Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curing Bacon

This will mark the 3rd time I'll make a large batch of bacon. The first two instances were geared toward salt, this time I went more sweet with brown sugar. 20lbs smoked with apple wood. I'll smoke until 150IT, then put into the fridge uncovered for about 18hrs. Then slice, and food saver. Will update with pics. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    That a whole lotta lovin' right there. What temp are you running in the pit for smoking?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    That a whole lotta lovin' right there. What temp are you running in the pit for smoking?  
    Sitting at 225* right now. I'd like to say that this would last me all year, but with 4 brothers and soon-to-be in-laws, we probably only keep like 5lbs. 
  • nysportsfan

This is about half. The smell of bacon in the house at 10pm was almost too much to resist. I threw a bit of cherry in there and the coloring is a bit darker this time, which I really like. The deli slicer is going to break a sweat tonight.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Nice! I need to try this for myself. Some belly for American style bacon and some loin for Canadian style.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I love homemade bacon.  That looks great.
    NOLA
  • nysportsfan
    I think I have overshot the IT in the past. I pulled right at 150* last night, and it seemed way juicier. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @nysportsfan, did you wet cure them first before smoking them and so did you use curing salt.  If so how many days did you cure them for.  These look awesome. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nysportsfan
    ILadeback69 said:
    @nysportsfan, did you wet cure them first before smoking them and so did you use curing salt.  If so how many days did you cure them for.  These look awesome. 
    I cured them in a combination of pink curing salt, additional salt, pepper, and a bunch of brown sugar.

I then:

Put them in 2 gallon bags and then into the second fridge.
    Flipped every other day.
    Checked for firmness after 7 days, let it go another day and a half.
    Rinse, pat dry.
    Back in fridge uncovered for 24 hours.
    Into the smoker. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    ILadeback69 said:
    I cured them in a combination of pink curing salt, additional salt, pepper, and a bunch of brown sugar.

I then:

Flipped every other day.
    Rinse, pat dry.
    Into the smoker. 
    Sounds like what I have read.  Is it better then the bacon you can buy?  It's something I have been wanting to do.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nysportsfan
    ILadeback69 said:

I then:

Flipped every other day.
    Rinse, pat dry.
    Into the smoker. 
    Sounds like what I have read.  Is it better then the bacon you can buy?  It's something I have been wanting to do.
    Much better than the standard. I like it better than most others, too.

At 2.49/lb, it sure beats the hell out of buying it!
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Dang, that looked insane.  I need Pork Belly AND a Slicer!!!!!!!
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Nice looking bacon
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks great. You should give cold smoked a try. Even better IMO 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I smoked a belly this weekend (3rd time) but didn't let it sit in the fridge for a day before slicing. Please educate me on what the advantage is. Thanks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The fat hardens and it's easier to slice.
    Thank you @Nola!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2015
    I'm sorry y'all please don't flog me but, I've never cured my own bacon.  However, my co-worker has a farm and just took a pig (close to 675#) to be processed and I'm going to buy feed from him :wink: He can't sell meat so I'm "donating" feed $ and will get some sausage, brats, butts, ham-- if not too big and belly (gonna try my hand at pancetta). 
    Edit: OBTW This sow actually smelled like maple.  Yes seriously, maple. And he takes so tender care of each one. Basically almost hand fed. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    Sir NPHuskerFL, you must try curing and smoking bacon. Nothing like it!, I found Michael Ruhlman's book a great guide!  I've dreamt of doing pancetta!! If you do it let me (us
  • NPHuskerFL
    @bgebrent last part of your comment dropped off. (us.....?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nysportsfan
    edited April 2015
    Putting back into the fridge allows for easier slicing. It took me about 3 hours to slice and package, so it's definitely a labor of love. 

However, this is by far the best batch I've made. I think smoking exactly to 150* made a big difference. The smoke is not too strong and it not too sweet. There will be plenty of happy family members and friends in the coming days and weeks. What you see is essentially 1/8th of what I made. I sliced much thicker this time as I prefer it that way.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Very nice. I'm out of bacon and I have a belly in the freeze I've been meaning to turn into pancetta. I need to get off my arse. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    edited April 2015
    Just started curing 10lbs yesterday.  I also follow Michael Ruhlman's recipe for Maple bacon.  Been making it for a couple of years now.  Once you have it it's hard to go back to store bought!  I plan on smoking with hickory and peach.okin. 
  • bgebrent
    @NPHuskerFL, sorry for the busted post.  I'm still figuring this out!  Meant to say let me (us) know how it turns out and your method.  Thank you sir.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Dang, that looked insane.  I need Pork Belly AND a Slicer!!!!!!!
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Looks awesome!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Now I'm starving!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va