nice dilemma to have, which new egg to buy.... I would be very tempted to buy a smaller one to complement a large, depending on how often you really need the grill space of an XL + Large. A Mini + Large is pretty good capacity, and the price difference can be spent on A/Rs or Woos or Spiders, etc. to give you more total cooking area when you're having company.

Then there's the added bonus of being able to take the Mini on vacations, ball games, grandmas, etc. I'm spoiled, and it's a drag to be visiting somewhere and have to use a "normal" grill again. They just seem so... inferior.

I cook for three 90% of the time - and if I were going to buy another egg, it would definitely be a smaller one. I had no problem feeding a dozen at a backyard party using only my Large, food just hit the table in batches instead of all at once.

I think it makes more sense to go smaller for a second egg.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have a family of five and my medium gets to carry the load most of the time. I'm a huge fan of a large & medium combo. You can turn out plenty of food for a large group and the medium uses a lot less lump for those small/quick weeknight cooks. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @mrw123 look at the meat monster internal firebox if you think you need a large smoker. They are made by peoria custom cookers in peoria Illinois.  They are just as easy as a egg as they come with a guru so just set it and forget it. Be forwarded they start at like 8K. But there are options. By the time I was done Ihave just shy of 11k into mine but ddon't regret the purchase one bit.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Get the medium. It heats up so fast you'll want to cook every day on it. It's a lump miser too. 
  • BamaFanInArky
    BamaFanInArky Posts: 30
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I enjoy my mini.  
    I've carried it to the front driveway several times to grill and watch the kiddos.   I even used it on the edge of my garage so we could watch the rain

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Have you cooked on any of the other kamados? KJ or Primo maybe? (not talking about the Akorns, Brownings, etc...)
    Love my MBGE but there is a whole world of options out there, including your thinking about an offset. Hell, I still find a use for my kettle and gasser. 
    It is like the guy that has driven the same brand of pick-up for 25 years, he may be an expert on the pros and cons of that brand, but he is not in any position to give you a knowledgable comparison of other brands. 
    Lately I’ve been thinking about turning to the dark side of the force and getting serious about a Primo oval. Have had some experience with them, they cook just like a BGE and they have some nice options. Rant over. 

Many have two LBGE - it is small enough to work for a family and two of them can cook for three families. You also get to use many of the accessories interchangeably. Good luck with whatever you decide. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I can't tell you what size to get for your 2nd egg.  Only you know what you tend to do most often and what will meet your needs.  For me, my large meets my needs, so my 2nd egg when I get one will be a medium, but it will be located over an hour drive away at my summer cabin.  So at each residence, I will be a single egg cooker.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Thinking of getting something just not sure love my large just so mm any choices and little extra cash
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options

Thanks for all the advice! 

When I bought my large, I first talked myself out of the xl. I think that was a mistake. It seems like more real estate is always better.

For my second, I definitely don't want to go too small. There is no chance I'll be transporting it (sounds like fun, but it'd never happen for me).  Medium sounds great because it uses less lump and heats up faster, another large sounds great because I can share accessories and XL sounds great because it's XL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I'd suggest the XL it has extra capacity and coupled with your large you could turn out enough food for a small army.  The idea of sharing accessories is nice but if your running both eggs for the same style cook then you need to double up on some the the accessories anyway. I have the XL and we did about 40 lbs of pork on the main great with no issues. my next egg is going to be smaller just because my daughter (age 6) wants one her size.   She's a BBQ pit master in training, loves the all night cooks we've done on our offset and UDS. Best of luck on your next purchase....   

I agree with @ryantt.  I have an XL and I have done of 60 pounds on it for my brothers 60th, but I had to do it in two cooks.  Now I could have borrowed back my WSM to do it all in one, but I like how it is easier to work with the Egg then the WSM.  With the XL I did a 18 pound brisket and 2-9 pound pork butts in one cook and then 7 slabs of ribs and 7 pound of sausage on the other cook.  With a large and XL I could have done it all in one shot.  

By the way @ryantt, how did you get your 6 year old interested?  My 6 year old son isn't that interested.  I keep trying to show him, but he doesn't care.  He also complains when he feel it is taking to long for dinner to be ready.  He would be happy eating MD's Happy Meals for dinner every night or pizza.  He likes it when it is done, but just can't wait.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Ladeback69We started when my daughter was very young, as cooking is a family affair in our home.  She started by helping make rub and it just naturally progressed. Her first cook was chicken.  She felt proud that she made it.  Now she's done a few overnight cooks and talks about it all the time.  Most Saturday's she gets up when I come home from work 5-530 and wants to start the pork butt process.  We crack open a bottle of IBC root beer for her and something different for me....it's just time to talk bond and have fun. Give it time maybe let him help by topping a pizza or making some rub.    Something fast and easy to spark his interest.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    We love our Large/small combo. I got the small because during the week it is generally just 2 adults and a 6 year old. Heats up super quick and uses less lump. This was a great choice for us, your needs may differ so good luck, have fun
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I enjoy my mini.  
    I've carried it to the front driveway several times to grill and watch the kiddos.   I even used it on the edge of my garage so we could watch the rain
    Is that the mini or the mini max there?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    I also love our Large/small combo. The small is ready to go in 10 minutes and is used during the week for my family of 4
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    I like our Large/Small combo
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I really like my medium.  My XL is reserved for large weekend cooks, the medium gets the brunt of weeknight cooks.  Comes to temp quick, very easy to control, and I'm pretty sure it actually makes lump.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    As I have said before, I have a Kamado Joe Jr to go with my Large BGE.  I like the portability, it is about 15 pounds or so less than the Mini Max, but also has the 13 inch cooking grid.
    Also, I bought the red one, so every day looks like Christmas out on my deck! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • mrw123
    Options

I went to my local dealer this weekend with my 8 year old. He saw the mini and declared it was perfect for him. Boy am I tempted!

I spent some time looking at the XL and I have a question. The hardware (lid hinge and springs) seemed a little under sized for the weight of the lid. There was a lot more wiggle when opening and closing than I expected. Anyone have any problems with their XL? I haven't heard of any, but now I'm curious.

I also spent some time online looking at the pitmaker 'safe'. That'd be a hefty jump in price, but I'm firmly in the 'buy once cry once' category. I'd rather do it right the first time. Anyone have any experience with the 'safe?'

Thanks

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    mrw123 said:

I went to my local dealer this weekend with my 8 year old. He saw the mini and declared it was perfect for him. Boy am I tempted!

I spent some time looking at the XL and I have a question. The hardware (lid hinge and springs) seemed a little under sized for the weight of the lid. There was a lot more wiggle when opening and closing than I expected. Anyone have any problems with their XL? I haven't heard of any, but now I'm curious.

I also spent some time online looking at the pitmaker 'safe'. That'd be a hefty jump in price, but I'm firmly in the 'buy once cry once' category. I'd rather do it right the first time. Anyone have any experience with the 'safe?'

Thanks

@mrw123,  I have had an XL for a little over a year now and heaven't noticed any troubles with opening mine up or it wiggling.  Maybe demo needs a little tightening up.  I love mine and cooked a lot on it,

What are your plans for the Pitmaker "Safe"?  I don't know anything about them other then  it looks like you will need a water source to help with the cooking process.  I all about simplicity and having to need water is not something I would want. IMO.  There are other stick burners out there you can get like, Lane, Stumps or Good One.  @SGH is a good person to talk too about this.  He has a few.  I personally would like the Good One "Marshal".  Its about the same price, but doesn't need water to cook with.  They are made about an hour from where I live.

http://thegood-one.com/the-marshall/

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mrw123
    Options
    @mrw123,  I have had an XL for a little over a year now and heaven't noticed any troubles with opening mine up or it wiggling.  Maybe demo needs a little tightening up.  I love mine and cooked a lot on it,

I think you are right--probably just a poorly put together demo.

The thought behind the 'safe' is just more capacity.  (They look GREAT too)  

The more I think about this, the more I think I want another egg though.  As of right now, I'm thinking an XL for the times I want to do a big cook, my existing large to be the workhorse, and I think I may have to get the mini so my 8 year old can cook with me.  I just love that idea.

Now, to discuss all this with the purchasing manager.....

Thanks again for all the advice.