Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach wood - when do you use it?

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
My wife got me two bags of peach.  I never used it before.  I use hickory or apple for pork, cherry and oak on brisket, pecan or alder on chicken, mostly pecan and a small chunk of cherry on turkey...  However, I never had peach available so I thought I would ask those who have used it, what they used it on. 

Also, what would you NOT use it on?

I was going to use it on my chicken breasts and thighs which have been marinating in garlic, cilantro, lime juice and a dash of cayenne; however,  I think I am going to stay with pecan tonight, and wait to hear what people reccommend. 
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax
--------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use it on chicken and pork.  I will mix in a little cherry if color is important for whatever I am cooking.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    I've used it for wings, fish and pork butt so far and like it a lot. I mix mine with pecan--not sure why just seems like a good combo. I know others on here like it alot 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Never have used peach but recently was given a bunch of plum-went here to try and sort it out;
    http://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/04/01/smoke-wood-what-kind-is-best-well-it-depends/ Hope this helps.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Use it where you would use apple.  I sometimes mix a little  peach with hickory and white oak.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've used it for pork and chicken, and found that I liked it just as well as any of the fruit woods. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    I use it for everything but beef...I use pecan for that 
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Chicken always. About 2 pieces the size of a golf ball. Chicken will take smoke on very fast so use a small about of wood
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am using a small chunk with some trout en papillote right now. Good stuff
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Can't wait to see that @chubbs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Can't wait to see that @chubbs
    It was really good. Just posted
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I just used peach for the first time on two butts and a rack of ribs. Excellent light smoky flavor. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I just recently got some peach and have been experimenting.  Wonderful smoke aroma.  I have used peach with hickory instead of apple with hickory for ribs.  I asked family members whether they noticed a difference.  They agreed the taste was different and almost everyone agreed that the change was positive.    I usually don't use wood with chicken, but a little bit of peach adds a nice light smoke.   Peach also goes well as a substitute for apple on a pork roast. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, and pork. I use peach on all of them.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Peach, like most of the other fruit woods is a solid all around wood. It can be used across the board with pretty dog gone good results. This is especially true on a offset stick burner where you are burning the wood instead of smoldering it. Under these conditions Peach really shines. I do not have unlimited access to it anymore. But when I did, I used it right up there with oak and pecan. Do not be scared of Peach wood my friend, it is par excellent.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can use it on anything with little risk the smoke will taint your food. (Huh...huh huh... I said "taint").  

Mesquite and hickory can be disagreably smokey on some things.  Actually regular lump smoke can be with no wood added.  Good smoke is the rule.
    Options
    I used it with a leg of lamb. As the others stated previously...outstanding!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never let me down smoke chart.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Never let me down smoke chart.
    That's good stuff buddy. Thanks for posting @Skiddymarker
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I use it on everything.  Peach is great.  A lot of the comp guys use apricot as well.

Like apple, I just like that it's a light smoke and you're not going to overdo it like you could accidently do with hickory, pecan, etc.