Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Portland?

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited April 2015 in Off Topic
im in Portland for the first time for the next 2 nights. After all the helpful comments I have seen bantered about over on the devastated thread, I thought "hey, maybe someone will help a brother out and give me a good spot to eat tonight". I know it's not heavy like taxes, abortion rights, or immigration reform but centex has needs too. 

Any ideas? I'm in the pearl staying at Hotel Deluxe. Hosting a party at Rogue tomorrow night and going to Williamettte to drink some vino all day wed. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    You have good timing...Thrillist posted the best street food and Portland made the cut.  

12. Portland

Oregon
    You could make a case for New York’s hot dogs, halal carts, and street meat, or Chicago’s dragged-through-the-garden red hots, but Portland has so embraced the concept of street food that it’s become a way of life. It helps, too, that most of the hundreds (estimates range from 400-700 operating on any given day) of food carts out there aren’t limited to slinging meats simmering in dirty water or roasting on an exposed spit for days. In fact, Portland’s street-food scene is like a staging ground for the restaurants of the future, as evidenced by numerous carts that worked out their culinary kinks before opening great restaurants.

The carts are often clustered together in “pods,” where there’s often beer and sometimes cocktails. And the variety of foods on offer is astoundingly diverse. Where else can you get a foie gras burger, Ethiopian food, steak frites, lobster rolls, lesser-known Thai delicacies, octopus balls, burritos, fried pies, pasta, cake, cheese plates, Mauritian curry, wood-fired pizza, hand-churned ice cream, poutine, porchetta, tandoori chicken, arepas, sushi, or a waffle cone stuffed with pulled pork all in one neighborhood (and for under $10)? Oh, and if you really, really need some halal food, street meat, or a Chicago dog, well, they’ve got those too.
    Known for: Everything, really
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    You have good timing...Thrillist posted the best street food and Portland made the cut.  

12. Portland

Oregon
    You could make a case for New York’s hot dogs, halal carts, and street meat, or Chicago’s dragged-through-the-garden red hots, but Portland has so embraced the concept of street food that it’s become a way of life. It helps, too, that most of the hundreds (estimates range from 400-700 operating on any given day) of food carts out there aren’t limited to slinging meats simmering in dirty water or roasting on an exposed spit for days. In fact, Portland’s street-food scene is like a staging ground for the restaurants of the future, as evidenced by numerous carts that worked out their culinary kinks before opening great restaurants.

The carts are often clustered together in “pods,” where there’s often beer and sometimes cocktails. And the variety of foods on offer is astoundingly diverse. Where else can you get a foie gras burger, Ethiopian food, steak frites, lobster rolls, lesser-known Thai delicacies, octopus balls, burritos, fried pies, pasta, cake, cheese plates, Mauritian curry, wood-fired pizza, hand-churned ice cream, poutine, porchetta, tandoori chicken, arepas, sushi, or a waffle cone stuffed with pulled pork all in one neighborhood (and for under $10)? Oh, and if you really, really need some halal food, street meat, or a Chicago dog, well, they’ve got those too.
    Known for: Everything, really
    all over this. Thanks
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Isn't Pok Pok the bees knees?  I think a couple of people have called their fish sauce wings the best chicken wings in America.  I don't have a ton to offer (it's the wrong Portland if you ask me, but you can't day trip to Willamette from the one of the East Coast).  Top Chef season 12's runner up is the exec chef at Departure, might be worth checking out.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Here's some recommendations I made in the past for PDX:

If you're looking for larger craft breweries in PDX, then there's Widmer and Bridgeport, which are some of the older guys in Oregon.  I prefer some of the smaller guys on the East side - Migration, Breakside, Commons, Gigantic, Ecliptic.  Ecliptic also is also located on the south end of Mississippi St., which is a great place for local eateries and watering holes.  Another area I highly recommend is NE Williams St.  Go to Tasty 'N Sons for a meal you will not forget.  It's conveniently located across the street from both HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing (location is called 5th Quadrant).  Both these guys make excellent beers.  If you only have a short time, this is where I would go.  

For some of the best BBQ outside Texas, there's Podnah's.  Other great eateries would be Ox, Toro Bravo (tapas), Beast, Lardo (for an epic sandwich), and Stammtisch (German pub - try the Schweinhaxen).  And if you're still hungry, get some ice cream at Salt and Straw, but it tends to be pretty packed and somewhat touristy.

You're staying downtown, which I tend to steer clear of - it's just a little too D baggy for me; with the exception of Le Pigeon, Clyde Common, and Little Bird, which are right down there.  East side may have more hipsters, but that's also where the good, reasonably priced food and beer is.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I believe I read there are a few world class charcuterie places in Portland.

here - did a quick lookup

http://www.tailsandtrotters.com/  (acorn finished pigs)

http://www.olympiaprovisions.com/

http://chopbutchery.com/menu/

+1 on the food trucks, my brother lives there and said the quality and diversity is amazing

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sounds like a fun trip. Food trucks, charcuterie, and wine. Sounds great. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    seems a fella like me could do some damage in a place such as this. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SWMBO had been to a truck in Portland that made killer hainan chicken( or something similar). I'll try and get the details form her.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    SWMBO had been to a truck in Portland that made killer hainan chicken( or something similar). I'll try and get the details form her.
    Thanks. Sounds awesome. I'm going to be drunk and stuffed by the end of the night. Shocking, I know. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Downtown craft beer places are like nothing I've ever seen. There are even guys who will guide you through the number of craft beer pubs based on your personal ale/beer likes - so you don't waste anytime sampling and getting Shitefaced. SWMBO usually shops while I stumble. Tails and Trotters is good spot for light fare. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Yo CT - this is it.

http://khaomangai.com/

Supposedly it was very good. Get there early, because they tend to run out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I don't live there but travel there often. I like Saltys (seafood), Portland City Grill, Killer Burger, Ringside steakhouse and by all means go to VooDoo donuts.
    McKinney, TX
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    x2 for Lardo and VooDoo Donuts!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I polled the forum and most think this trip is a figment of your imagination. I guess you should take pics?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker check out them food trucks for me and do a little recon mission under the down low. lol 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Chubbs said:
    I polled the forum and most think this trip is a figment of your imagination. I guess you should take pics?
    I saw the bar bill from last night.  Let me just suggest that it might be a while before we hear back from Cen Tex. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    he did leave a $450 tip, helluva customer!
    Options
    Papa Hydens has amazing desserts!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The food stands are great for lunch- last time I was there I had some great italian at Mucca Osteria. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just found the other place I went- pretty solid meal as well.  Ringside Fish House. 

But got to check out some of the cool food stand places- there are two areas about 3 blocks from each other downtown.

Greensboro, NC
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options

...You're staying downtown, which I tend to steer clear of - it's just a little too D baggy for me; with the exception of Le Pigeon, Clyde Common, and Little Bird, which are right down there.  East side may have more hipsters, but that's also where the good, reasonably priced food and beer is.
    Is this the area known as the Pearl District? ...Near Powell's Book Store?

If you wanted to stay some place where all of the good restaurants and bars were located (think French Quarter in New Orleans) where would you stay in Portland?
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I didn't do anything you guys suggested but I had one hell of a time in Portland! We tore it up both days I was there and got a little work done somehow as well. Threw a great (and expensive) party at Rogue in The Pearl and we went wine tasting all day in Williamette Valley yesterday. What a gorgeous place. We ate dinner at some place overlooking the city last night (like a fine dining type joint). It was great but I was pickled from all the wine. There were 2 middle aged dudes on separate dates with Tranny hookers in there. They were hot but both over 6 feet tall. And dudes.

I need a nap and my credit card is too hot to touch right now.  

2 thumbs up for Portland. Home of the hottest tranny hookers I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot :lol: 
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    UncleFred said:

...You're staying downtown, which I tend to steer clear of - it's just a little too D baggy for me; with the exception of Le Pigeon, Clyde Common, and Little Bird, which are right down there.  East side may have more hipsters, but that's also where the good, reasonably priced food and beer is.

If you wanted to stay some place where all of the good restaurants and bars were located (think French Quarter in New Orleans) where would you stay in Portland?
    Yeah - the Pearl is NW.  Used to be more industrial, then became very overdeveloped and very expensive.

If you're looking for entertaining places to stay that are definitely Portland, check out the McMennamins establishments.  They purchase historic locations and renovate them with local artists.  Most contain several bars/restaurants, on site breweries, soaking pools, and live music.  Their Kennedy School is located in NE, very close to newer up and coming restaurants, and the Crystal Hotel is downtown (westside) right on the edge of the Pearl District.  

If you're looking for a VERY different experience that is the extreme of Portland weird, check out the Jupiter Hotel, which part of a great music venue, the Doug Fir.  THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.  Expect more chains and whips rather than gifts from the Gideons, but in a nicer hotel; not one that rents rooms by the hour.

If you're looking for more of a traditional hotel, then downtown would be your place.  This is where you'll find majority of the city's hotels and the older establishments like Jake's Seafood, Imperial, and El Gaucho.  Hotel Lucia, Hotel Monaco, and traditional Marriott are pretty good places.

No matter where you end up, you will find good beer and food.  My personal preference (I like a good seedy bar and unique food) would be to stay over at Kennedy School, then check out some of the more unique places in NE.  The Alberta area, 28th/29th & Glisan area, Williams St. area, and Mississippi St. are my usual stomping grounds.  Also Hawthorne and Belmont districts just over in SE are pretty fun.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    UncleFred said:

Yeah - the Pearl is NW.  Used to be more industrial, then became very overdeveloped and very expensive.

If you're looking for entertaining places to stay that are definitely Portland, check out the McMennamins establishments.  They purchase historic locations and renovate them with local artists.  Most contain several bars/restaurants, on site breweries, soaking pools, and live music.  Their Kennedy School is located in NE, very close to newer up and coming restaurants, and the Crystal Hotel is downtown (westside) right on the edge of the Pearl District.  

If you're looking for a VERY different experience that is the extreme of Portland weird, check out the Jupiter Hotel, which part of a great music venue, the Doug Fir.  THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.  Expect more chains and whips rather than gifts from the Gideons, but in a nicer hotel; not one that rents rooms by the hour.

If you're looking for more of a traditional hotel, then downtown would be your place.  This is where you'll find majority of the city's hotels and the older establishments like Jake's Seafood, Imperial, and El Gaucho.  Hotel Lucia, Hotel Monaco, and traditional Marriott are pretty good places.

No matter where you end up, you will find good beer and food.  My personal preference (I like a good seedy bar and unique food) would be to stay over at Kennedy School, then check out some of the more unique places in NE.  The Alberta area, 28th/29th & Glisan area, Williams St. area, and Mississippi St. are my usual stomping grounds.  Also Hawthorne and Belmont districts just over in SE are pretty fun.
    Thanks for all this. I'll definitely be going back. Great town. One of my new faves. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2015
    Options

2 thumbs up for Portland. Home of the hottest tranny hookers I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot lol 

Lauriol Plaza in DC has some nice ones too. They even sing to you.
  • Acn
    Options

2 thumbs up for Portland. Home of the hottest tranny hookers I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot lol 

Hah, people actually go to Lauriol Plaza?  If you're going to send him anywhere in DC I think Perry's Drag Brunch is the better option.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah- it's not a treasure hunt. Was just fun to see them out in the wild doing their thing. 
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Oh how I miss home....  + 1 on going to McMennamins. Stop by any one of their local pubs.  Foods not the best, but you can't beat a Terminator Stout.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Acn said:

Hah, people actually go to Lauriol Plaza?  If you're going to send him anywhere in DC I think Perry's Drag Brunch is the better option.
    It's been years since I've been(like 5 or 6) and I've heard it's been going downhill. However, getting serenaded on a nightly basis by the best Adam's Apple in Adams Morgan can't be beat.
  • Acn
    Options
    Acn said:

It's been years since I've been(like 5 or 6) and I've heard it's been going downhill. However, getting serenaded on a nightly basis by the best Adam's Apple in Adams Morgan can't be beat.
    I only went once, around 2001-02.  I just couldn't believe the crowds for what it was.  When we wanted Latin, we always went to Habana Village.  Fox & Hound was the prime happy hour spot though.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD