Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asian Inspired Chicken Quarters

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Chicken leg quarters are a favorite here. We decided on Asian style. Really it was "You have 3 Asian sauces open in the fridge, fix that".

Coated well with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and on raised direct at 275* with a big chunk of  apple wood.

While that was on I mixed up a glaze of:
Plum Sauce
Sweet & Sour Duck Sauce
General Zso's Sauce
Apple Cider Vinegar
Fresh Ginger
Soy Sauce
Garlic Paste
Chinese Five Spice Powder
Honey
Fresh Lime Juice
Wasabi Paste
Corn Starch (to thicken)

I basically just combined what was left of the first 3 jarred sauces and started combining the rest until it tasted good, so no measurements at all.

After almost 2 hours, I upped the temps and started glazing and flipping.

It worked.

The flavor profile of the glaze complimented the Tsunami Spin nicely and it was a hit with the family. I could have given it a bit more high heat at the end to crisp the skin better, but now I know for next time.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks great, way to improvise 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice sir. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Sounds and looks great, hope you can duplicate that!
    canuckland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Well if that's the best you've got :tongue: 
    Looks righteous to me brody. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    man.I bet those were good.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Believe it or not, leg quarters are one of my favorites. They look mighty fine from where I'm sitting brother D. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh man...Looks good. 

Just for the record "Believe it or not, everything is one of @SGH favorites". Haha

Edit add on: Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the details of your cook @DMWJust did a relook at the close up pic. That looks spectacular. Did you cook to a certain temp prior to basting? 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @stemc33 - Yes, I made sure they were all at least 165*-ish before I started glazing. This took about 2 hours and I flipped them one halfway through.

I like to get leg quarters to at least 180* before serving, I just like the texture better.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Way to be inventive!  

I need to do the same thing.  The dang fridge has many of those bottles.  

Leftovers would make some banging fried rice!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Nice cleanup meal, sounds and looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Yes please!!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Looks great! Next time you do Asian style try using some different smokes - whole cardamom pods and whole cloves lend a really unique flavor, and I'd guess that something like star anise would as well.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Great looking cook! Leg quarters are my favorite part of the chicken.

Acn said:
    Looks great! Next time you do Asian style try using some different smokes - whole cardamom pods and whole cloves lend a really unique flavor, and I'd guess that something like star anise would as well.
    @Acn are you saying to mix those spices into the lump?  I love all of the spices listed but have never thought about making smoke out of them.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is the way to clean out the fridge and hit a home run! That looks killer. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeaah Boyeee!

alright, I give up.  supposed to be flavor flav pic.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Great looking cook! Leg quarters are my favorite part of the chicken.

Acn said:
    @Acn are you saying to mix those spices into the lump?  I love all of the spices listed but have never thought about making smoke out of them.

Yep, either mix them in, or just toss them on a spot the fire is already going before you put the food on.  I always soak them so they don't burn really quickly, but they make a very aromatic smoke.  Cinnamon sticks also work well, if that will work with the dish you're making.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD