Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are these ribs still good?

Guys,
I need the experts help on this one.
Ive got 3 racks of BB ribs. They were vacuum packed by the butcher and then frozen. I thawed them in the fridge (in the vacuum packing) but due to various things going on did not get them on the egg. It has been 2 weeks since I thawed them. They have stayed in the fridge the entire time. Id like to try and get them on the Egg this afternoon. When I took them out of the vacuum pack they smelled fine and were very red, no browning at all. They were a little slimy. The sliminess rinsed right off under cold water. Id obviously prefer to note food poison the family. Will these ribs be okay to eat after I turbo them?

Thanks Guys,
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I'd eat them. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    I wouldn't. I left some I. The fridge for a Week and were smelling like death. Too risky. Always smell first too. 
    Victoria, MN
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    If you have any doubt turf them. Personally I am with Steven I would cook them.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Since they were vacuum packed and since they smelled ok, I think they are safe.  But after cooking if they taste funny you may reconsider. I would cook a couple of the ribs without sauce or rub, so you can taste test them before serving, maybe one from each rack. Best of luck.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Seems to me the cost of a few packs of ribs vs. the cost of a trip to the doctor or emergency room makes tossing them out an easy choice. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Smell test. If you are in doubt after you smell them, pitch them. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Even ''good' meat will smell sometimes coming out of cryovac.  Several of the longtimers in this forum have weighed in on this and as a result I throw much less meat away than I used to and pay far less attention to dates on meat as long as it's stored at a proper temp.  I'll add that this obviously goes for whole cuts, not anything ground and for meat - not poultry or fish.

If the smell rinses off, you're ok.  The pork tenderloin I'm marinating for tonight was well past date, embarrassingly past.  It's been in it's original cryo pack in the fridge I use for beer and meat, colder than where the salad is kept.  The water in the cryo was still clear.  I opened it and the stink rinsed off with cold water in 2-3 minutes, so I'm marinating and will cook tonight.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You said they smell fine so I think you are good to go. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Cook them
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I've been hospitalized for salmonella so you can probably guess what my response is....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If the slime (normal on many cuts after the first day or so in cryovac) rinses off and there is no ammonia or rancid odour, you are good to go. From your description of the storage and the opening, you are fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    I say go for it if they don't smell bad.

it probably took a few days of that two weeks for the ribs to completely thaw. Pork tends to last a while in the fridge--especially when sealed. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    My understanding is that you cannot smell, taste or see the bacteria that cause food poisoning. Do not rely on the smell test.  Remember that food spoilage bacteria and foodborne illness bacteria are not the same.

There is a difference between factory cryovac and vacuum packed by a butcher.  How old were they when the butcher vacuum packed them and then froze them?  Did he actually freeze them, or did he get them already frozen?  Many butchers get their BB ribs factory frozen. I wouldn't worry about ribs that were factory frozen (and remained frozen) that have been in my fridge for only 2 weeks. On the other hand, if your butcher had some ribs that had been sitting in his fridge for a few weeks before he froze them, I would be more concerned. 

Also remember that recommended safe cooking temp for pork is 145º with a hold time of 3 minutes.  BB ribs will cook to somewhere near 200º and be above 145º for hours, not minutes.  The pasteurization levels will be pretty high for ribs. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I teach food safety classes and have a degree in biology, so the standard answer I would give is to throw them out. A piece of meat passing the smell test is like the five second rule. It's not a fool-proof method for testing if the meat is still good. And just because the meat is in cryovac doesn't mean it's free of bacterial contamination, it could have been contaminated at the processing plant. The reason cook temp for pork is a minimum of 145 is because that is the temp at which most bacteria that infect pork will be completely dead, but as jtcBoynton said above, there is a difference between a piece of meat being contaminated and a piece of meat spoiling. The date is there for a reason: it's a safety measure to prevent people from eating food that has started to spoil. Food that has spoiled is actively being decomposed by bacteria or fungi that were already living in the animal. These bacteria/fungi had a symbiotic relationship with the animal, but since the animal is no longer contributing nutrients to the colony, the bacteria/fungi have to resort to scavenging to get nutrients. Freezing the meat sort of hibernates the bacteria, it doesn't kill them, which is why you can freeze meat and it be safe, but refrigeration isn't cold enough to prevent decomposition. Lastly, cooking spoiled meat to 145 degrees will not prevent one from getting sick! The spores produced by the bacteria that lived in the animal can survive extremely high heat, making it extremely unsafe to consume. While the date given is always a couple days before spoiling typically occurs, the manner in which you explained they were held would definitely have me throwing them out. Better safe than sorry.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    In my house, the rule is:
    When in doubt, toss it out

Its cheaper than a day off from work and/or an emergency room bill.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Well, I cooked them up. I was actually surprised how well they turned out. 350 for 2 hours, toss on some sauce, foil, and wait for everyone to get home. I guess we will know tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    For my fingers crossed for you!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    :rofl: Hope the library is well stocked. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,025
    Hope you all make it through!

Next time I would cook them and pick the kid you like the least and feed him first.  If he is good in a few hours I say dig in.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I would toss them.  Not worth the risk.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    bboulier said:
    I would toss them.  Not worth the risk.
    Uhhh. Too late
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    In my experience you will know way before tomorrow.  Also from my experience unless you have a sensitive stomach I'm thinking you will be just fine.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    As noted above the best before dates are there for a reason, IMO, that reason has nothing to do with food safety. It has everything to do with liability of the seller/packer and ensuring the food is at its peak. It is a super safe date, in most cases. Many foods have a best before date, not an expiry date - two very different things. I have relied on the feel and smell test for packaged meat for years and have tossed some out as it did not seem right. sstripes96 said:
    Well, I cooked them up. I was actually surprised how well they turned out. 350 for 2 hours, toss on some sauce, foil, and wait for everyone to get home. I guess we will know tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Let us know! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    When in doubt, throw it out.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I teach food safety classes and have a degree in biology, so the standard answer I would give is to throw them out. A piece of meat passing the smell test is like the five second rule. It's not a fool-proof method for testing if the meat is still good. And just because the meat is in cryovac doesn't mean it's free of bacterial contamination, it could have been contaminated at the processing plant. The reason cook temp for pork is a minimum of 145 is because that is the temp at which most bacteria that infect pork will be completely dead, but as jtcBoynton said above, there is a difference between a piece of meat being contaminated and a piece of meat spoiling. The date is there for a reason: it's a safety measure to prevent people from eating food that has started to spoil. Food that has spoiled is actively being decomposed by bacteria or fungi that were already living in the animal. These bacteria/fungi had a symbiotic relationship with the animal, but since the animal is no longer contributing nutrients to the colony, the bacteria/fungi have to resort to scavenging to get nutrients. Freezing the meat sort of hibernates the bacteria, it doesn't kill them, which is why you can freeze meat and it be safe, but refrigeration isn't cold enough to prevent decomposition. Lastly, cooking spoiled meat to 145 degrees will not prevent one from getting sick! The spores produced by the bacteria that lived in the animal can survive extremely high heat, making it extremely unsafe to consume. While the date given is always a couple days before spoiling typically occurs, the manner in which you explained they were held would definitely have me throwing them out. Better safe than sorry.
    I always heard let your nose tell you.  Thanks for the detailed information.  I also thought freezing killed stuff and so did cooking to at least 145.  I'm now somewhat depressed now that I'm out of the Matrix as your post was the "blue pill".  I'm going to check the temp on my freezer and fridge right now and then go to bed.  Seriously, thanks for posting.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    I would be a little worried about it. 
    McKinney, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Did they have a sell by date?  If you got them from a local butcher that gets them from the farm, maybe your timeline isn't that long after all?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    We're all good. No problems at all. They were even better today at lunch. Thanks for all the concerns.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Awesome!! I would have tossed them so glad you didn't get sick.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA