Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kick ash basket!!!

Options
Just ordered a kick ash basket for my medium egg !!!! Have been waiting a year for Chad to finally tool them up for the medium size eggs. !looking toward to using it. Had read many a good reviews on them
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Did you happen to get a stainless steel version of this basket?

They were selling a limited number of them a couple of months back.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Don't know what he made the medium size baskets out of. Hopefully they are stainless
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Probably not. But no worries. Mines a year old and doing fine. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I'd buy two if they sold them for the small egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    What is the difference with the ash basket vs what comes with the egg?
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I like mine a lot, would definitely get it again.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    blukat said:
    A kick ash basket is a lot more open, allowing for more air flow.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DalemarBGE
    Options
    the kick ash basket and the vented chimney cap are the best accessories I have gotten
    If you're feelin' puny and you don't know what to do
    Treat yourself to some meat eat some barbeque
    - Robert Earl Keen

L BGE
    Auburn, AL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    blukat said:
    A kick ash basket is a lot more open, allowing for more air flow.  

Notice how the basket also helps prevent the side vent holes from being plugged by ash and small pieces of coal. This is also a key feature of the basket. A real winner!!
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    So where did you order it from? The mediums were not on the site yesterday. 
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    @r8rs4lf,

http://www.kickashbasket.com/contact-us/

You can email them with questions about the medium basket and they will quickly reply back.

Their customer service has been excellent with my questions and orders.

Good luck!

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I'd buy two if they sold them for the small egg
    Ditto!  If the company is now making them for the Medium, maybe he'll change his mind and make a Small, too.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    Yes, If they made one for the small it would be Great!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Rob Lewis
    Options
    I bent the handles of my KickAsh inward until they were level with the top of my firebox. Now they work as supports for auxiliary grates and things I set on the top edge of the firebox. For example, I have a semicircular cast-iron grill that sits nicely very near the coals and is great for searing, etc. 
    Chad likes the idea but he can't do it at the factory because then the baskets wouldn't nest and stack nicely. 
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options

ordering one now.

any suggestions on where to order the chimney cap from?

Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    So curious with the basket to you see a change in1) Burn Pattern and 2) consumption 3) temp control issues with increased airflow
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    So curious with the basket to you see a change in1) Burn Pattern and 2) consumption 3) temp control issues with increased airflow
    i've never used one myself but i'd guess you'd see a lot fewer spikes/drops in temp since the airflow would be a lot more consistent. 
  • r8rs4lf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The medium KAB is on the site now. 

I notice on the site pictures the baskets are only filled to the top of the basket which is the top of the fire bowl. Any problem filling it to the top of the fire ring?
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Love my kick ash....
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:

I notice on the site pictures the baskets are only filled to the top of the basket which is the top of the fire bowl. Any problem filling it to the top of the fire ring?
    The only problem with over-filling passed the basket is if you plan on a short cook and don't burn off enough charcoal below the basket handle, it'll be harder to lift the basket out cleanly.  For overnight cooks, feel free to fill it up to the fire ring.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    I just got the new HD basket for the Large yesterday. That thing is a hoss. Although I never had any issues with the previous version on my L or XL.

I HIGHLY recommend KAB. 

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I ran into Chad at Roswell Hardware on Saturday. I've been bugging him for a Medium basket for some time now. He happened to have the the very first batch with him. I cannot believe how much beefier the HD version is compared to the original! So long Medium Fire Grate that ALWAYS tipped over while stirring the coal. Time to Kick Ash! 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Temperature control issues are almost always an air flow issue. Because of the open design, there is less chance that airflow gets blocked. 

Lump consumption is dictated by the temp and for any given temp, the grate design will not matter.  One small * to that is small lump pieces may fall through the grate into the ash pit. You may notice some unburnt pieces of lump.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• r8rs4lf
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    r8rs4lf said:

The only problem with over-filling passed the basket is if you plan on a short cook and don't burn off enough charcoal below the basket handle, it'll be harder to lift the basket out cleanly.  For overnight cooks, feel free to fill it up to the fire ring.
    Just the answer I was looking for. Ordering today. 
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options

I cannot attest to whether the temps or burns are better or worse, I had the kick ash basket waiting on the back porch for the egg to arrive.  It was the first accessory I bought along with the cast iron plate setter.

Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Do they not make a hd model for the XL?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I sure hope he will make one for the small BGE one day. I would love one so it would be easier to clean out the ash. The small door is a PITA during that task.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I sure hope he will make one for the small BGE one day. I would love one so it would be easier to clean out the ash. The small door is a PITA during that task.
    If he does one for the small my credit card will leap at the chance to give him money.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Does the manufacturer (Chad?) frequent this forum?  There seems to be a lot of demand (well, six of us  :) ) for a Small KAB...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Just go to the site and email him. He will get back to you
    Jefferson .GA.