Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini or mini max?

Options
mostly cooking for just the two of us now. We have a large, but thinking of getting a smaller one...any thoughts?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have had two Mini's at the same time (really like them). Now have both Mini and Mini-Max. Was going to sell the Mini when I got the MM but two real problems piped up. First: the weight is way more on the MM than I expected. Second: the height of the MM would not set in my Tacoma with the fiberglass flat lid closing like the Mini in the Carten would. So just get the one that fits best. Will keep both now (and the two Larges) for two of us. (and the two
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    The mini is the a great addition to a large. That is the setup I have and zero regrets whatsoever.  Holds plenty more than people think
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jillian737
    Options
    Thank you...I'm thinking of leaning toward the mini, I think it will suffice and quite a bit cheaper I think. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recently spent some time with Mom cooking many meals for the two of us on my Mini. Couple of times, my bro and SIL showed up and I was able to feed all four of us.

I have heard many guys talk about how heavy the MM is and apparently, it's not as portable as folks expected. I've never even seen one though. Mickey's comments and that one side by side pic are telling.

Since you already have a Large for the larger cooks, I would think the Mini would be a better choice for you than the MM. Easily portable for one person and plenty of grid space to cook protein for two people. Until yesterday, I hadn't used my Large since before Christmas... Mini only. Last night, I spatched a chicken and while I think I could have gotten it on the Mini, I think it would have been too tight for decent airflow so I used the large. Good combo.

Couple of chicken quarters will fit. I cooked four thighs and one small breast a couple of weeks ago, 3-4 burgers, a couple of steaks, maybe three (not sure about four).

Check out Leroy's "magic mini moments", a series of  slideshows on youtube. Eight, I think. Tons of ideas. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LG & MM here. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I vote mini - here's a whole rack of baby backs I did recently.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Mini Max as long as you're not moving it around all the time.
    Seattle, WA
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    @SoCalTim did those ribs turn out as good as laid flat?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    I have a Mini and a "Large" (err..KJ Classic - same size as LBGE).  I love the Mini but find the 10'' grid a bit small at times (like, fitting two monster stuffed pork chops on - they "just" fit.  Ditto chicken legs - I can do 6, but that's about it).

You really don't get a lot of room on a 10'' grid to move things around, so moving from super hot places to cooler - well, there aren't any on that small of a grid. 

On the plus side, the Mini uses VERY little lump, comes up to speed super quick (under 10 min easily) and can go to nuke temps.

I love my Mini and HAD wanted to trade it in for a MM until I heard the MM takes a lot longer to come to temp (for some), doesn't get as hot (ditto) and has tradeoffs for those few extra inches of grid space.  Plus, not sure I can fit the MM in the cutout spot I have the Mini in on my custom SS table..(the theory if you haven't heard it yet is that the MM has the same size door vent as the small, and does not get enough airflow - like the small.  So, why they didn't put a bigger draft door in is anyone's guess as that would have been a killer kamado).

What I probably "should" do is sell my KJ, buy a Medium - and the combo of the Medium + the Mini would be "perfect" for our use.  But I have way too much $$s invested in the KJ that I'd never get, and not sure the Medium would be big enough for us so will probably wind up with the config that we have today and just whine about it from time to time.. :)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    @SoCalTim did those ribs turn out as good as laid flat?
    Absolutely no difference. They were awesome!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Shoot get them both. Easy for me to spend your money ain't it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Vote for mini too. MM has more real estate obviously but for the price and weight, I prefer mini especially if portability is a big factor for you.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    It's a tough call. I went mini max for the extra area. I love it. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    I went MiniMax and really like it
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I have the mm. Love it and it is portable, albeit a little clumsy, but portable if your able bodied.  That said, next time I run across a used mini I'm buying it.  
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ironegg140.6
    Options

I'm interested in buying a mini. If you want to sell and the price is right I'm all in. It'd have to be shipped to KC Missouri