Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you all

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got the fire up my new egg this weekend, I cooked some bbq ribs, a spatchcock chicken, and the Ginger,lime Chicken skewers. Thanks for the great info and all the help you all offered, I don't see any reason to fire up the natural gas weber in the near future, all the food was awesome.[p]I did notice one thing and could use your assistance again. When I was heating up my egg on the cooks (guru attatched), the egg actually leaked smoke back by the springs. The egg I purchased was put together so I didn't actually assemble any of it. Is this normal or is there something I can do stop the leaks. I'm afraid it may effect my long low and slow cooks..[p]Thanks [p]Scoto

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Scoto,

Yes you can adjust the lid, loosen the nuts on the bands, and push it together where your getting the leakes. I had to do that to mine as well.

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Scoto,[p]
    I would say it depends on how big of a leak you are having. The Guru is forcing a lot of air into the egg. Does it leak when the fan is not spinning? I would say a bit of leakage while the fan is on is not too much to to worry about. Do you see smoke back there when you are doing non GURU cooks?[p]JNK

• Dixie_Flyer
    Options
    Scoto,[p]what size egg to you use? I heard there were some problems with the XL egg leaking some smoke by the hinge, and they came out with a new type of hinge to fix the problem
  • Scoto,
    What size fan did you get with your Guru? I have the 10cfm fan and I only open the damper 1/4 of the way. As someone posted previous the guru does force alot of air in. Your leak could be a lousy fit between the dome and bottom or you may have the damper opened to much.

• Guess I could of given you guys a bit more info..hah.[p]I have a Large Egg, my Guru is the 10cfm fan and the damper was set to half open. I do only notice the leaks when the Guru is running, trying to get to cooking temp. Once it levels out, I don't notice any smoke.[p]I did cook lastnight with no guru and no I didn't notice any leakage, but I didn't use any smoking wood either.[p]