Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cook!

GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
I put this Brisket on at 7:00am this morning and it is already reading 140. The BGE is holding at 225 and I don't understand why the temp is coming up so fast.

Comments

• GaryLange
    Well the picture didn't come out but I am sure someone will have an idea.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Was your dome thermo calibrated before the cook? I think it might be okay to be in that range as it has been almost 4.5 hrs. How big is your brisket?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Perfectly normal. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GaryLange
    The Brisket is an 11.7lb Packer Joe! Just seemed to me like it was climbing to fast cazzy. Then again I can eat some sooner I guess.LOL,LOL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,908
    I would only be worried if it kept climbing and never stalled.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Sit back and relax. Just leave it alone. It'll stall.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • cazzy
    GaryLange said:
    The Brisket is an 11.7lb Packer Joe! Just seemed to me like it was climbing to fast cazzy. Then again I can eat some sooner I guess.LOL,LOL
    Nah...at 225, you're prolly looking at 12-14 hours.  It all just depends on how much you trimmed off...which I'm guessing about 2 pounds.  

I'm more worried about you finishing on time instead of finishing too fast.  Let's see where you are at around 3-4pm.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,081
    As long as your thermo is calibrated you will have quite a ride ahead of you as noted by @cazzy.  At the risk of stating the obvious, the finish-line for your brisket is when you get the "probes like buttah" feel in the thickest part of the flat (and that is independent of the temperature).  Most start checking in the low 190's and it may be into the low 200's before you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    It'll stall soon. No worries yet. 
    McKinney, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    These guys are all wrong. You need to stress out and drink to overcome the stress. That is the only answer. :tongue: 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GaryLange
    I wrapped it at 170 and pour some water in with it. Stuck the thermometer back in and it crawled up to 205 at about 5:00pm. I brought it in let it rest on the counter until about 6:45pm then sliced a few off for the wife and I to try and it was super juicy and very tender. Big Bob Gibson done me right again. DMW I don't even drink so that wouldn't help. This is only my second Brisket and it was a little smaller then the first one so it seemed to be going faster but all is good and I am a hero in my wife's eyes and that is what really counts.
  • cazzy
    GaryLange said:
    I wrapped it at 170 and pour some water in with it. Stuck the thermometer back in and it crawled up to 205 at about 5:00pm. I brought it in let it rest on the counter until about 6:45pm then sliced a few off for the wife and I to try and it was super juicy and very tender. Big Bob Gibson done me right again. DMW I don't even drink so that wouldn't help. This is only my second Brisket and it was a little smaller then the first one so it seemed to be going faster but all is good and I am a hero in my wife's eyes and that is what really counts.
    Lmfao...where was Big Bob when you were panicking this morning?   :tongue: 
  • GaryLange
    I don't know! I looked all over and couldn't find him anywhere. My wife did hold me and comfort me and told me it will be alright.