Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm joining the party!

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

Spatchcock and Butt. 

Go ahead with a Beer Can but I think you'll find Spatch is easier, less mess and a fine result. 
    Spatch cooked over the plate setter low and slow? I'd love to cook a spatch for first fire. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Are you on firewood hoarders?
    No. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited April 2015
    Options

ok there is a smoking piney there who lives near the Pic.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome.... You are in for a ride....  ENJOY IT!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokingPiney
    Options

I didn't mean to pinch someone's name for my forum nick.  :)
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I didn't mean to pinch someone's name for my forum nick.  :)N
    Not at all, I thought we might be neighbors!
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Welcome to the madness. If your going to pickup the xl next week. Might as well grap the second egg while your there.
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome... and enjoy the ride.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    XL BGE is in da house!  =)

I watched the assembly videos a bunch of times, so putting this beast together went smoothly. I managed to wrestle it onto the nest by myself. I finished just as the rain started blowing in.

I bought a plate setter, and the store threw in a bag of Humphrey's lump, some fire starters, an ash tool, and a grill gripper. 

First fire is scheduled for Saturday and I can't wait - spatchcock chicken indirect!  :)
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    XL BGE is in da house!  =)

I watched the assembly videos a bunch of times, so putting this beast together went smoothly. I managed to wrestle it onto the nest by myself. I finished just as the rain started blowing in.

I bought a plate setter, and the store threw in a bag of Humphrey's lump, some fire starters, an ash tool, and a grill gripper. 

First fire is scheduled for Saturday and I can't wait - spatchcock chicken indirect!  :)
    Picks or it didn't happen! Have fun!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    My wife has the camera and she's out. It's also pouring rain outside. I'll take some pics of the smoke zone soon and post.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Spatchcock and Butt. 

Go ahead with a Beer Can but I think you'll find Spatch is easier, less mess and a fine result. 
    Spatch cooked over the plate setter low and slow? I'd love to cook a spatch for first fire. 
    First let me welcome you to the Eggdiction.  You will find the chicken cooks more evenly when you spatchcock it.  I am cheating tonight and doing a thigh/leg together and a breast all bone in.  Another good L&S is to do a pork butt.  After that maybe do a reverse sear steak.  Just use the search feature for what you are looking to do.  There is a lot of help when you get stuck.  Save the brisket to you figure out how to control the temp on the egg.  It isn't like a Weber kettle and no where near a gas grill.  I will never go back to a gas grill if I can help it.  You must be a big guy or very strong to get that XL into the nest by your self.  That thing weighs 200 pounds.  I'm a big guy and I wouldn't even try it.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I'm a big guy...LOL! I'm really chomping at the bit to  try tons of things, but I guess I'm stuck at 350 degrees or less until this gasket seats. How long does that usually take?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Let her rip, it under warranty. 

Seriously, I think I cooked a couple times low, but the temp got away from me the first time I was going to do a butt. Cook 3. No problem and I nearly wrapped the thermo. 

PS. when you get above 400ish. DONT FORGET TO BURP THE EGG!!

PSS you will forget at least once. 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Thanks! I'll do a couple of slow cooks first before I put the spurs to it.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Let her rip, it under warranty. 

Seriously, I think I cooked a couple times low, but the temp got away from me the first time I was going to do a butt. Cook 3. No problem and I nearly wrapped the thermo. 

PS. when you get above 400ish. DONT FORGET TO BURP THE EGG!!

PSS you will forget at least once. 
    I can attest to the PSS.  Did it once and haven't ever again.  Luckily I had on a long sleeve tee shirt, only the top of my head and eyebrows got singed.  Be careful on pizza cooks, I haven't had it happen, but I have heard of flames shooting out of the bottom at times.  It's at least not as bad as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUhwGLJhsI

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokingPiney
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Question: I've seen videos of felt wrapped around the chimney to hold the daisy wheel on. I didn't get felt and daisy wheel fits pretty loosely. I guess care is in order to keep from dropping the daisy wheel? Sorry for all of the noob questions.  :)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Should be a gasket up there. You're missing something. 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I looked through all of the boxes twice - no gasket. I guess I'll head to the store soon to get it. 
  • SmokingPiney
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My brand new XL BGE and my "Smoking Zone"-  a work in progress. As you can see, the roof leaks a bit. My contractor has promised to fix it. Its leaking around the exhaust fan I had installed in the roof to clear the smoke. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Another vote for spatchcock, welcome aboard!
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Spatchcock it will be for first fire.  :)
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Welcome  =)

Jacksonville FL
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Congrats and welcome aboard.  You'll love your XL Egg.  That looks like a nice cooking area you got going on there.  Smoke from the Egg, a cooler fool of coldies and a blue tooth speaker belting some tunes and you'll have it made!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ladeback69
    Options
    My brand new XL BGE and my "Smoking Zone"-  a work in progress. As you can see, the roof leaks a bit. My contractor has promised to fix it. Its leaking around the exhaust fan I had installed in the roof to clear the smoke. 
    The gasser may feelike neglected soon.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    I am a new XL owner and love it and this group great info
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    The gasser may feelike neglected soon.

It just became a big side burner.