Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? Rubs ?

Options
I did my first lo 'n slo cook yesterday on some fine baby backs.  I think this was my best cook to date as far as holding a good, consistent temp for as long as I did.  
I did a 3-2-1 method on 250 for most of the time.  I bumped up to 275 to finish.  My result was a nice, tender and juicy rib.  

My problem, however, was my rub was way too salty.  I used yellow mustard to start and then added my rub.  Maybe I used too much but I do think it was salty.  I bought this from my local butcher / grocer as their "special blend" of seasoning - some I had left over from making party favors for a BabyQ shower.  Long story.  

What are some better low-salt options out there to buy?  I could possibly make my own but would want to try some ready-made stuff first.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Anything from here:  http://www.oakridgebbq.com/

My personal favorites are their Secret Weapon and the Black Ops Brisket Rub, but there is plenty in the packages they do in the sampler packs, probably around 1/4 C.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Dizzy dust salt free or make your own.

Pensacola,FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I really like sweet swine mine for ribs. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Just remember Ribs VS large cuts of meat IE Brisket or Butt are far less forgiving so if there is salt in your rub don't lay it on as you would a larger cut no matter what rub you choose to use
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Buy these and be in complete control of your salt content.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    There are lots of great rubs and probably more opinions. But this is my ultimate favorite. It's got just enough sugar in it, has a kick, and below 5% salt. Awesome on chicken, fish, pork, beef, you name it. You can only get it at their restaurant (or web page). I buy it by the case.

http://www.ssbbq.bigcartel.com/product/saint-simon-s-soul-dust

I agree that making your own is fun too and you could use as much salt as you want. My other favs are Pig Pounda Kappa (but it has some MSG in it) and Bone Suckin Sauce Rub. Both of which I buy at my local Ace Hardware.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/shop/?pig_pounda_kappa_barbecue_rub&show=product&productID=280862

http://www.buybonesuckin.com/products/Bone-Suckin'-ORIGINAL-Seasoning-&-Rub-26-oz..html

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dizzy dust salt free
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I prefer to mix at home. Lots of good recipes available and easy to do.  Just follow the recipe, except omit the salt.  Salt the meat separate from adding the rub.  A good source for some rub recipes is:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/index.html

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have to watch my sodium intake so I've been mixing my own rubs for quite a while now. Sometimes I leave out the salt all together, other times I just use a fraction of what the recipe calls for. Honestly, I don't miss it. I found one Creole Vegetable Seasoning recipe that calls for SIX TABLESPOONS of salt!!! I made a batch with drastically reduced salt and it was fine. Then a second batch with NO SALT at all. Delicious!! Would never fly in NOLA, but I like it. GOOD STUFF.

Point is, there are tons of recipes out there. Search for rib rub recipes or whatever and find a few you think you'd like. Then, use only as much salt as YOU prefer. I've done it with my old homebrew butt rub, Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish, McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, many others... even Coffee Rub! Mickey cut back the salt from the original recipe, I make a batch that calls for 1 tablespoon of salt - I use one tsp.

BTW, not only does prepared mustard contain salt, but it is completely unnecessary before applying any rub. French's, for example, has 55 mg per tsp... not a lot, but it does add up. Plus it's a sloppy, gooey mess! ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    Options
    +1 Acn
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Try Mickey's coffee rub. Many on the forum like it. You can adjust the salt, but it's good on ribs the way it is and I coat them heavy. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157211/coffee-rub/p1
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    adams rib rub is fantastic
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Like @stem33 says, coffee rub is ideal, so is Memphis Dust from Amazing Ribs - easy to make and cut back on the salt.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    For a no salt commercial rub take a look at Penzy's Arizona Dreaming if looking for that flavor profile.  And another endorsement for oakridge bbq-check out their sampler-free shipping.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    ^^^Memphis Dust is one of my favorite rib rubs.

The rub I use on pork shoulder is way too salty for ribs. A large cut like a butt or picnic can easily handle high salt, but thin cut like ribs with a higher surface area to meat ratio needs a lower salt content rub.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For a no salt commercial rub take a look at Penzy's Arizona Dreaming if looking for that flavor profile.  And another endorsement for oakridge bbq-check out their sampler-free shipping.
    And you get a free package of white privilege guilt from Penzy's with every order!