Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Autolock Hinge or Spring Hinge

Options
Newbie here and I am building a home for a large egg (yet to be purchased). I have come across directions that say the height of the lower shelf should be 17" if you have an autolock hinge or 15" with a springe hinge. Is the autolock hinge an aftermarket hinge, is it an option at purchase, or was it a design change?
Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Design change, all are spring hinge now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Thanks DMW! 

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Autolock is OLD.....like 15+ yrs.  I forgot about that one.

Before that was an over center type of hinge on both sides that you pulled with the ash tool.  I would just fling the lid open hard enough to get it to hold, but do it too hard and the old single function daisy wheel would go flying.  Of course you were hunched over since the stand only held the Egg 2" off the ground.

Thanks for the memories.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    My first was auto lock. Great system till one of your drunken buddies tried to close it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bob.bud
    Options
    This is how far I have come in two weekends. Purchased the materials on 4/10, started this thread on 4/11, a few interruptions here and there and the table is near completion. I need a few more coats to seal it up, a suitable piece to go in the square hole, and maybe a thinner piece of slate for the egg to rest. And of course, the purchase of a large BGE and the fun begins. That day will mark the end of a god run with my Traeger; however, the Weber Kettle may survive this change. Does anyone out there still use their kettle?
  • bob.bud
    Options
    what, my other image did not make it... here it is.
  • bob.bud
    Options
    ok... so I find myself challenged with the images
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Don't understand why people go to the trouble to put a paver/stone under the Egg when a simple table nest is all that is needed. Gotta realize some of the table plans out there are over 10 years old back when we had to find a slab of rock to protect tables.  I see this all the time.  Nice work on the table.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice work on the table.  And I still use my Weber kettle grills from time to time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @smittythesmoker a table nest will be used with my egg. The stone is there instead of deck all the way across to prevent fires from hot embers that I have read about. $7 for the stone and worth the investment in my book. Paranoid perhaps, but it is done, I cannot remove the stone as there is nothing but supports underneath. Thanks for the comment on the table.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Table looks nice, and I agree $7 buys you a lot of fire prevention. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Yes, still have Webers, and use them once in a while 
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Great looking table....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Just in case you haven't seen the old style hinge system:

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    News to me, that's for sure. Old hinge system looks rinkie-dink, but none the less seems to have measured up all these years --- if that pile of goodies is any indication.  
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's a picture with the old autolock hinge.  First egg I bought came with the old hinge like above.  I took that off and installed the old autolock pictured below.  Before eventually upgrading the spring assist.

With the autolock you had to manually pull down the yellow handle to release the lock before you could lower it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• bob.bud
    Options
    Finally, the first burn to play with temp control. I was able to to fire her up and hold temp at 225 for an hour, raised to 250 and held, and climbed my way to 350 stopping at 50 degree increments and held. At 350, I hate to say it, but my wife and daughter snuck something in the egg while I was taking care of things in the garage, and unfortunately, it is the unplanned first cook.

While pigs in a blanket aren't a bad snack to throw back with some brew, I promise to share more worthy cooks.