Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bratwurst

Options
any suggestions on temperature to cook brats for a direct grill? How long should I cook as well?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Medium heat - around 350 or so.  I wouldn't cook for time so much as color - you just want them browned, not burned, though preferences vary.  They don't take long direct - maybe 20 min tops?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    The way I have done brats is indirect at around 350-375 dome and I just keep looking in at them from time to time..I would guess about 6 beers and they should be done..Hope this helps..Enjoy.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I've have not egged brats yet but in my past gasser life I like to brown them up medium direct  then transfer them to a beer and onion bath with some red pepper flake. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

I have made these several times following Adam Perry Lang's recipe from Serious Barbecue.  Basically, they are braised in a beer broth with onions, garlic, caraway seeds, parsley, thyme, red pepper and vegetable oil before grilling direct.  Great results!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Some may recall I'm a bit of a "nut" about brats, never, Never, NEVER "pre cook" them before they hit the grill, it changes the texture of the meat.  I put them on the BGE at 300-350 direct and with BBQ tongs (do not pierce the skin if possible) turn them every few minutes, usually about 15 minutes and they are done.  On a usual day about 3 12 oz beers for me, if i'm hitting 6 beers during a brat cook it has been a bad day.  As a little kid growing up just outside Sheboygan, WI I was taught to cook brats by feel, when nice and firm to the touch and a nice "bounce" when tapped with the side of your tongs and they are done!  At this point they go into the "brat tub" of heated beer (some do butter and onions as well) to keep  temp for serving while I finish grilling burgers or samich steaks for the wife (she does not like brats! weird I know).
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Depends. Are you doing beer brats, grilled brats, onions and peppers and sauerkraut?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Depends. Are you doing beer brats, grilled brats, onions and peppers and sauerkraut?
    Now my "crazy" comes out...Same cooking method as above for all 3!

Beer brats, are made with beer, IN the meat mix.  I like to use Bock in mine.     

If topping with kraut/green? peppers (yuck, green peppers are nasty!), cook as above and replace the "brat tub" with the kraut/peppers mix.
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
    As a cheesehead I do the following

Soak brats all day in beer and onions. Par-boil them before grilling. Just brown them on the grill. Then throw them back in the beer and onions if you have a big group. Don't don't over cook them. You'll hear the juice come out

a nice chewy brat bun and killer kraut recipe is a must have
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
    Killer kraut recipe

4 bay leaves
    2 pinches juniper berries
    1 Apple diced small
    1 onion diced small
    2 pinches caraway seeds
    1.5 T gemuse bouillon
    salt pork pieces
    pepper to taste

bag of Hebrew national kraut

combine all ingredients bring to boil and simmer 30 min

all a small potato sliced real thin. Cook till thick -30 min or so
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    For something different cook them indirect @ 250 with applewood for smoke until they reach an internal temp of about 180. Should take about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Great color and flavor and a good snap to the casing. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Medium heat - around 350 or so.  I wouldn't cook for time so much as color - you just want them browned, not burned, though preferences vary.  They don't take long direct - maybe 20 min tops?
    +1
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Guess I'm weird. I like mine with a nice char on them. Same with hot dogs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa