Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey fail

Options
Found a 11 pound turkey that had been in the freezer for a while. SWMBO said let's try it on the egg. Hadn't done one yet. So why not. Thawed it and then brined it for about 6 hours.Even chilled the breast with ice hoping to get an even cook. Settled the egg in at 275 indirect. Had the bird in a rack with AF pan underneath for the drippings. Basted it though the cook. Long and short of it, the breast cooked quicker than the drumsticks. Now with the breast getting close to being over done, we pulled the bird. Drums weren't done enough. Took some of the breast meat off for supper, the rest of the bird went south. The breast was tough even though we brined it. Probably had been in the freezer to long.
Question, should I have cooked at a higher temperature?? Any suggestions?
We won't be trying that again for a while, SWMBO was really turned off by the flavour. I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan either. She cooks an AWSOME bird in the big stainless steel clock in the kitchen. We always love that.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I butterfly my turkeys and place the legs towards the hinge at the back.

I also cook around 300 to 350 and very mild smoke.  One fist size piece of cherry.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great topic. I have not tried one yet, but want to do it for the holidays.
    I always deep fry mine, and it comes out awesome every time. I wanted try something new. Now that I got egg fever.......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    We wanted to try one for ourselves without guests, and boy are we glad we stuck to that plan :)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Don't give up! Mine have been off the charts. Brining has nothing to do with tenderness. You had a bad bird. I cook at 325 with mild smoke. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options

spatchcock and raised direct at 400. Takes only around 7 min/lb this way and dark meat comes up to temp almost exactly the same time as the white. no ice needed.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    The worst turkey I've cooked was undercooked - it was tough, moist but tough and not pink or translucent or any obvious signs of being undercooked.  I had become so concerned with overcooking that I pulled too early, I probably didn't probe temp in enough places of the breast.  Overcooked to me isn't nearly as tough, it's just dry.  Any chance this is what happened to you, maybe just slightly undercooked?
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I cook turkey at 350 indirect. I brine first I also like to inject the beast with butter.
    I will be the fist to admit I do not like turkey at all so I always think they sick but the family seems to enjoy it at the holodays.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I did a thanksgiving turkey based on recipe used in the oven.  14 # fresh bird, brined overnight although probably not necessary.  Compound Sage butter under the skin, same butter with s & p on the skin. I stuffed the bird with some onion quarters, halved garlic head, quartered orange, and herbs after liberal s &up. Iced the breasts for 20 min. Put it on  indirect 375 with rack in a drip pan with turkey stock and onions. Don't know if that was necessary but it was the best turkey we've ever had!! Everything to proper temp on time. SWMBO gave great kudos. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No expert, but to me the temp seemed low. Using Mad Max recipe target is around 325ºF. Icing the breasts with gel packs seemed to work, but it was easier to just cook the bird breast side down. (discovered this when some Taiwanese friends cooked their first turkey, they had excellent results)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dont know why but when i cook birds lower than 250 they are tender and juicy overcooked, birds cooked 325 and higher i shoot for about 160 internal and let the temps rise for half an hour uncovered on the table. you didnt mention internal temps and those popout gages never seem to work in an egged bird
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You may want to try the Mad Max method. Don't see it mentioned on here much any more, though I'm sure plenty of folks still use it. If you search the forum for mad max turkey, you will find 50 pages of results!

Max's looks like this..

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Little Steven's Invertabird works very well to even the cooking, just be sure you have enough room under the dome to do it. I haven't tried spatchcocking a turkey as of yet but suspect that would also even things out.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

That bird picture is outstanding and would be a delight on any day including Thanksgiving...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I've used the BGE vertical turkey roaster with an 18# + whole turkey and 10# or so turkey breasts with great results each time. I do mine indirect 325 to 350 with plate setter legs up, drip pan on spacers on the plate setter, then vertical turkey roaster on the grate. Place with breast facing forward and cook to internal temperature of 160 in the breast. Remove and let rest with loose foil for 20 - 30 minutes. I like 1 chunk of hickory and 2 or 3 chunks of cherry for some wood smoke flavor.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have used this for 7 years and always works. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    My turkey came out just fine; no complaints.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Did a 12 pounder, spatchcocked, last December.  Wonderful!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try again, and will use the helpful hints you have given.
    Still enjoying the journey. :):)
    Large, small, and a mini